The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A day off from decorating today , legs felt awful 4 days on a step ladder painting ceilings isn't good for the legs . Once out riding they didn't feel that bad did my Standard 50km Wymeswold loop and was surprised to only just be over the 2 hour mark by 2 mins considering how the legs felt . This may be the last time I complete this exact loop as my new house is 4 miles off the route .

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Good luck with the house move. Was the motivatin more bike room?

Holidays means once again little riding. The two I did manage are preparation for my first triathlon this coming Sunday. So prioritised where I could ride long distances without stopping. Richamond Park and the outdoor track at the Olympic Centre.

First my 50kms was recorded in 3 sections as I wanted to ride the track against the Clock keeping an average speed of more than 30kms for a Triathlon distance ride.

40km around the Velo track at Olympic Park av 30.1kms

https://www.strava.com/activities/9705707400

There 4.6km

https://www.strava.com/activities/9705705418

Back 5.8k

https://www.strava.com/activities/9705706303m

50 mile ride passing familiar ground where I grew up and then Richmond Park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9686257996

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Left it late this month...!!!

Nice traffic free 50K from home into Bristol on the Bristol to Bath track, for a coffee & cake stop at the excellent @bakehousebs2 at the end of the track then riding all the way to Bath on the track before turning round and heading back home, my ride companion was my 14 year old daughter who did really well on her longest ride to date... 👍

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/bpFaSPGRECb

Screenshot_20230829-130602~2.png

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Left it late this month...!!!

Nice traffic free 50K from home into Bristol on the Bristol to Bath track, for a coffee & cake stop at the excellent @bakehousebs2 at the end of the track then riding all the way to Bath on the track before turning round and heading back home, my ride companion was my 14 year old daughter who did really well on her longest ride to date... 👍

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/bpFaSPGRECb

View attachment 704391
Better late than never , Well done Miss Spartak

bluenotebob

Veteran
August summary

Only three 50+km rides completed in August – and only 3 points added to the annual total.

Total points: 51

1089km cycled in August (so I should have got lots more points)… and 8501km for the year to date.

Sundry personal challenges:

All five bikes to do a minimum of 100km each month – achieved Jan/August.

All five bikes to do a minimum of 1000km per year – this year’s challenge completed 17 August.

I’ve also managed to keep up my record of cycling every day this year (243 days cycled/243 days). I’m going to try and keep this up until 31st December but I don’t think I’ll ever try and do it again. There have been days when I’ve been extremely tired but I’ve still gone out in the wind and rain – when I’d have been better off staying at home, resting then going out the next day and done a much longer ride.

Any support you guys can give me with this challenge would be appreciated.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
August summary

Only three 50+km rides completed in August – and only 3 points added to the annual total.

Total points: 51

1089km cycled in August (so I should have got lots more points)… and 8501km for the year to date.

Sundry personal challenges:

All five bikes to do a minimum of 100km each month – achieved Jan/August.

All five bikes to do a minimum of 1000km per year – this year’s challenge completed 17 August.

I’ve also managed to keep up my record of cycling every day this year (243 days cycled/243 days). I’m going to try and keep this up until 31st December but I don’t think I’ll ever try and do it again. There have been days when I’ve been extremely tired but I’ve still gone out in the wind and rain – when I’d have been better off staying at home, resting then going out the next day and done a much longer ride.

Any support you guys can give me with this challenge would be appreciated.
Well done on the consecutive days , for a challenge my record is 1048 days ,but I strong recommend not trying to beat this

kapelmuur

Veteran
Time for a monthly round up and last weekend warning , We have 20 riders fully posted up for August ,leaving 7 riders with a July ride in so a gentle nudge for @Spinney ,@ColinJ ,@kapelmuur ,@slow scot ,@Chap sur le velo ,@Gibbo9 and @Spartak .
Apologies for any errors as I have taken my eye of the ball a bit this month due to me being in the middle of a house move which is proving a bit stressful

Apologies and thanks for the reminder, I’ve been busy off the bike but have managed several tides that I’ll post soon.

August is finished off in style with a last minute planned trip to ride across Normandy. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and as 2 of my interests are travel and cycling then I just thought why not combine the two?

Set sail for Cherbourg early on Sunday morning from Poole. By the time I arrived there it was mid afternoon so I stayed local that day and just mooched around Cherbourg with a view to doing the main rides the day after.
Monday was the biggie- an 85 miler from Cherbourg to Caen, the plan being to visit Sainte-Mere Eglise (one of if not the first French towns to be liberated), the very humbling American Cemetery and Omaha Beach and Bayeux. It was an eventful day aside from these sights to behold- just three miles into the ride the heavens opened (only for an hour) and then my cleat decided to detach itself from my shoe which I didn’t know how to release from the pedal at that time. It was still rideable so I cracked on to Caen regardless with a view to finding a Decathlon where I could get it fixed. Turns out the tension on the pedal itself was far too tight causing the cleat bolts to loosen rather than shear. To compound the misery I was stung multiple times by a wasp! 🤦‍♂️🐝

Tuesday saw me ride from Caen to Le Havre by way of the humbling Pegasus Bridge, the seaside towns of Houlgate and Trouville-sur-Mer climbing out of there and then down into the stunning town of Honfleur. Then I did quite possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever done on a bike- I rode over the Pont de Normandie, a 2.1km long suspension bridge with a “cycle lane” no wider than a metre and no buffer against lorries thundering past! Never again.

Wednesday was a rather unremarkable journey as I made my way from Le Havre to Rouen, the first 20 miles were pan flat with nothing to look at but trees and a motorway. It was nice however to ride right along the banks of the Seine in places which somewhat broke up the boredom. This route was obviously saving the best til last as Rouen is just stunning, with little rickety streets very reminiscent of The Shambles in York. Getting back to the digs was anything but flat however, a 3 mile trip and “just” 525 feet of climbing!!

Thursday was travel home day and so I set off early from Rouen heading due north for 30 odd miles to the port of Dieppe. Again nothing remarkable about this journey, a couple of good climbs maybe? 🤷‍♂️

In an ideal world I’d have probably got a train from Dieppe back to Cherbourg where I could sail back to Poole where I was parked, but time constraints and crossings didn’t really allow for this. So I sailed to Newhaven with a view to getting a train back to Poole instead. As is typical of our trains here in the UK, that wasn’t easy to plan (thanks Brighton!) and so I had to ride 21 miles over to Worthing (in a torrent of rainfall no less) in order to achieve this.

A superb trip, around 237 miles in 4 days including the washout along the south coast of England, beautiful scenery, very humbling to see, definitely a bucket list item ticked off for sure.

View: https://youtu.be/RLAk1_RHfgI?feature=shared

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off the Mark for Sept . Been busy decorating new flat for the last 2 weeks decided on a day off and as it's the first of the month a banker 50km was called for ,Did my standard Ragdale loop in damp but quite nice conditions . Nice to have a banker in early as I currently decorating new flat while selling my old house so lots going on

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Does the distance have to be done in one go or can you spread a hundred miles over one month. I do 25 miles at least twice a week?
Hi @dimples ,there are 3 distance challenges running in cycle chat and they are designed to get you riding a certain distance in 1 ride at least once a month for a calender year . This challenge is the shortest being either a half century metric 50 km (31.07 miles) or a half century imperial 50 miles , the other 2 challenges are centuries challenges 100km per month or 100 miles ! per month. Each challenge has slightly different rules this being the shortest is the most relaxed and the distance can be does not have to be done in one hit cafes stops and breaks are encouraged but the ride has to feel like 1 ride .
If your already riding up to 25 miles it's not too much of a push to add another 7 , While the challenge runs Jan to Dec to gain a bronze star as seen in people's signatures if you want to motivate yourself to get some half centuries in before the end of the year feel free to post in the challenge thread and you will get plenty of encouragement from everyone , this thread half century chat zone is where we discuss our progress
Hope that helps

Hi @dimples ,there are 3 distance challenges running in cycle chat and they are designed to get you riding a certain distance in 1 ride at least once a month for a calender year . This challenge is the shortest being either a half century metric 50 km (31.07 miles) or a half century imperial 50 miles , the other 2 challenges are centuries challenges 100km per month or 100 miles ! per month. Each challenge has slightly different rules this being the shortest is the most relaxed and the distance can be does not have to be done in one hit cafes stops and breaks are encouraged but the ride has to feel like 1 ride .
If your already riding up to 25 miles it's not too much of a push to add another 7 , While the challenge runs Jan to Dec to gain a bronze star as seen in people's signatures if you want to motivate yourself to get some half centuries in before the end of the year feel free to post in the challenge thread and you will get plenty of encouragement from everyone , this thread half century chat zone is where we discuss our progress
Hope that helps

Thanks

Top Bottom