The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Well done @Eribiste ,first poster for October he was out ,done and posted before I'd finished my breakfast , they must be early risers in Worcestershire as the 2nd poster @C R also hails from those parts
I've also got my banker ride in today my standard Wymeswold loop which will be the last time I complete my this exact route as my house moves near

I usually start around 6:00, that way there's less traffic and I'm back on time for family Sunday activities.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I usually start around 6:00, that way there's less traffic and I'm back on time for family Sunday activities.

That's commitment!

C R

Guru
That's commitment!

Getting up that early has some bonuses, like this view of the trees above Great Wittley lit up by the rising sun
20231001_071303.jpg

bluenotebob

Veteran
I reckon we neatly bookended the day @C R – you were out at 6am with your lights on, I’m sure – and I finished my ride just before 8pm (French time) with my front light on (to be seen, rather than to see).

Bonkers temperature here – 28C this afternoon when I started my ride. Crazy. But I was sheltered from the worst of the heat as the Voie Verte is mostly tree-lined.

Pleased I got the ride done today as the V3 Voie Verte will be closed at le Pont-des-Deux Rivières from tomorrow until 13 October. It’s an old railway bridge over the canalised river Oust and I guess they must be doing some emergency work on it.

Also pleased because I got La Rossa (my road bike) over 20,000km during the ride. Just a shade over 3 years since I bought her (new) – and worth every euro. That’s my second bike over 20,000km … the Urban Shaper got there a couple of months ago – but it took her 7 years to reach that total.

I still haven’t missed a day on the bike this year – that’s 274 days of consecutive riding … and I will definitely not try and do this again next year.

C R

Guru
I reckon we neatly bookended the day @C R – you were out at 6am with your lights on, I’m sure – and I finished my ride just before 8pm (French time) with my front light on (to be seen, rather than to see).

Bonkers temperature here – 28C this afternoon when I started my ride. Crazy. But I was sheltered from the worst of the heat as the Voie Verte is mostly tree-lined.

Pleased I got the ride done today as the V3 Voie Verte will be closed at le Pont-des-Deux Rivières from tomorrow until 13 October. It’s an old railway bridge over the canalised river Oust and I guess they must be doing some emergency work on it.

Also pleased because I got La Rossa (my road bike) over 20,000km during the ride. Just a shade over 3 years since I bought her (new) – and worth every euro. That’s my second bike over 20,000km … the Urban Shaper got there a couple of months ago – but it took her 7 years to reach that total.

I still haven’t missed a day on the bike this year – that’s 274 days of consecutive riding … and I will definitely not try and do this again next year.

Yep, needed lights on to see for the first 45 minutes or so of the ride. Not as warm in here, but much warmer than expected, 18C when I set off, and really muggy.

That's some impressive mileage and riding statistics.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Just enjoyed 8 days of cycling with friends in France, my second trip this year ( one of the perks of retirement!). The main venue was to be Provence, with the bonus of another ascent of Mont Ventoux plus if weather/time allowed , it's nearby cousin Mont Lure. As it was the weather was perfect - high 20s to low 30s C and virtually no wind. A great end of season destination.
We stayed in a gite surrounded by vineyards in the delightful hilltop village of Methamis. This was chosen as it gave great access to the wonderful Gorges de la Nesque plus easy access to Ventoux. And although we didn't realise it when booking, an option for an end of ride 15km descent back to the village!
The gorges de la Nesque road - tunnels cut through the rock and fantastic scenery ( and some big drops!) Very quiet during the week, much busier with lots of motorcycles at weekends
P1010293.JPG

The summit of Mont Ventoux. I last ascended in 2019, it seemed harder this time, even after lowering the gearing on my trusty SPA Audax to 26/34T I think the years are starting to tell! At least in late September the climb is very quiet, certainly in the afternoon. We summited around 4pm and were nearly the only cyclists there.
P1010314.JPG

Approaching the summit of Mont Lure. At 1700m plus elevation it's not far off Mont Ventoux but it's not used in the TdF, so much quieter. The climb goes through a series of hairpins , rarely exceeding 8% before a final 2kms of false flat. The weather station at the summit.
P1010322.JPG

The views from Mont Lure are perhaps even better than from Ventoux.
P1010320.JPG

We found time to fit in a nice flat ride in the Loire Valley on the way home. Again the weather was glorious and the cycling on marked way routes and cycle paths was very relaxing after a week of hard cycling in Provence.
The chateau at Chenonceaux viewed from the riverside path.
P1010332.JPG

Domus

Guru
Took advantage of the good forecast of no rain and light winds and added a loop onto one of my rides from Sunny Grange. However my favourite café in Arnside is now a barbers. 😞😱 The added loop around the beautiful Lyth Valley took my ride to 92 Kms but the climbing was over 1,100 metres.😱 From Levens to Gilpin Bridge via Crosthwaite is a bit of a rollercoaster.
Don’t think I’ll get too many good days like this ‘till next spring.

Domus

Guru
Mrs Domus had an appointment this afternoon so to take advantage of the decent weather it meant a swift morning ride to Fredericks and back. Blooming chilly setting off at a mere 2º C however on arriving home it was a very mild 7ºC. :cold:. It was quite nice sat outside Fredericks, sheltered from the wind and in direct sunlight, just time for coffee and a toasted tea cake. :okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I hate to say this but not loving riding at the moment. Bloke is away until mid-late November and my hip hurts. I broke my pelvis 40 years ago and now it’s letting me know that it’s having its time to shine! Yes I have my Moustache E-bike and it’s great. Once up the hills I don’t bother with the E and just ride it. It’s fabulous to ride actually. It doesn‘t feel as heavy when riding. It fits really nicely too. I think that I have changed proportions somehow. I feel smaller/shorter.
I have decided that Beeston living is not for me. I came as I thought that it would be fabulous and that I loved my job, but it isn’t and I don’t. Not much work here as it is a holiday destination and lots of retirees. I have been offered a move back to West Norfolk so taking the opportunity. Closer to proper work centres like King’s Lynn and Wisbech. I might go back to construction if I can find something sensible. Who knows. At the moment, in the colder weather, my hip hurts and riding hurts, even on the e-bike. I might have to investigate sport or - heaven forbid - turbo mode. I still like to get a workout, even with some e-assist.
I rarely do the coffee and cake thing alone, it’s not as much fun.
I have been reported to the landlord here, for ‘riding up and down the cul-de-sac’. Also for driving on it and walking. I have pointed out that unless the landlord gets me a teleporter that that I will continue to walk, ride and drive up and down as I cannot work out another way of leaving the road. I am not ready for ‘old biddy-ville’.

My ride was actually great. Coming into Norwich I scalped some 20 something lad on a ’tour de France’ halfords Carrera. Not seen one for a while. It was well looked after too. He had clearly kicked on and caught me while I was stopped at some lights. He asked me to slow down as, in his culture, it was ’shaming to be overtaken by a woman as old as his grandmother’. Cheeky pup. Naturally, I turned the E on just for the pull away from the lights and left him way behind. I may have been giggling as I went.
I saw loads of cyclists out yesterday, none going in the same direction as me but no matter. It was a beautiful day.

Attachments

• CA8102C1-A2F3-4813-8BC3-A684BE8CC51B.jpeg
    CA8102C1-A2F3-4813-8BC3-A684BE8CC51B.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I hate to say this but not loving riding at the moment. Bloke is away until mid-late November and my hip hurts. I broke my pelvis 40 years ago and now it’s letting me know that it’s having its time to shine! Yes I have my Moustache E-bike and it’s great. Once up the hills I don’t bother with the E and just ride it. It’s fabulous to ride actually. It doesn‘t feel as heavy when riding. It fits really nicely too. I think that I have changed proportions somehow. I feel smaller/shorter.
I have decided that Beeston living is not for me. I came as I thought that it would be fabulous and that I loved my job, but it isn’t and I don’t. Not much work here as it is a holiday destination and lots of retirees. I have been offered a move back to West Norfolk so taking the opportunity. Closer to proper work centres like King’s Lynn and Wisbech. I might go back to construction if I can find something sensible. Who knows. At the moment, in the colder weather, my hip hurts and riding hurts, even on the e-bike. I might have to investigate sport or - heaven forbid - turbo mode. I still like to get a workout, even with some e-assist.
I have been reported to the landlord here, for ‘riding up and down the cul-de-sac’. Also for driving on it and walking. I have pointed out that unless the landlord gets me a teleporter that that I will continue to walk, ride and drive up and down as I cannot work out another way of leaving the road. I am not ready for ‘old biddy-ville’.

My ride was actually great. Coming into Norwich I scalped some 20 something lad on a ’tour de France’ halfords Carrera. Not seen one for a while. It was well looked after too. He had clearly kicked on and caught me while I was stopped at some lights. He asked me to slow down as, in his culture, it was ’shaming to be overtaken by a woman as old as his grandmother’. Cheeky pup. Naturally, I turned the E on just for the pull away from the lights and left him way behind. I may have been giggling as I went.
I saw loads of cyclists out yesterday, none going in the same direction as me but no matter. It was a beautiful day.
Well done on dropping the Carrera knob 😂 would like to have seen his face .
Hopefully your mojo will come back ,

C R

Guru

Reported to the landlord? Good grief, how do the reporters enter and exit the cul de sac, levitating?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Reported to the landlord? Good grief, how do the reporters enter and exit the cul de sac, levitating?

Broomstick I reckon.
I was reported for lying about being over 55 and they produced video evidence. That was me going out running, well coming back running actually as I warm up with a brisk walk before actually breaking into a jog. There are a couple of the retirees who whinge about everything but the landlord is very aware and mostly ignore them. They know who the main complaints are.

Top Bottom