The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Basically it twangs in the neck position, quacks in the bridge position, and I think that quality wise it’s up there with any MIM Fender, more than adequate in my amateurish hands, it seems pretty well set up, (it’s new to me) and is a pretty good nod to an early 50’s Telecaster, what it isn’t is a direct replica, but I seem to have stumbled across a gem of an instrument. I saw a YouTube video of one compared to a Fender American Original, I couldn’t tell the difference in sound, neither could others in the comments, it does seem that it punches way above its price point

I was watching a YT video yesterday titled something like "which telecasters you should not buy" ...one was a classic reissue fender tele retailing at around £1300. The reason for not buying it was, get the Squier classic vibe instead, it's equally as good for less than half the price. :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Squier Affinity Tele is also really good.

Chris S

Legendary Member
lem.jpg

pm.jpg

a.jpg

DRM

Guru
What I meant was some Telecasters have a very country sound whilst others are more bluesy

I see, apologies misread it, I think this is more in the bluesy side of things, I think the pickups are Alnico V so I think they have a bit more oomph than 3’s was having a play around with the pedal board, the fuzz pedal set up nicely and cleaned up with a drop of the volume control, it sounded excellent, especially as Mrs DRM was out, I could play nicely with the mains amp :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I see, apologies misread it, I think this is more in the bluesy side of things, I think the pickups are Alnico V so I think they have a bit more oomph than 3’s was having a play around with the pedal board, the fuzz pedal set up nicely and cleaned up with a drop of the volume control, it sounded excellent, especially as Mrs DRM was out, I could play nicely with the mains amp :okay:

Not got many pedals in fact I've only got one..................A 70's Electro Harmonix 'Big Muff' but I do have a nice Amp, a Fender 'Champion 30' with clean and overdrive channels and a proper 'spring reverb tank' and it's not the later one with 'amp modelling' and built in effects that are pretty unreliable but rather just a basic Fender. OK it was pretty expensive at the time being £260* with the footswitch to change channels being another £40 but it is capable of small gig work and bigger gigs if you 'miked' it up to a PA

* Bought in the late 90's and a big Thank you Mr Taxman for the rebate, as you can see I didn't waste it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I keep my pedal board simple. Tuner, overdrive, Drop Box (I'm not buying a 5 for the one song that needed it), and a Geddy Lee Sansamp.

When I was with the band our lead guitarist had some enormous computerised multi function pedal thing and he was forever dropping a bollock with it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I do a good Phil Lynott - bass up on my chest, feet apart, sneering top lip. Man he was cool.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't have any pedals but did purchase two off of ebay yesterday; a looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay looper and a delay ...ay ...ay ...ay

winjim

Smash the cistern
If we're talking pedals, check out this bad boy.

1725987071665.png

Actually I bought it mainly for my synths as it's got CV control and I haven't had a chance to properly try it out yet, but it's very brown and has lots of lovely fiddly switches on it which is nice.

Other than that, all I've got is a Boss Dimension DC2 which is The Best (not quite a) Chorus and a Marshall Drivemaster which emulates the overdrive on a Marshall amp. Both classics. Used to have a nice Yamaha amp with a proper spring reverb but that got lost somewhere along the way in life.

DRM

Guru
So a bit of interweb digging says that the Chinese built Classic Vibe 50’s Telecaster pickups have Alnico 3 magnets that were made in the Tonerider factory to a similar specification to Tonerider Hot Classic TRT2 set, which I believe get very favourable reviews as upgrades on a Tele style guitar, so it sounds like these were really well specified, it also has brass saddles as standard too :okay:

Top Bottom