The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Apologies for a very early monthly update so more victims for the nudge list , I'm away Tomorrow for a week so won't return until the Friday before the last weekend and I would probably forget so I've gone early .
We went up to 28 riders fully posted for Sept when a rider finally got round to updating his rides .
We have 20 riders fully posted up for Oct leaving 8 on the nudge list so a very gentle nudge to @Bazzer ,@Noodle Legs ,@slow scot ,@Chap sur le velo ,@Gibbo9 ,@Donger ,@Spartak and @UphillSlowly .
Hopefully I will get another 50Km ride in as I have only completed 2 this monthly as Ive been busy preparing for a house move the weekend I come back .
I'm off the the Yorkshire coast and have an idea of riding to Saltburn and doing the hill that the British road champs finished up but this will be weather dependent

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Apologies for a very early monthly update so more victims for the nudge list , I'm away Tomorrow for a week so won't return until the Friday before the last weekend and I would probably forget so I've gone early .
We went up to 28 riders fully posted for Sept when a rider finally got round to updating his rides .
We have 20 riders fully posted up for Oct leaving 8 on the nudge list so a very gentle nudge to @Bazzer ,@Noodle Legs ,@slow scot ,@Chap sur le velo ,@Gibbo9 ,@Donger ,@Spartak and @UphillSlowly .
Hopefully I will get another 50Km ride in as I have only completed 2 this monthly as Ive been busy preparing for a house move the weekend I come back .
I'm off the the Yorkshire coast and have an idea of riding to Saltburn and doing the hill that the British road champs finished up but this will be weather dependent
Thanks for the nudge, but according to my screen, I was the last rider to post.
Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Another 50km ride on different roads ,did a route from my holiday accommodation up to Saltburn and Redcar 36 miles with 3000ft of upness a few 20% ramps . Did the climb out of Saltburn which the British road race finished up this year . I didn't exactly race up it .
20231022_083124_051053.jpg

Viewfrom the bottom of Saltburn climb the top is in line with the left turn road on the right Handbend sign
20231022_083614_051007.jpg

Looking back down

Domus

Guru
Had my Covid and Flu jabs on Thursday, felt a bit off yesterday so put off the planned ride 'till today. Cold and damp and the energy levels were way off, to top it off caught a shower 6 Kms from home. A wee bit breezy over the top from Belmont to Rivington, lots of bikes out. For any locals, the road over the dam in Belmont is closed 'till March.

bruce1530

Guru
Last month, I wrote:

I've been doing this challenge since Jan 2017 - that's 81 months where I've done at least 1 50k ride. But I'm pretty sure this is where the challenge ends - I'm having an operation later this month, and I doubt I'll be ready for a 50k before the end of Oct 😭

I've proven myself wrong. I had an operation just over 6 weeks ago (prostate cancer). Didn't think I'd get a 50k in this month, but managed it today. Did it in 4 stages - a 12k "see how I feel" starter, then a "25k with a cafe stop", rested for a bit, did another 6k on my wife's e-bike, then an 8k trip along the cycle path to take it over 50.

More details in the "your ride today"

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @bruce1530 .I don't see anything that resembling cheating as mentioned in the challenge . Under the circumstances were just happy you got over the line

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Well done @Osprey first to post for November , honourable mention for @Jenkins 2nd again ( perhaps you should get up earlier 👍)
Slow start might have something to do with the weather 💦 ,Hopefully a break in the rain will allow some of us to get an early banker in this weekend

Oi - Give me a break, I'm on a fortnight's leave from work and I'd already done an 11 mile shopping trip before I did today's 50k qualifier :laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off the mark for November , 1st ride from my new house didn't really plan the route thought it would be around 31 miles turned out to be 32.7 miles ,quite a nice route out to Market Bosworth . Had some nice tail winds on the run home

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update for October ,We have 26 riders fully posted up , Unfortunately @Noodle Legs has missed an October ride ,he's had a lot of life stuff to deal with , @UphillSlowly also hasn't posted yet and hasn't visited the forum since early Oct ,hoping everything's ok and he still might be in
Well done everyone else ,steady start for November with 12 of us already with a November ride posted

Last edited:
Top Bottom