The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I agree, but as you say, its no excuse!

It's supposed to be a national collection, so there should be a bit of impartiality and fairness. Their class 50 (Thunderer I think) looked to be in reasonable condition last time I went in the yard, not sure if it's a runner though. Unfortunately they're short of undercover storage space.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It's supposed to be a national collection, so there should be a bit of impartiality and fairness. Their class 50 (Thunderer I think) looked to be in reasonable condition last time I went in the yard, not sure if it's a runner though. Unfortunately they're short of undercover storage space.

Yes, they have a 2 HAP unit sat out there rotting away for example :angry:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I prefer Thumpers. Used to lie in bed hearing those going through late at night.

I went down in December 2004 and caught the last of them in service. I'm so glad I did!

Anyway, I grew up with '26s, '27s and '37s going onto/off the West Highland line. I'd lie in bed listening to those (and also the '303s and other units).
Everyone goes nuts for class 37s these days, but I've heard them so much that quite frankly, I don't really need too again.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
All alien to me. Where I used to live there were 33s, 47s, 56s, 73s EMUs, DMUs (Thumpers). Can you guess the region?

....... WESTERN!! :laugh:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I went down in December 2004 and caught the last of them in service. I'm so glad I did!

Anyway, I grew up with '26s, '27s and '37s going onto/off the West Highland line. I'd lie in bed listening to those (and also the '303s and other units).
Everyone goes nuts for class 37s these days, but I've heard them so much that quite frankly, I don't really need too again.

On a quiet warm night with the windows open you can hear a thumper coming and going from quite a distance.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On a quiet warm night with the windows open you can hear a thumper coming and going from quite a distance.

Yes I remember hearing of people sat waiting at quiet stations on a cool, quiet nights and being able to say *exactly* where the unit was, i.e. what station it was at, when it entered a tunnel etc etc.

The closest I got was seeing... hearing the Northern Irish Thumpers.

Top Bottom