The Military Vehicle Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Behind me was is our playground. The RAF M/T storage compound (somewhere in Germany). We would climb into the cabs and explore all over the vehicles during school holidays it was across the road from our married quarters and out of sight of the Guard Room.

img049.jpeg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
MOD needs all the funds it can for Ajax.

Oh, that boils my pith!

The M.O.D. always think they know better, and we end up spending three times as much for a product barely half as capable as promised.

We could have bought the Bradley fraction of the price. Sure, there's the argumement about UK jobs, but the billions saved by buying an off-the-shelf product that's known to actually work could have been used in its own way to support employment.

It's like the original. 556. Never worked right, and by the time the money had been spent with a German company modifying and modernising them we could have brought five times as many Steyrs, Colts, whatever. No wonder the RM's went their own way.

Heaven save us from Civil servants. Oh, and there's roughly one civil servant in Whitehall for every two British soldiers! I mean , what the hell ar[MOD NOTE - DRAGO HEAVILY SEDATED AND CARTED AWAY TO A PLACE WHERE HE CAN BE PROPERLY CARED FOR.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The guy who owned it had rented it to the boots brand No7 for a publicity/advertising stunt with the intent to swim it to the Isle of Man

Having seen how little freeboard you have in one of those on a calm lake, you'd need bigger balls than me to sail it to the IoM, and even the Isle of Wight would be a little bold

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Oh, that boils my pith!

The M.O.D. always think they know better, and we end up spending three times as much for a product barely half as capable as promised.

We could have bought the Bradley fraction of the price. Sure, there's the argumement about UK jobs, but the billions saved by buying an off-the-shelf product that's known to actually work could have been used in its own way to support employment.

It's like the original. 556. Never worked right, and by the time the money had been spent with a German company modifying and modernising them we could have brought five times as many Steyrs, Colts, whatever. No wonder the RM's went their own way.

Heaven save us from Civil servants. Oh, and there's roughly one civil servant in Whitehall for every two British soldiers! I mean , what the hell ar[MOD NOTE - DRAGO HEAVILY SEDATED AND CARTED AWAY TO A PLACE WHERE HE CAN BE PROPERLY CARED FOR.)

But wasn't the Bradley itself a bit of an expensive fiasco? OK granted they'll have ironed out any problems by now but it's still an old vehicle. Surely there'd be no point in replacing the Warrior with another vehicle of the same era, maybe older if anything. Doesn't excuse any mismanagement of the Ajax itself

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Bradley has had significant updates and the fighting versions are bona fida tank killers, and the US have footed the bill for ironing out the creases.

Although the US wre looking at replacing it themselves, it's stil, arguably and extremely capable APC/fighting vehicle. Better to have someonething mature that works and is still a world class perforner, than a brand new turd.

We could have comfortably had four times as many for less than what has so far been spent on Acraps.

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Veteran
Oh, that boils my pith!

The SA80 would have been a lot better if they'd got it right first time rather than penny-pinching on parts and manufacturing methods, but the A2 and A3 have been great apart from being a bit heavier than some of their 'rivals'?

As for the Commandos - as far as I can tell they went their own way with procurement in order to appeal to those they believe have the right 'state of mind'. I mean they even have their own special combat uniform (presumably with short sleeves as standard). I'm just amazed that the MoD pandered to this and sucked up the accompanying increase in costs associated with the extra kit and training needed.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The SA80 would have been a lot better if they'd got it right first time rather than penny-pinching on parts and manufacturing methods, but the A2 and A3 have been great apart from being a bit heavier than some of their 'rivals'?

As for the Commandos - as far as I can tell they went their own way with procurement in order to appeal to those they believe have the right 'state of mind'. I mean they even have their own special combat uniform (presumably with short sleeves as standard). I'm just amazed that the MoD pandered to this and sucked up the accompanying increase in costs associated with the extra kit and training needed.

The Marine's rifle is easier to carry so they can hold hands while marching.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Para's rifle has a built in mirror so they can check their beret for ally-ness

The SAS rifle has a typewriter that fits on the picatinny rails for writing their "True Story" novels.

The Navy rifle has a pint glass holder

The RAF rifle has a Hilton Rewards swipe card in the butt.

Top Bottom