The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd wanted a silver Gretsch Electromatic Sparkle Jet for about 20 years but very few seem to have made it over here. This slightly ropey G5439 had been sitting on eBay for ages because the neck had been really badly sanded with coarse grit paper, the seller said the pots were intermittent and, if you look closely, it needs a few screws replacing.

Anyway, I made a cheeky offer and it was accepted, so I collected it from west London yesterday. It was filthy and bizarrely set up - really low action but pickups right down on the floor, and GBE strings wound the wrong way around the tuners, but it was cheap.

I restored the neck with 1200 wet and dry paper and ScratchX - that lacquer is so thick that it can just be buffed up again. A good clean, lemon oil on the fretboard, new strings, quick setup and it's peachy. No buzz or dead notes. The pots are actually fine but the selector switch needs a cleanout as it crackles briefly when changing pickups. The jack also needs a tighten. All easy stuff. The truss rod nut moves nice and freely but it was actually fine where it was.

As it's a Gretsch with Filtertrons (no point buying a Gretsch with anything else) it sounds fabulous. The only problem with Jets is that they're a bit hard to play above the 17th or 18th fret, as the neck heel gets in the way.

20240913_181132.jpg

20240913_181123.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks like I'm in another band. A new local blues rock covers band, pro drummer and guitarist, and semi pro me and another semi pro axeman.

The project is provisionally called Brave Ulysses as thats the first song were doing, but we're on the hunt for another name. I've depped a few times for a local outfit called The Queen of Spain's Beard and i doubt we'll think of a name that cool.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My son, aged 12, has just lately got into heavy metal. So I've just re-strung my guitar and started to play after a 10 year hiatus! I gave him his first lesson today and he's picked it up really well. We're going to try the James Bond theme next lesson. I have been using the Ibanez (is it Dio or Gio) range for the past 20 years. Really nice guitars for the price and lovely to play. I had a BC Rich Warlock in the past, not great to play but looked cool. Also had a Squire Strat as my first, which did a good job at introducing me to the instrument.

Top Bottom