The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
It was a huge privilege for me to join @Cathryn , her husband and their son today on Day 2 of their cycling expedition from St Malo to Bilbao.

We met up on the tree-lined Voie Verte in Mauron, followed that for 10km or so before branching off at Trégadoret and then up into Loyat. A brief stop to see the Chateau de Loyat (which I think is also called the ‘Chateau of 100 Windows’) then down over the river Léverin and up again after la Ville Juhel. We crossed the Ninian river in Helléan where we stopped for a breather by the river. I left the intrepid trio a few kms after Helléan and looped north to join my usual road back from Josselin to SMTF, flew down the hill by Le Val then south again back to Helléan. Passed the holiday camp (visited in previous years by @lane) then up to Bodiel, across the D8 and onto the Taupont/Loyat road. Back to Loyat then up the Voie Verte and back to Mauron.

It was warm – around 28C – but nowhere near as hot as Wednesday (it had been 36C in Mauron yesterday at 2pm).

A couple of photos below of three of the nicest people you could wish to ride with.

Cathryn +Rich near Chateau de Loyat pic 2.JPG

Group photo in Helléan pic 2.JPG

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
After two 100 milers in May and doing my Qualifying June rides in the first week, I've sort of lost my Mojo!

Limped home rigth at the end of July (updated other thread) but I'm enjoying too many other things, more than I enjoy cycling, at present.

Taking a bike to Dorset will hopefully spice things up.....tbc

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
After two 100 milers in May and doing my Qualifying June rides in the first week, I've sort of lost my Mojo!

Limped home rigth at the end of July (updated other thread) but I'm enjoying too many other things, more than I enjoy cycling, at present.

Taking a bike to Dorset will hopefully spice things up.....tbc
Mojo a funny old thing some times it just goes here's hoping you can rediscover it soon at least the challenge gave you an incentive to do some miles which is what the challenge is all about . Enjoy Dorset

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i am finding it difficult to gain fitness and push beyond 65k /600m. Is it age or the heat? On both metrics I have high scores
The heat definitely doesn't help, except for genetic freak sun-worshipping cyclists!

I love blue skies and warm conditions but am not keen on hot. 15-20 degrees is ideal. 20-23 is okay. 24-26 is getting uncomfortable and 27+ is too hot for my liking.

As for age... It doesn't help to get old either, but there are plenty of cyclists in their 70s and 80s doing way more than me (aged 68). I can still do 100 km rides with 2,000-2,500 m of ascent but I have to take my time - probably 8 hours for something like that. I don't do many 100 milers these days and it is a long while since I did 200 km. I don't think I will do many long rides in future unless I can get my average speed up to 20+ km/hr for them. 8 hours for a flattish imperial century or 10 for a 200 km ride would be about as long as I would want to take. If I could manage 25 km/hr again then I would start doing them regularly.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Wonderful ride today, 39 miles from Josselin to Redon via the incredible little town of Malestroit! We actually changed route as we went (which we never do) to stay on the canalside bike path because it was just so so glorious! One of my fave days on a bike this year, despite two visits from the puncture fairy.

The second puncture was nearly a disaster…the husband broke the Presta valve as he reinflated and we realised we didn’t have a spare tube! 🙄 An elderly French couple cycled up a few minutes later and I asked if they had one we could buy. The chap produced just what we needed so I gave him all my change, we fixed the puncture and went on our way rejoicing! Half a mile later, we found THEM fixing a puncture! Guiltily, we waved and cycled past before they asked for their tube back! (They seemed to have all they needed!)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lovely ride today from Redon to Nantes. 15 miles on a lovely towpath and then into a little town where we stopped for coffee and ended up chatting to a man for ages! Then some lovely quiet roads and then back onto bike paths to get into Nantes! The cycling infrastructure in Nantes is superb! Really impressed! City looks amazing so far…heading out to explore soon!

Domus

Guru
Another 2 pointer today, first time up Sharneyford from the Bacup side, a bit breezy on Deerplay. I thought I had a rear puncture on the descent into Bacup but no, it was a badly seated tyre, sorted back at home with a bit of soapy water and high pressure.
81 Kms and 1,000 metres of upness. No rides this coming week, taking the grandchildren up to Sunny Grange.

ColinJ

No rides this coming week, taking the grandchildren up to Sunny Grange.
Have fun!

I hope it IS sunny for you, and remains sunny the week after - I will be spending 5 days up there... I probably won't get the chance to do a '50' on the holiday because my pal has a very limited cycling range and I promised to go walking on some of the days.

I suppose if we got back early from a walk though I might be able to squeeze a 2.5 - 3 hour evening ride in...? :whistle:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Had a fantastic day today! Raced against the clock because we had to cycle 44 miles by 11h15to be at the Passage du Gois, a road which is only passable at low tide! Cruised through Nantes in the dark, felt a little sketchy in places and then glorious sunrise. Puncture in the Vendee marshes but we made it over the causeway, which was just an incredible experience. Safely on Noirmoutier island for our rest day tomorrow! Loving it here already!

a32c58f0-120a-4a4e-a6e5-456aae5f045c.jpeg

ColinJ

Raced against the clock because we had to cycle 44 miles by 11h15to be at the Passage du Gois, a road which is only passable at low tide!
A Tour de France stage went across there in 1999. There was a huge crash on the slippery road surface!

I am sure that there will be a video of it on YouTube. Here you go... (crash at 2:00)

I didn't like the idea of crossing there - what happens if something went wrong halfway across as the tide was coming in?!! :eek:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
August 6th
61 unremarkable miles from Noirmoutier to La Roche sur Yon. Drizzly skies, uninspiring countryside for most of it but 20 miles of astonishing bike paths into LRSY! Didn’t have it in me to do one extra mile to make it 100km! + 2 points
Points so far: 30 points
I almost feel bad for this with all the miles your clocking up ,but 61 miles arrrrgh I can't believe (in victor meldrews voice )

Top Bottom