The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Über Member
Not near Jaywick I hope?!! :ohmy: 🧐 :laugh:

Now your dissing the good folk of Jaywick, it isn't that bad ,there is a strong sense of community there, true it's a ramshackle rundown pit of an area, but that's driven by people without much money needing to live some where, it has a great beach not overlooked by penny arcades and burger bars with expensive poor quality beer, if you want that head to Clacton, you won't find impeccably dressed there either,as it's a nudist beach.
I haven't as yet dissed the dark Satanic mills of Lancashire's ,as yet.
But I live in Southend,'City' ,the end of the line from that den if iniquity London.

grldtnr

Über Member
One of the places I'd love to live is over the water from you on Grain. As usual, Mrs D isn't so keen.

From Sarfend ,I overlook the Ilse of Grain, it's a bit of a swim from my side, but it's not far away.
It looks very green, but there there isn't much there.
Heavily involved in the war efforts in 1914, especially with the Flying Corp. as was, also explosives and munitions were manufactured there, as no one lived there!
Take note,there is a sunken munitions ship the 'Richard Montgomery' , there is an exclusion zone around it for fear it might fizz into life spontaneously.

So take note Beardy weirdy muso's with a predicliction for time travel in modified portaloos' ...

Keep the Thames estuary free from Chris Rea !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My mother had a similar thing when she worked in a local cotton mill picking unwanted bits off rows of cotton, in the 1970's. I say similar as I seem to remember that bit with the tiny red bit on, being on a hinge, making it movable. 🤔

No the guarded bit would go inside (say) the pocket to prevent the pointed bit from sticking into the liner and possibly damaging that. Mum would frequently alter the length of my 2 younger sisters skirts so that what the elder one grew out of could be shortened to fit the youngest then lengthened again as she grew again using the guarded end inside the fold to prevent snagging, useful for things like School uniforms which had probably have belonged to my elder cousin Linda previously. I used to get her elder brother's cast offs. mind you it is his Carlton that's in my shed. Mum also used to undo Jumpers to reuse the wool to make another. BTW My Cousins Graham and Linda and myself and my 2 sisters Amanda and Janet and then Mandys two kids Simon and Gemma were all Christened in the same Gown, not sure but it is possible that Mum and her elder sister and 2 brothers were Christened in it as well as it could well be Victorian.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No the guarded bit would go inside (say) the pocket to prevent the pointed bit from sticking into the liner and possibly damaging that. Mum would frequently alter the length of my 2 younger sisters skirts so that what the elder one grew out of could be shortened to fit the youngest then lengthened again as she grew again using the guarded end inside the fold to prevent snagging, useful for things like School uniforms which had probably have belonged to my elder cousin Linda previously. I used to get her elder brother's cast offs. mind you it is his Carlton that's in my shed. Mum also used to undo Jumpers to reuse the wool to make another. BTW My Cousins Graham and Linda and myself and my 2 sisters Amanda and Janet and then Mandys two kids Simon and Gemma were all Christened in the same Gown, not sure but it is possible that Mum and her elder sister and 2 brothers were Christened in it as well as it could well be Victorian.

On about christening gowns, here I am in mine in early 1961. 🧐

DaacQ7kNvgF4_-LK&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
From Sarfend ,I overlook the Ilse of Grain, it's a bit of a swim from my side, but it's not far away.
It looks very green, but there there isn't much there.
Heavily involved in the war efforts in 1914, especially with the Flying Corp. as was, also explosives and munitions were manufactured there, as no one lived there!
Take note,there is a sunken munitions ship the 'Richard Montgomery' , there is an exclusion zone around it for fear it might fizz into life spontaneously.

So take note Beardy weirdy muso's with a predicliction for time travel in modified portaloos' ...

Keep the Thames estuary free from Chris Rea !

Friend of mine lives on Grain and I love the place. Has a great feel to it for some reason (Grain that is, not Jason.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just got a lovely pair of Grenson shoes cheap off the 'bay. Not bad for £40 as £250 or even £350 wouldn't be out of kilter for the quality. Not seen semi-brogue Oxfords in country weight / style before so they may well have been a trade show one-off. Sensibly they have rubber soles too, which I prefer. Mrs PP does refer to me as "Imelda" on occasion -but they were a bargain !

2A73EC8F-7A00-4CB8-AE4C-D5DD8A123B0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There I was in TK Maxx this aft', looking for any decent hats and gloves when I found the below one. I couldn't find anything in the men's section, but as I was about to leave I saw the below in the women's section. Thinking it'd be far too small I thought I'd try it on just in case and was surprised to see it fit my 60cm head. The label says it a 56-58cm size, but it's bigger than that as it fits my 60/61cm bonce perfectly! It was only £19.99 and it's 100 percent wool. If it'd been say 50 percent wool, 50 percent man made fibers I wouldn't have bothered, but 100 percent wool usually means about £50 minimum.

Yes, it doesn't go with my red waistcoat, but I had that on before buying the hat. Something tells me that @stephec will associate it with.......:laugh:

KSjgQ7kNvgEoJzN6&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

JAPoQ7kNvgFTwctH&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

TbJgQ7kNvgGh3Wmd&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

vQAQQ7kNvgH2R0Fy&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

CCtcQ7kNvgFgpsDe&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Mmm, I'd say it's magenta in colour. 🤔
Banner-22.png
https://www.nixsensor.com/blog/color-column-magenta/

Last edited:
Top Bottom