The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Gascgoine had unbelievable talent, that was a cracking goal and that’s coming from Scotsman. Trying to think back , was this before his knee injury ?? Also did Burley no miss a penalty as well that game ? Can’t remember exactly.

as for this tournament, not watched any of the games thus far. A lot of optimism that we can possibly get something out of this tournament , lack of crowds I think maybe an advantage. However I’m also a realist , we did well to qualify . However we are miles away from being anything but average.

Gascgoine had unbelievable talent, that was a cracking goal and that’s coming from Scotsman. Trying to think back , was this before his knee injury ?? Also did Burley no miss a penalty as well that game ? Can’t remember exactly
Just checked - the knee injury started with his "ill-judged" tackle in the 1991 cup final game. (But I think it got worse over the years, with ops and things. Not sure.) You can google the pen miss yourself ;-)

Chislenko

Veteran
Didn't take long to spot the first union jack being flown by England fans. WHEN will they ever learn the difference between UK and England? :rolleyes:
Anyway, c'mon Croatia! :bravo:

To be honest it is one of the most noticeable elements of this tournament. Usually in th
Euro 2020: Croatia captain Luka Modric says home crowds give England unfair advantage - BBC Sport
https://www.bbc.co.uk › sport › football

:laugh:
(there are 22,500 allowed in Wembley - that's quite a lot of people! You could certainly hear actual songs during the match coverage.)

Have to say I agree with Modric here, not just in the case of England but also other "big" teams who have home advantage.

Whilst we, Wales, have to travel to Baku and Rome a few teams are blessed with not having to leave their "back yard"

Whilst I didn't harbour any thoughts that we would replicate our 2016 exploits at this tournament it would be nice if all the teams competing were starting on a level playing field.

But I guess in UEFA speak the only language they understand is which countries offer the most money, hence oil rich Azerbaijan getting so many top sporting events of late.

Whilst I didn't harbour any thoughts that we would replicate our 2016 exploits at this tournament it would be nice if all the teams competing were starting on a level playing field.
At every Euros/World Cup just one* team had home advantage. The Olympics and most every "World" cup/championship in sport works the same way. You don't ask much, do you??

*OK, there have been a couple of "joint hosts" in recent times ...

Chislenko

Veteran
At every Euros/World Cup just one* team had home advantage. The Olympics and most every "World" cup/championship in sport works the same way. You don't ask much, do you??

*OK, there have been a couple of "joint hosts" in recent times ...

Sorry, don't comprehend your point.

Brandane

Legendary Member
they had already made a significant contribution to the tournament.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnXFu744uY

At least things have improved a bit in the space of 25 years with regards the "sitting on the fence" union flag. In that clip, it's amazing how many union flags were being flown, presumably by England supporters, given that they had just scored! I would really love to ask them, at a Scotland v England match, just which team are you supporting? The flag represents both nations, as well as Northern Ireland, of course.
To me, it's akin to an Italian turning up at a football match against Spain (or any other EU member state) flying this:
So what team is someone flying this flag supporting? Same thing, (some) English people!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Come on SCOTLAND!

See what I mean; it just isnae right, folks!!!!!! It isn't the correct flag (despite the St. Andrew's cross being in there), unless you're representing Great Britain. When the team is playing under the banner of England, Scotland, Wales etc. then THAT is the country you represent, and ONLY that country.

Now that is sooooooo much better!

A variety of flags is very common at sports games with big crowds. Most folks have a variety of allegiances; to town, county, state, religion, nation, motherland, club etc etc. Throw in a bit of ironic humour, or ancient emnities.

If Union Flags are on show in the Czech game I'll be a bit surprised, but I won't yell at them for not reading the footy flag etiquette rules.
How dare they not buy the correct flag at the desk on the way in??

Chislenko

Veteran
tl/dr: home advantage is normal

Home advantage is normal for one team. The remaining teams / supporters will then base themselves in that country.

As it stands now if a Swiss fan wants to see all three group games he / she travels to Baku, from Baku to Rome and then back to Baku. This also applies to the team whilst some teams instead of having to use the time traveling can use the time training / resting etc.

Quite apart from the massive expense it puts on the fans the teams faced with all this traveling are put at a disadvantage as less recovery time.

If the finals had been held in one country this disruption to the teams and expense for the fans would have been far less.

At the last tournament in France I covered just over 5,000 miles to take in all the games Wales were involved in. By two games the Swiss fans will already have beaten that.

So yes I think it is massively unfair but I am also mindful that UEFA never want another Greece / Portugal final as it affects the global TV audience from which they will make a load of coin!

Top Bottom