The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Who,s going to the diamond deltic weekend at shildon :music:

Over rated things that just make a monotonous drone if you ask me. :crazy:

I'm sure several thousand veg fans will disagree though.

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Who,s going to the diamond deltic weekend at shildon :music:

Don't forget to pop in at the Railway Museum at Darlington's North Road Station and visit the works of NELPG at Hopetown works just over from the station where Tornado was build and where

I just might go. I'll be in Darlington that weekend and Shildon's just up the road. If they did sychronised engine starts and and higher speed engine runs with the three deltics then my visit would be guaranteed. I spent many a year at the ends of platforms 1 and 4 at Darlingtons Bank Top station feeling the platforms shake as these locomotives accelerated away towards London and Edinburgh respectively.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been to Arley to get my fix of steam power today as Tornado is paying a visit.

DSC0002949.jpg

DSC0002951.jpg

DSC0002958.jpg

Also in steam today: Erlestoke Manor......

DSC0002962.jpg

...........and Churchward 2-8-0 No.2857

DSC0002965.jpg

A final snap of Tornado on the return trip with the signalman about to exchange tokens.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
How about something a little more humble?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Zmss2d6NI

I went down in November and December 2004 to catch the last few weeks of service for the class 205s on the Uckfield line, staying in Oxted.

Best thing I did regarding them (and the old slam door EMUs which I continued to go and see during their last year 2005). My only regret was not doing it sooner as I never got round to having a '207 over the Marshes between Ashford and Folkstone.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I went down in November and December 2004 to catch the last few weeks of service for the class 205s on the Uckfield line, staying in Oxted.

Best thing I did regarding them (and the old slam door EMUs which I continued to go and see during their last year 2005). My only regret was not doing it sooner as I never got round to having a '207 over the Marshes between Ashford and Folkstone.
Can't be long now before slam-door is heritage and special charter only.

How many regular services still have them?

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Can't be long now before slam-door is heritage and special charter only.

How many regular services still have them?

Anglia or whatever they are called this week still use Mk3 (and probably 2) coaches, as does the Sleeper services. A handful of other operators will use them as well, but as for units.... Ummm, there might still be some class 121s kicking about - The last I heard they were working for Arriva Trains Wales in Cardiff, but that is probably at an end now.

classic33

Leg End Member
Anglia or whatever they are called this week still use Mk3 (and probably 2) coaches, as does the Sleeper services. A handful of other operators will use them as well, but as for units.... Ummm, there might still be some class 121s kicking about - The last I heard they were working for Arriva Trains Wales in Cardiff, but that is probably at an end now.
They'll be headed this way then. Always seem to end up with ex Arriva South Wales stock.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Is my memory correct, that it was a great big diesel engine stuck in the middle of a guard's van?

Not slap bang in the middle of the guard's accomodation, no :laugh:, but there were different types of Thumper, and the Southern Region did muck about with certain units, also I have never been on a 207 and on the class 201 only the once, so I don't know exactly what you are referring too.
A class 205 didn't have the guard's van next to the engine though I don't think, at least not on the ones I rode in.

Certainly though I am pretty sure there was a guard's van or at least something similar on some of the NIR Thumpers, so I just assumed some of your London ones would be the same....

EDIT:
Sorry, misread your message earlier, hence my edited response.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Chiltern runs (or ran?) 121s on the short Aylesbury-Princes Risborough service. I saw them a few years back and according to Wikipedia they're still there.

Top Bottom