The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think Mr Celine means is that a class 66 in your garden, the nickname for this class of locomotive in the UK is sheds, hence garden shed :smile:

Ha, I didn't get that at all!! I don't know. I shall find out.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
IMG_20150705_152637636.jpg

Spotted in Newhalem, WA.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here's how the Railway Post Office cars worked in the States. Look at about 23:00 for the transfer hook, picking up and delivering mail bags on the fly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv14tiiULwc
Most of these were gone by 1967, and by 1971, all the railroads(excepting the Rio Grande and Rock Island) joined Amtrak readily after this loss of revenue, compounded with government subsidy of competing modes of transport.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ha, I didn't get that at all!! I don't know. I shall find out.

The class 66 were nicknamed 'Sheds' due to the corrugated iron on the sides - It reminded people of the big shed like structures you get on industrial estates and so on.

View attachment 93914 TTACH]93914[/ATTACH] View attachment 93914

The best I can find. The track, the station master and the trainee.

Incidentally, a class 66 in Freightliner livery, like the one in the picture above is a 'Fred' :laugh:

One in DRS (Direct Rail Services) livery was a 'Dred', but that name never really took off AFAIK

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Trains will shortly be returning to my neck of the woods after an absence of 45 years and I'm thinking of becoming a trainspotter. (Not all of this statement is true).
Apparently trainspotters call class 66 locomotives 'sheds'. Your photo appears to be of a model of a class 66. In a garden.

Technically a Trainspotter is one who takes the numbers. To be into trains does not mean you are a Trainspotter.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Whatever happened to the term "Gricer" ?

TOP DEFINITION

gricer
A trainspotter, someone who braves rainy and windy station platforms to catch a glimpse of unusual trains. An unproved etymology holds that this word comes from a humorous pronunciation of “grouse”, making the connection between the supposed resemblance of trainspotting to grouse-shooting. The verb grice and the participle gricing are back-formations from gricer. This is from the website for Times Online and is my sense for the word as it is currently used. I would drop the word 'unusual' as a more generic definition would focus on fascination with trains as evidenced by gricing, i.e. wandering about the planet to see, ride, and photograph them.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Whatever happened to the term "Gricer" ?

TOP DEFINITION

gricer
A trainspotter, someone who braves rainy and windy station platforms to catch a glimpse of unusual trains. An unproved etymology holds that this word comes from a humorous pronunciation of “grouse”, making the connection between the supposed resemblance of trainspotting to grouse-shooting. The verb grice and the participle gricing are back-formations from gricer. This is from the website for Times Online and is my sense for the word as it is currently used. I would drop the word 'unusual' as a more generic definition would focus on fascination with trains as evidenced by gricing, i.e. wandering about the planet to see, ride, and photograph them.

WRONG!!! (As far as I know anyway)

A Gricer is a photographer, not much else. Going out and 'shooting' things, Grousing, makes sense to me!

Gricing is NOT necessarrily Trainspotting!!

There was the Gricer (photographer), the Spotter (the number taker), the Basher (the guys who ride things for 'haulage' and mileage or do certain lines for 'mileage'), being a 'Veg' (a dribbling idiot) etc etc. All seperate, yet interlinked parts of the hobby.

I know all this as I used to do it all in the dim and distant past and I sure as hell wouldn't rely on the 'urban dictionary' for meanings (there will be regional variations, I know, but what I knew is what I have just said).

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
We went to Liverpool (part way) on one on Friday. I quite like the look of them in a no-one-let-the-designers-or-stylists-ponce-about-with-it way, reminiscent of an old SR EMU.

Sorta', except they were were converted from normal MK2 coaches for the Scotish Push Pull services in the late '70s, between Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh - Aberdeen and Inverness using class 47/7s. They then went to London - Norwich services in the early '90s and used with class 86s and more recently have been used all over, mainly on departmental work (including in Nortern Ireland), and now, with DRS!

In fact, 47712 which has recently been painted into the old Scotrail livery is representetive of these coaches' past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom