The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I enjoyed the recent midweek Scotland Outdoors podcast hearing Pathhead resident Karine Polwart talking about watching the geese on Fala Moor.
Must try to catch that. My grandparents lived in Pathhead and we used to visit. The field opposite their house seemed to be filled with poppies but now probably houses. Not been there for at least 20 years.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,

We're meeting a friend for Cream Tea today.
Planning to walk into town as it's only 4 1/2 miles, rain is forecast and we don't want to arrive looking like drowned rats so we may follow the bus route instead of the scenic way.
Have a lovely peaceful day folks ☔🚶‍♀️🏃‍♂️🚴‍♀️🏊‍♂️

UPDATE:
Arrived early, it's raining in Edinburgh ☔☔ venue doesn't open till 12:00 so after a quick detour to Lush we've taken refuge in a pub🍻
A swift pint to set us up for our cream tea 😋

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Started off wet and windy. Calmac say livestock and motorbikes will not be carried on MV Coruisk for the next couple of days. A relatively small boat so will roll a lot crossing the Firth of Lorne. Nothing in comparison to some of the smallish boats of years ago and even bigger ones sometimes went round the top of Lismore to meet the swell head on rather than roll. Probably some regulation now that forbids such common sense seamanship.
Sun is now out but may not last.
Got a call from the physio who said she had passed me on the road as she was heading into work.
Another one keeping an eye on me. We had a chat where she said that she had stopped cycling around near her house on the west side of the island due to the mixture of incompetence and aggression she met from holiday motor traffic. A couple of roadies who probably cycle faster than many of the vehicles told me also that they found holiday motorists frightening and dangerous.
It brings on other problems but more and more people are saying roll on winter and hope they all b----- off.

Shopping done, “run” done (I’m starting again after a 12 month lay off), breadmaker on, washing machine on, phone calls with Dad’s care home and with hard of hearing Mum had, history of Shetland looked up and lunch eaten. Phew, I need a snooze in front of the telly now !

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Small fish & chips partaken of.

Post prandial time back at the van now.:smile:

12boy

Guru
The blizzard came and went, dumping 8 " of snow, and since the trees are still fully leaved, many, many branches were broken as well. Spent thge last couple of days gathering them in piles about pickup load size, busting branches, or cutting them with a buck saw, and the hard part, cutting down 4-5 hours worth with a pole saw. Don't have the upper body strength I once had......my coldframes and hoop houses worked well to protect the 40 or so potted plants in the cold frames and the tomatoes, cukes and squash in the hoop houses. It was -3C for 2 nights so they worked well. I will make 5 trips or so to the balefill with the other hapless folks whose trees were trashed to drop off the branches today. Not all bad, as they will be made into compost and wood chips and thereby returned to the earth. Word has it we'll get another cold spell in 10 days and I sure hope it isn't another heavy wet snow event. These trees need to lose their leaves to survive that.
On a good note, my sheepherders wagon, parked under the crab apple tree got the snow and many branches, and apart from a roof spar bouncing out of its sockets no harm was done. Maybe tomorrow there will a bike ride instead of cleaning up.

Top Bottom