The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
IMG_20150821_141841149.jpg

Spotted between Sequim and Port Townsend in Washington State.

It is part of a restaurant that seems to have closed permanently.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I do??

It was just a guess becuase I looked up that particular loco (D341.1041) and found a picture of it in a surrounding of fields* working a train to the afore mentioned place. Also, I recognise that livery (or something very similar) as being a private operator from the North East of Italy so, it isn't an entirely unreasonable guess.

* - The actual loaction in Burmjim's picture might be somewhere urban like Arezzo for all I know though. It might even be @Gravity Aided's Desenzano!!

Scarily accurate. Tuscany, Lucignano, which is just down the line from Arezzo.

classic33

Leg End Member
After a gap of 46 years and 8 months I'm pleased to report that the first train departed on time.

View attachment 102820

View attachment 102821
It was five & half minutes before departure, according to the clock, when the first picture was taken. Nice to see they'd a second one to hand, just in case!

Mr Celine

Discordian
It was five & half minutes before departure, according to the clock, when the first picture was taken. Nice to see they'd a second one to hand, just in case!

There were too many people / photographers on the platform to get a decent shot from there so I cycled round to a better vantage point for the actual departure. Also because on the platform my camera, no doubt confused by two strange bright yellow objects (the sun and the front end of a class 158), simply refused to auto focus on anything.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Today was a beautiful sunny day today with hardly any wind, a perfect day for a cycle. Unfortunately I currently have 3rd degree man flu so apart from three miles this morning to get my paper and watch the first train leave Tweedbank that was it for cycling today.
By the afternoon I had recovered sufficiently to actually get on a train. :hyper: A six car 158 almost full on the way to Edinburgh and completely full on the way south, (the normal diagram will be a 2 car), it seemed like most of Gala had gone to Edinburgh for the day. At every bridge there were photographers and people waving, the lay bys on the A7 were filled with cars with more spectators, the back road seemed full of cyclists also stopped and taking photos. On board there was a real party atmosphere. Makes me wonder what the original 1849 opening celebrations must have been like.
The steam specials should be quite impressive going up Borthwick Bank, even the 158s sounded like they were struggling.

The only hitch that I noticed was the automatic station announcements mispronouncing station names. Stow should rhyme with 'now' not 'know' and Newtongrange is normally pronounced 'nitten'.

classic33

Leg End Member
Today was a beautiful sunny day today with hardly any wind, a perfect day for a cycle. Unfortunately I currently have 3rd degree man flu so apart from three miles this morning to get my paper and watch the first train leave Tweedbank that was it for cycling today.
By the afternoon I had recovered sufficiently to actually get on a train. :hyper: A six car 158 almost full on the way to Edinburgh and completely full on the way south, (the normal diagram will be a 2 car), it seemed like most of Gala had gone to Edinburgh for the day. At every bridge there were photographers and people waving, the lay bys on the A7 were filled with cars with more spectators, the back road seemed full of cyclists also stopped and taking photos. On board there was a real party atmosphere. Makes me wonder what the original 1849 opening celebrations must have been like.
The steam specials should be quite impressive going up Borthwick Bank, even the 158s sounded like they were struggling.

The only hitch that I noticed was the automatic station announcements mispronouncing station names. Stow should rhyme with 'now' not 'know' and Newtongrange is normally pronounced 'nitten'.
Try Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd & Todmorden!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

All that for some class 158s??

Wonders will never cease!! :laugh:

Seriously though, I will wait until it has all died down before going to see it (although I am booked onto one of the steam specials next month).

Top Bottom