The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Pie and chips today

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Phew. Warm here too. Thought I’d better get a wander done. That’s enough for me today. I think I might just stick the pj’s on. Comfier for lounging about and cooler too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I’ll be back to paying tax next year once I get my state pension.

It's irritating still paying tax in retirement, when I look at my income tax contributions over the years. Especially during my peak earnings period '99 to '05.

We get clobbered as we have a decent amount of money coming in each year.

Although I have 10% of Mrs SD's personal allowance to offset a little bit of tax on my part.

We use the rest of her personal allowance + the £1000 savings interest allowance (for each of us) and her £5000 starter savings allowance to mop up at least some of our non-ISA investment interest. It's surprising how many people are not aware of the latter allowance.

Here's hoping ISA's survive the forthcoming 5 years! (Staying just the right side of the NCAP threshold there!)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
55k.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tkk are having an unplanned night at the Premier Inn at Southampton airport. Our routine train journey from Waterfront to Poole got as far as Eastleigh, due to a signalling outage there sre no trains further south. There was a humungous group of people milling around waiting for rail replacement buses and the Station staff were overwhelmed. Mrs Tkk attended Southampton university and knows the area reasonably well. We went online and quickly booked a room for the night, jumped on the Brommies and cycled to the hotel. Dinner booked for 5:30 as we're famished. Hopefully the trains are back running in the morning 🤞

Top Bottom