The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
A lot of people do not like foreign things, even Northern Irish trains send them into a spin, which is so utterly pathetic to me!
I like to see how different countries have gone about solving the same problems regarding traction, and Germany was/still is one of the more interesting examples.

I also like Austrian, Swiss, Italian and Polish trains (purely because that's where I've been mainly).

Just pulling your leg! I wish we could have a TGV or Bullet network. However, I do find steam trains with red wheels rather painful to look at!

There's nothing wrong with some good German engineering - Maybach diesel engines and Voith transmissions - ooooh errrr! as in Hymeks, Warships and Westerns. I went over to Germany in 1984 to see the last of the V200 (Class 220) loco's. Our Warships were mechanically identical. Even managed to get a couple of footplate rides while there. And their Class103 electrics have to be one of the best electric locos ever built.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just pulling your leg! I wish we could have a TGV or Bullet network. However, I do find steam trains with red wheels rather painful to look at!

Red wheels are great! You can see exactly where you have to clean them!! :laugh:

P.S. Yes, that IS me in Poland:

image.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There's nothing wrong with some good German engineering - Maybach diesel engines and Voith transmissions - ooooh errrr! as in Hymeks, Warships and Westerns. I went over to Germany in 1984 to see the last of the V200 (Class 220) loco's. Our Warships were mechanically identical. Even managed to get a couple of footplate rides while there. And their Class103 electrics have to be one of the best electric locos ever built.

I always liked the Electric locos like the class 103s, but I have especially nice memories of seeing green, blue and beige and red liveried class 140s, '141s '150s and '151s hurtling through the South German countryside on freights and of course, the occasional passenger service!

Also, I have always liked the class 155s, purely because they always looked so odd to me! :blush: and I remember getting hauled by many East German liveried class '143s after the fall of the Wall.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf

Yes, and that one in particular. It's a minor abomination! Anyway, haven't they repainted the wheels black since that photo was taken?

Top Bottom