The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
@Mr Celine is right, they need to top 'n' tail it as there is no run round at Tweedbank, and the class 67s are usually stabled at Waverley as they work the night's sleeper services, so it makes sense to use them during the day. @User, as you'll know, the railways aren't some sort of museum contrary to what some people think you know - They used a diseasal, big deal, that is the nature of the beast these days.

And as for Mr Celine asking 'why not use classic traction', yes, that would have been nice, but what you clearly haven't realised is that silver '67 is 67026 (I think). The loco with comemorative markings to celebrate 60 years of the Queen on the throne, so..... Since the Queen just opened the line the other week there and it was also used on the rear of that same train , and in fact was working the line on Thursday and no doubt other days too with the A4 60009 Union Of South Africa and probably 60163 Tornado too...... I'll let you fill in the blanks, but needless to say, it is probably the dedicated loco for the special services.

Besides, it will also be there to provide electric train heating and so on, and also, they will want to get the line cleared quickly at the end of the day before the rush hour gets too hairy, and they need something that can be relied on to do the job, innit!

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
Hi all,
I've had cause to travel to/from London the past few weeks, and I've noticed many, if not all, of the Pendolinos have had their 'bonnet covers' that hide the couplers removed.

I know there's a few railway peeps on here- anyone know the reason why, and if they'll be getting them back? They don't look quite as sleek with the covers missing!

Ian

irw

Quadricyclist
Its to allow coupling with non electrified locomotives. They're supposed to be getting them back once the whole fleet has been modified. Same story three years ago as well though.

Also allows for a class 57 to be coupled to them on some runs. scroll down to virgin trains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_57

I always thought the point of the Thunderbird Class 57's was that they could attach to the Pendolino's for 'rescue' scenarios?

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought it was for similar, but havin seen one at the end of a set, more than once in Leeds, got me asking the drivers.

Link says otherwise though.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I always thought the point of the Thunderbird Class 57's was that they could attach to the Pendolino's for 'rescue' scenarios?

So did I. But also If a Pendolino had to be diverted onto a non electrified line, or, the train's destination is non electrified, say Holyhead or Aberdeen, where they have turned up, a thunderbird would be attached.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Don't the '57s have those ugly Scafenberg (spelling) couplings, a bit like what are used for shunting/dragging Eurostars and so on?

If so, then I imagine they are either modifying them, or making them a bit more attractive (not difficult).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hi all,
I've had cause to travel to/from London the past few weeks, and I've noticed many, if not all, of the Pendolinos have had their 'bonnet covers' that hide the couplers removed.

I know there's a few railway peeps on here- anyone know the reason why, and if they'll be getting them back? They don't look quite as sleek with the covers missing!

Ian

Not convinced that they should be allowed to run them with the covers up or missing, as there isn't much yellow without them.

Design of the covers can be a problem. The covers are made from reinforced plastic with an excellent fire performance, but this makes them brittle and deform when hitting large objects such as pheasants, partridges, pigeons, etc. This means that they need to be replaced even after only light damage, and instead tend to be left on and then jam.

BrumJim

Don't the '57s have those ugly Scafenberg (spelling) couplings, a bit like what are used for shunting/dragging Eurostars and so on?

If so, then I imagine they are either modifying them, or making them a bit more attractive (not difficult).

Scharfenberg. But should be spelled "Dellner" instead. Easy mistake to make - I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

BrumJim

It is also to do with the headlights they have nowadays, a train can be seen along time by the light than when the front of the train becomes visible. No more 100 watt bulbs used as marker lights

Its both; there has been a row recently over whether we need a yellow front end. After all, they don't have it on the continent, and there aren't any recorded problems of seeing trains over there.

Top Bottom