The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I posted what I'd call a fair explanation yesterday, yet you haven't acknowledged it, even though you must've seen it as you've posted on CC since I posted it. I have to say that you called me rude for saying certain things about what I called non entity 'nations'. Mmm, wouldn't you say it's quite rude to not acknowledge or reply to my explanatory post. 🤔

Do you not see why people think it is a bit insulting to refer to countries other than England as "nonentity" nations or "tinpot" islands, even though possibly meant as "bantz"?

The fact that you quite like NI is not an explanation.

Alex321

Guru
I posted what I'd call a fair explanation yesterday, yet you haven't acknowledged it, even though you must've seen it as you've posted on CC since I posted it. I have to say that you called me rude for saying certain things about what I called non entity 'nations'. Mmm, wouldn't you say it's quite rude to not acknowledge or reply to my explanatory post. 🤔

If you think that was a fair explanation (or indeed any sort of explanation), then you probably need to look up the word "explanation".

Telling us you don't think NI are a tinpot nation is not an "explanation" of your views generally on this subject. And that was the only post in this thread from you yesterday.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Do you not see why people think it is a bit insulting to refer to countries other than England as "nonentity" nations or "tinpot" islands, even though possibly meant as "bantz"?

The fact that you quite like NI is not an explanation.
I referred to a few lose every match they play 'small nations' as such. I don't recall calling other nations certain things, just these 'small nations'. You are trying to imply that I seem to think that all nations, other than England fall into this category.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Besides, I'm talking about @PaulSB saying It was rude to call those 'small nations; non entity, tinpot etc. So what if I did. It's not like I'm the chief executive of EUFA or something is it! :rolleyes: I just posted my thoughts on a forum that I doubt many if anyone from say the Faroe Islands will see and read. It's called voicing an opinion, that's all.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you think that was a fair explanation (or indeed any sort of explanation), then you probably need to look up the word "explanation".

Telling us you don't think NI are a tinpot nation is not an "explanation" of your views generally on this subject. And that was the only post in this thread from you yesterday.

Oh right, so I have to be all polite to these 'small nations' and say all nice things about them, otherwise I'm the bad boy eh!!:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe FIFA could organise a 'small nations' world cup every 4 years. Seriously I'm not taking the pee, as I think it'd be a decent competition with equally able teams/countries competing against each other. We have the EFL Trophy for League one and League two clubs, giving them the chance to play at Wembley and maybe win a trophy, which is almost impossible to achieve for them in the FA Cup and The League Cup.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

A wise move I'd say. Charlton hung around like he was part of the furniture and Liverpool still have Kenny Dalglish sucking up freebies while getting very well paid, like Ferguson was for doing not much more than feck all!!

Ferguson to leave Man Utd global ambassador role​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c756g142gdxo

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Maybe FIFA could organise a 'small nations' world cup every 4 years. Seriously I'm not taking the pee, as I think it'd be a decent competition with equally able teams/countries competing against each other. We have the EFL Trophy for League one and League two clubs, giving them the chance to play at Wembley and maybe win a trophy, which is almost impossible to achieve for them in the FA Cup and The League Cup.

That'd just be an insult to the 'small nations', who as I've said have just as much right to play in and qualify for any major tournament finals.

The EFL Trophy is a bit of a joke really when you've got the colt/U21 sides involved. The FA Vase is a better example of a properly small team tournament.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That'd just be an insult to the 'small nations', who as I've said have just as much right to play in and qualify for any major tournament finals.
But they never qualify! Having their own world competition wouldn't need qualifying rounds as there aren't enough of these 'small nations' to warrant it, so they all get to take part in a tournament.
The EFL Trophy is a bit of a joke really when you've got the colt/U21 sides involved. The FA Vase is a better example of a properly small team tournament.
I agree about the under 21 teams from the 'big clubs'. I'm not too sure but I don't think any have made it to the knockout stages of the competition. The competition will probably disappear before an under 21 team gets remotely close to making the final, but if one did, I wonder if say it was Liverpool, would their fans turn up "En masse".

PaulSB

Squire

I don't have to respond to every post you make. I'm happily watching you dig the hole your in ever deeper.

You posted these remarks for which a number of people called you out. A post about "quite liking" NI is irrelevant. Here's what you originally said:

More of this International break stuff nonsense next week!! They've only been back playing Premiership and Football League games for a fortnight, then they're off again next week!! I didn't know about it till I heard that the League 2 match between Fleetwood and Colchester has been postponed due to some Fleetwood squad player being involved in the Outer Hebrides (or some similar none entity) squad as a call up, in case other players are injured. I for one am sick of these pointless internationals and the way they now affect the domestic game at all levels, not just the Premier League and the Championship!!:thumbsdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2024-10-12

Without bothering to research the players and their countries you assumed, possibly because this is Fleetwood Town, the players would be representing "the Outer Hebrides (or some similar none entity)." There's another assumption here, that a Fleetwood Town player could only represent a non-entity island nation. Have you spotted Fleetwood are currently 11th and Stanley 22nd in League Two? Would this be your view of the team you appear to support?

The players involved represent NI, Guyana and the UAE. In your shoes I would stop digging and quietly step away from the subject.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't have to respond to every post you make. I'm happily watching you dig the hole your in ever deeper.

You posted these remarks for which a number of people called you out. A post about "quite liking" NI is irrelevant. Here's what you originally said:

Without bothering to research the players and their countries you assumed, possibly because this is Fleetwood Town, the players would be representing "the Outer Hebrides (or some similar none entity)." There's another assumption here, that a Fleetwood Town player could only represent a non-entity island nation. Have you spotted Fleetwood are currently 11th and Stanley 22nd in League Two? Would this be your view of the team you appear to support?

The players involved represent NI, Guyana and the UAE. In your shoes I would stop digging and quietly step away from the subject.

:rolleyes:

AndyRM

XOXO
But they never qualify! Having their own world competition wouldn't need qualifying rounds as there aren't enough of these 'small nations' to warrant it, so they all get to take part in a tournament.

I agree about the under 21 teams from the 'big clubs'. I'm not too sure but I don't think any have made it to the knockout stages of the competition. The competition will probably disappear before an under 21 team gets remotely close to making the final, but if one did, I wonder if say it was Liverpool, would their fans turn up "En masse".

Except that they do. You brought up the World Cups of 82 and 86 earlier, where the likes of Kuwait, Iraq, New Zealand and Canada were all playing for the first time in the expanded tournament.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of football, denying teams the right to be there because they're not "big" enough is ridiculous and would mean the likes of the home nations would never have the opportunity to compete there.

Are Gibraltar, San Marino et al ever going to get there? Highly unlikely, but even in qualifying they serve a purpose when goal difference can make the difference between coming first or second in a group.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Except that they do. You brought up the World Cups of 82 and 86 earlier, where the likes of Kuwait, Iraq, New Zealand and Canada were all playing for the first time in the expanded tournament.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of football, denying teams the right to be there because they're not "big" enough is ridiculous and would mean the likes of the home nations would never have the opportunity to compete there.

Are Gibraltar, San Marino et al ever going to get there? Highly unlikely, but even in qualifying they serve a purpose when goal difference can make the difference between coming first or second in a group.

I am with you Andy. If you applied the "logic" about smaller teams then there seems little point in having the early rounds of the FA Cup. We could just start it at the quarter final stage with the usual suspects.

"Tin pot teams" like Accrington are never going to win it so what is the point of them entering 🙂

Top Bottom