The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Had an enjoyable day in Wellls Next The Sea.Had Crab salad for lunch.No rain and quite sunny.Lunch followed by ice cream

062AD322-C12E-4D04-8D51-9B8AD1C224EC.jpeg

C16D10E7-9C33-4422-8021-B9D26BAB844B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Watched the BBC English news to see if they would mention the top news story of the day. They did but only fleetingly. Mostly they were talking about stuff happening in Westminster.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks.

We are staying right by South Marine Park in an AirBnB apartment so will take a look at The Marine.

Not too bothered about the weather as we are mainly walking during the day and neither of us like walking if it is too hot.

OK, enjoy. Plenty of walking along the Coast, towards Whitburn, Sunderland/Seaburn. If you go that way, you will pass Souter Lighthouse, which has some claim to fame, first lighthouse in the world to be designed and built to use alternating electric current. Going in the opposite direction, you encounter the River Tyne, but, there is a ferry, (pleasant pub near the ferry too, Alum House) which will take to North Shields, Fish Quay area worth a visit, if you like Fish and Chips, also, a pub, Low Lights Tavern. Metro will take you inland, and/or to Newcastle. Newcastle Quayside/Ouseburn area worth. a view (Ship Inn, Ouseburn). However, South Shields Metro station is a bit "dodgy" in the evening, lots of "doubtful" characters hanging about.

South Shields even has a Roman Fort.

Despite the pub recommendations, I don't have a drink problem, honest ;)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
She was talking about the road ones I presume

there were always the ferries!

she remembered walking through the old tunnel the day before it opened to cars etc

WHen I was little I walked through the new one with her on the same arrangement
You ever done the road race that goes through the tunnel?

You ever done the road race that goes through the tunnel?

always like the idea - but it turns out the second half of it is uphill and that sort of puts me off!!!!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I thought Mrs Tkk looked respendent in her purple pedal pushers and TuTu, but we were put into the shade by the new friend we made, you can't see from the photo but his upper and lower front teeth had tiny diamonds set in them 😎
As for race report, there was the Traditional " Le Mans " start where we had to run to our folded bikes, unfold them and set off. Unfortunately Mrs Tkk, had a bit of a mechanical so I quickly stepped in to giver her a hand with the unfolding which meant we were last off the grid. There's a seriously steep down ramp and the start / finish of each lap. When I met it the first time I was a tad apprehensive, by lap three I was giving it my all, safe in the knowledge that there are so many excellent Hospitals within quite a short distance.
I don't usually post photo's but here you go.

View attachment 735228

View attachment 735229

View attachment 735230
Fame at last, Mrs Tkk appears in a GCN video (@ 2:31)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GN1OXBNgTY&ab_channel=GlobalCyclingNetwork

screenman

Legendary Member
Right @screenman
I am visiting my sons pub this coming Sunday. I hope you can make it.
AND.... to top it off........they have 7 bedrooms and I have got one for you FOC.
Please let me know ASAP so I can confirm it with him.
You will like the family, they are all down to earth caring people.

I will pop over for a hour or so, give me a time, I am busy on Saturday and Monday, but I will happily make the time on Sunday.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
OK, enjoy. Plenty of walking along the Coast, towards Whitburn, Sunderland/Seaburn. If you go that way, you will pass Souter Lighthouse, which has some claim to fame, first lighthouse in the world to be designed and built to use alternating electric current. Going in the opposite direction, you encounter the River Tyne, but, there is a ferry, (pleasant pub near the ferry too, Alum House) which will take to North Shields, Fish Quay area worth a visit, if you like Fish and Chips, also, a pub, Low Lights Tavern. Metro will take you inland, and/or to Newcastle. Newcastle Quayside/Ouseburn area worth. a view (Ship Inn, Ouseburn). However, South Shields Metro station is a bit "dodgy" in the evening, lots of "doubtful" characters hanging about.

South Shields even has a Roman Fort.

Despite the pub recommendations, I don't have a drink problem, honest ;)

We like all the NE coast, was in Whitley Bay 4 weeks ago which was nice. Very friendly people there.

Spent a day in Newcastle which was also nice. We had previously only been there for footy matches as away fans.

One of our planned walks is from South Shields to Seaburn and return by Metro.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I will pop over for a hour or so, give me a time, I am busy on Saturday and Monday, but I will happily make the time on Sunday.

Shame you couldn't stay.
We will get there late afternoon......maybe 5ish.
I need to tell you.....I have gone 3 days without really deep sobbing. I miss her and my heart aches constantly but I do believe the pain gets easier.
Thinking of of you.

Top Bottom