The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I hope you'll forgive. I'm not soap boxing or lecturing but there seems to be an interest in the insect subject. This isn't a rant about my neighbour, it illustrates the issue.

Below are two photos of the hedgerow bottom at the top of my garden, one is mine, the other my neighbour. Habitat destruction and chemical use means nothing has grown under my neighbour's hedge for seven years. This hedgerow is about 600 metres long and ends one metre from the edge of a small wood. Apart from this one strip the rest is like mine. About 15 feet from my neighbour's strip there is a large oak tree with a resident owl.

We still have a lot of wildlife in the village though this is declining. Hedgehogs, mice, voles, rats, various amphibians, bird life, insect, etc. We have top predators for the very local area - owls.

The hedgerow is a super highway for all these creatures helping them move safely from one area to another. It provides cover and safety along with breeding grounds, food etc. But if you're a little vole and suddenly have to break cover with an owl looking down? Basically you're done for.

This is what habitat destruction does. When this little strip is amplified across tens of thousands of acres it's easy to understand the issue. What my neighbour chose to do is unnecessary and very sadly we're making those same decisions all over the world on a far bigger scale.

1000014795.jpg

1000014796.jpg

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Just back from the vets with Molly as I suspected her teeth were looking a bit iffy again. She needs one extraction and a clean and scale so at least £535 or slightly more if any of the others look suspect when they have a proper look under anaesthetic. I love her to bits though and won’t have her living with a sore mouth so it’s got to be done.

A week on Thursday for her op

Phew. It’s warm now. I managed to make up a 4 mile route that kept me under the trees for 75% of the time so not too bad. Glad to get back though. I think the pjs will be going on.

Anyone else noticed a distinct lack of butterflies this year? Even on the buddleia bushes there wasn’t a single butterfly. A few years ago they would have been covered on a day like this. It’s a bit worrying.

Same in Ireland . I plant 100s of marigold seeds every year and used to have a multitude of butterflies and bees on the blossoms years ago . Today is a lovely sunny day , the marigolds look great but hardly one butterfly or bee . During the covid there were at least some . Its very depressing. Very few flies or bluebottles fly in the kitchen door either now and hardly a fly stuck or car grill on headlights after a long drive across country.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There was an article on Google news about it tother day. If I had been in a better mood I would have read it.

30 years ago my car would have been spattered with bugs this time of year. Sadly no more.

What's the mechanism behind this drop in insect numbers?

@Mo1959 fyi I follow a great butterfly group on FB, “East Scottish Butterflies”. Lots of photo’s and sightings, I’ve found the group really useful to learn about what’s about in different months and how to identify them.

I used to, study and photograph UK butterflies.
Apparently there are 58 species recognised as UK ones
There are over 1000 UK moths.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have very tight painful muscle in my lower back, I did it yesterday cleaning my teeth, yes I do still have some. It is not comfortable, no gym or swim for me tonight.

My eldest and his wife have just arrived in La Palma. Unfortunately, his luggage has not.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Oooh. I can seel a bit of a breeze now. I have all the doors and windows open and it feels a lot better now. Heaven in fact.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Dave, Paul, hope this cheers you up a bit...

An afternoon of Scorchio but I managed to cobble together version one of our Hedgehog feeding station. It's very " Heath Robinson " but I had to work with what was to hand and I knew the spare bit of wooden edging would come in handy one day. It's a mish mash of cable ties, floorboard screws and a cat bowl that I got from the " Going for Bust " charity shop earlier today for £1.
The camera is inside the feeding station to protect it from the elements. It is quite a large box, the wide angle camera lens has made everything seem close together. Let's see what tonight brings... ( and yes, that is an original Black and Decker WorkMate )

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6208.JPG

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have noticed the lack of bees this year. Its a sad situation. And we don't get many butterflies either.

I commented to MrsP MrsP only the other day about the lack of bees this year. Normally in recent years there have been loads of different species of bee around, especially on the lavender which lots of gardens grow it. This year I think because it was cold and wet for so long many colonies might have perished because of the lack of food.

We have just had dinner - take away because we have no
sink
drainer
hob
oven
or dishwasher

Yup kitche is still "being done". The plan was for the sink to be in today but it was late arriving
the hob (induction) is all wired in but has also been flagged as arriving late so that will be tomorrow as well

which is all fair enough - they are supposed to be taking all week

anyway - I had chicken curry from the chippy

only thing is - my tooth is missing presumed swallowed!!!

OK - it has been loose for a month or so and I think it was a crown - but it would ahppily move up and down a few mm
recently it has been a bit more wobbly sideway so I was thinking about going to teh dentist

but now there seems no point
I suppose it will work its way out eventually but I am NOT trying to get it back!!!

Top Bottom