The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
Nice bike @Mo1959 :okay:
Value wise Ribble and Dolan seem to do very good bikes for a good price :okay:

I've never ridden a Ribble but rode a Dolan Dual for several years, it's still in the garage, and it was a wonderful ride.

PaulSB

Squire
I'm sat outside with a glass of red. The birds are singing, there isn't a breath of wind, it's warm and I can hear the sound of leather on willow as the cricket club have practice. A perfect summer evening.

IMG_20190624_200128063.jpg

PaulSB

Squire
Is that your garden? It’s lovely!

It's not all my garden. We live on a row of terraced cottages, there are nine and we are fourth in the row. My garden is the bottom left foreground, the rest of the picture is across other gardens. The real beauty is there are no hedges or fences.

To live here you have to accept everyone knows everything about you and what you're doing.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I've never ridden a Ribble but rode a Dolan Dual for several years, it's still in the garage, and it was a wonderful ride.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get out in the winter on what you would term best summer bikes worth thousands.
The 2 brands we have mentioned above are well known for producing reasonably priced excellent winter bikes that tick all the boxes.
I could never contemplate trashing my best bike on winter roads :cry::cry:

PaulSB

Squire
It never ceases to amaze me how many people get out in the winter on what you would term best summer bikes worth thousands.
The 2 brands we have mentioned above are well known for producing reasonably priced excellent winter bikes that tick all the boxes.
I could never contemplate trashing my best bike on winter roads :cry::cry:

No neither would I. When I retired I bought myself a beautiful Cervelo C3. I've since upgraded it with carbon wheels and tubeless. It's unlikely I can ever afford such a thing again and I would never take her out in the winter.

Her name is Carys which I imagine @welsh dragon will get!

PaulSB

Squire
Old almshousing/houses?

We live in a Lancashire mill village. There are 33 original cottages, a primary school, reading room, chapel, cricket club, bowling green and the mill owners enormous house. The village is on the banks of the Leeds Liverpool canal. Around the village there has been development meaning there are another 45 more modern properties, fortunately these don't impinge on us. The village was originally built by the Parke family to entice local workers to their paper mill which manufactured very high quality paper and bank note paper. Most of this has now been knocked down to make way for a development, 25 years ago, of new houses and what remains is used by various companies, mainly car related. It,s currently scheduled for housing development.

The mill owners were Methodist so there is no pub. Everyone went to chapel twice on Sunday. Up to the mid 60s there was a team employed to maintain the outside of the houses, everything was painted the same colour etc. lovely front gardens. The school and chapel were built to benefit and "educate" the workforce. There is/was a reading room which was effectively a small library again for the villagers. The upper floor of this building had a fully sprung floor for dancing. Kathleen Ferrier often performed there - she was born a few miles away.

I do appreciate how lucky I am, though we didn't know this 38 years ago when we arrived!!

Top Bottom