The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes I always liked the 73s because they were different from everything else.

I also remember reading that due to the weight difference at both ends of the loco, they had to have a counterweight fitted, and if you were to remove it, then theoretically, the loco would start to tip up onto one end! :laugh:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
REALLY??!! :laugh:

Third rail goes as far as Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth and Weymouth. Your idea of Western may be different from mine! :laugh:

I feel like a right anorak now! :blush:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, its bloody WEYMOUTH!! It almost level with Bristol!! :laugh:

I always wanted to see trains on the quay, but alas, never got the chance. I did, however, go on the two Slammer Farewell Tours down there though

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The first Weymouth tour I did was the South West Trains one with VEP 3417 Gordon Pettit and the blue and grey CIG, 1497 (of Lymington branch fame) in May 2005. Waterloo to Weymouth Return. It was a nice warm day, the beach at Weymouth was PACKED, and I got stupidly sunburned because I had forgotten to buy some cream and didn't realise I was getting burned so much.

The second tour, the South East Trains farewell tour in September 2005 was, however something very special indeed!
The train, made up of a CEP (1698), CIG and a VEP started off at Ramsgate at about 6am or similar (I boarded at Deal) and went via Ashford to London Waterloo via the 'Eurostar Curve' at Wandsworth Road. Then out to Weymouth, then back to London again, then down to Ramsgate, back to London (London Bridge) and then back to Ramsgate again, arriving back at about 10 at night. :laugh: A total milage of 500 odd miles apparently.

Between Weymouth and London, via Ramsgate, the CEP was gradually taken apart (with the supposed* permission of SET) internally for souvenirs, seeing as it was to be its very last run. I have now learned since that apparently Ramsgate actually wanted it for a service on Monday Morning, but couldn't use it, so it really WAS its last working.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did a railtour from Sheffield to the south coast back in the late 80's. It was hauled by a triple header combo of class 20's named River Rother, River Sheaf and River Don. The final leg of the journey was hauled (slowly) by a class 09 shunter. Happy days :smile:

Spartak