The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hoping to get out to see 'the Tin Bath' on Sunday, as it's passing through Wakefield Kirkgate

http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/the-tin-bath-14-02
I can see some kind of attraction in taking a ride pulled by a steam train, but you sit in a carriage and can't see the engine! Far better to do as you are and go and see them going past.

One of my best steam viewings - accidently! - was on a bike ride somewhere in the midlands - can;t remember exactly where. We stopped at a station on a steam line to visit the tea shop, sat outside in the sun with steam trains coming and going. And we were all enjoying the steam trains so much that when we had all finished our tea and cake and it was time to get on our bikes again, we all unanimously decided that actually, we really needed another round of tea and cake so we could sit and watch the trains for longer!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I can see some kind of attraction in taking a ride pulled by a steam train, but you sit in a carriage and can't see the engine! Far better to do as you are and go and see them going past.

One of my best steam viewings - accidently! - was on a bike ride somewhere in the midlands - can;t remember exactly where. We stopped at a station on a steam line to visit the tea shop, sat outside in the sun with steam trains coming and going. And we were all enjoying the steam trains so much that when we had all finished our tea and cake and it was time to get on our bikes again, we all unanimously decided that actually, we really needed another round of tea and cake so we could sit and watch the trains for longer!

I like to sit near the rear so you can see the engine on curves. In my experience they break down.

Managed to catch 'Tangmere' at Temple Hirst junction this afternoon

Not the best place, due to the lines being on an embankment, but by the time I got there, it was too late to risk going elsewhere

Only time for 2 images too

Southern Region. Bulleid. 34067. 'Tangmere'. 4.JPG Southern Region. Bulleid. 34067. 'Tangmere'. 5.JPG

Exactly! Plus, the only steam trains I've been on had an annoying feature of "pulsing" as they were going along, in that you could feel the acceleration and then slight deceleration as they went along (and not just when first setting off when it was more noticeable)). Slightly disconcerting. No idea if you still had that effect if they were going top speed on a main line, but on both the Quainton & Nene Valley railways I noticed it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I had to do a doubletake when I arrived at Kings Cross today. There was a class 86 attached to the Caledonian Sleeper train at the next platform.

mpiwec7gkgYP_nNRhgecJ8A9HaJTZIJWRjFgrD9bhHV1w0WNx8OpBt-A1G0EvMsa6BgVbpPmNJc-klge5DJnojMfvvTCTWcjLv3IeiwfXWSoXN3rxgXcnWoY-VZRKdcXCJSbwVcSpfBtplvSi-44JlZbbYYGrxcO--bKjIarC4zmsUEU1N0bF2jtenOffw6d6iP5WS3BzHeXsmiyCMuuXAcxa9G7cEVeGkHLFN8e-yig7YkxgoYST4Bqz0kwe8QozN3-x0LFH5xPIFQ4VvbunShsiJGNXz_ODNYFTyrM1mwSEuDj83arGpLpZ8MAEIbrJW4QgPgDTwVewbz2jggTFkRaq7Qd_faLydp_UDtpZKKxBvHjahvK8uvyyHiS_3HmxTZ-FWYZpIIKwqCfXoxh0PxLSk4aqRT65v8Pmr0B5YjDg9CndSKKNhG_3sDORW1bi3sDw5E4cwzO3EaJ_8I5ErrBHjuGZa2jSxpQGVohWBermsKXM9BfgeUwaI57IpQ-nVvA6pDH8tjM-X1HoY3JkoYNq5F-0Z_gzHduo2Wuxu9A9CQL9ZffFZ0B2mvkWr1Wl9VjIQ=w1348-h759-no

It turns out that the service has been running from Kings Cross instead of Euston for a week or so to accommodate engineering works on the west coast mainline.

Returning to Kings Cross with @User14044 we spotted a Festiniog Railway locomotive, Princess, in the mall area.

UVtCRYKyzVxpe8FgpxWJVRhxF-1FHYdeybBAxFK1V1o1RENzWre8CL9ZM35SFSpEGAkfJ6JR5pfn8SuNBIsuAhA1GI6UDkIQr3TvU2VXKwhfeGwmEF8oqpRmsbLiYl9dn26VLXlaWmnjwNEgrQoce5eCK38yxIe4kWirjfEAt2WwrMGWBt3Xr5f5g00CHsc66XE8McLZIFPNdVbf3y1kPm-WNXNIMREvX3Zt_bF0ql2E_mNlCSQRwOXKaSF_4qWEDYjtyEDjyAdCZ86rLJNlNlFIrpWCw7RxN6LiAfwgK_uul-enOt1_OkpU_wGi3lrfj2GfBFWBFCSmPfG0fU_LDWNg7WdMlD84LLfAcEHUQ7_CAf1gYsHPm0UBPPsz87dMzN-UcQjCoUNBnBsvohEgGwqaukhhWPXrmAhuST06Kj15rCIn0VmPmIxhRcL4Q7dCdOAh30d62iALLjS92m8Gf_UrapENLsz_JvREfAQwbqPn0luKAelhPthCJwgEXWN-pjrhZxNUouyA6z190r-QkCWxryDVqKrEyhAlNxt3OJyHpcf9d12XqD0DY_vd96yn0lYI8Q=w1348-h759-no

No Dragon, & a different colour.................

Ivor-dragon-singing-245p5.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
20160224_161530.jpg
20160224_161443.jpg
Today at New Barnet --
Resplendent in BR Brunswick Green with lion and wheel motif. Shame about the German style smoke deflectors though. I know she carried them into the 60's, but I think they shouldn't be there.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I shall be up early to get a photo or two as the Scotsman goes north through New Barnet , back on home turf.

Top Bottom