The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hmm, 1115 arrival in Carlisle, 1414 departure. I may cycle up to have a look if the weather's ok.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll be with some Veg who will talk to you endelessly about trains if you want him to or not.

Honestly, this guy, the last time, I tried to pretend I was tired to get him to stop talking. Not a chance, he never took the hint, and the last deperate thing I remember him saying was, and I quote

'You know that Russia bought some locos from Prussia, and took their buffers off!! * Where he proceeded to think it was utterly hilarious and breaths out in an absurd way to laugh*.

Yeah, I like trains, but, shut up and bugger off!

Unfortunately due to various reasons, I can't get rid of him..... Lucky me!!

they were at their best when the only plate on their bodysides read "On hire from English Electric (leasings) Ltd".

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This is a bit of a speculative one here, but it suddenly occurred to me that I had forgotten all about the 7 class 155 Sprinters, so I looked them up (yes, those funny little units that were converted to the class 153s save for 7 of them - There originally were 42 of them).

Anyway, it says they were the first of the Sprinters, and did lots of testing for the other later types.

It got me thinking, if you were the person or one of the people at the NRM who decides these things, what type, out of all the Sprinter types (class 150, 153, 155, 156, 158 and 159), what would you choose for the national collection??
I would be inclined to say either a class 156 or '158, but each type has it's own merits and pitfalls, so it isn't as clear cut as all that.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
This is a bit of a speculative one here, but it suddenly occurred to me that I had forgotten all about the 7 class 155 Sprinters, so I looked them up (yes, those funny little units that were converted to the class 153s save for 7 of them - There originally were 42 of them).

Anyway, it says they were the first of the Sprinters, and did lots of testing for the other later types.

It got me thinking, if you were the person or one of the people at the NRM who decides these things, what type, out of all the Sprinter types (class 150, 153, 155, 156, 158 and 159), what would you choose for the national collection??
I would be inclined to say either a class 156 or '158, but each type has it's own merits and pitfalls, so it isn't as clear cut as all that.

150001 would be the most likely

Top Bottom