The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Off the mark for August with a last minute call to head out for a spin over t’border into Derbyshire and through the lumpy lanes around Longford, just south of Ashbourne.

I have done them a few times before so no new roads as such but it has been quite a while since I’ve done them and being on a heavier bike, older, fatter and more unfit these days it felt like a brand new challenge! The nice weather and stunning scenery took away from the five mile long drag out of Longford, crossing the manic A515 at Cubley and continuing largely up until turning back south, finally descending into Doveridge, near Uttoxeter.

From here it is pan flat for a good few miles back to Hatton and having got into as aero a position as I could get, those few miles literally flew by (a lil tailwind may have helped 😜)
Crossing over the River Dove from Hatton into Tutbury (and back into Staffordshire) there was a good slog out of there- probably the steepest of the lot today- before dropping into Rolleston on Dove. Turning off the main drag there was one more bit of a slog back up towards Stretton, where it levelled back off all the way home.

Glad I went out- I’m feeling much better having eaten and slept well for the first time in goodness knows how long and it showed in my efforts.

33.07 in 2:01.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm really pleased about today's qualifying ride. Apart from stops for photos and at junctions, this was my first non-stop 50k on my LIOS Fixed gear. A few months ago I would not have dreamed about attempting it, let alone actually completing it, but this bike has become my go-to ride and it's immense fun. That always helps. ^_^

Today was the day for my annual “Seaside Ride” and for the last few years I have consistently ridden to Skegness and if things had gone to plan it would have happened again. However I could not guarantee a train back so I had to think out of the box a little bit and came up with a route over to Cleethorpes by way of Nottingham and Lincoln. Turns out it was about 5 miles more than skeggy and trains weren’t an issue so this morning, fresh after a good nights kip, I booked the tickets.

Set off at 7am and the route up to Lincoln was largely along roads I’d done before. Getting out of Lincoln on the north side was a nice climb and I passed the picturesque cathedral before it levelled out for pretty much the remainder of the ride, til I got to the Lincolnshire Wolds that is…..

I say it every year, but whoever said Lincolnshire was flat is telling porkie pies as I crossed the wolds just north of Market Rasen and specifically through a village called Walesby it most definitely was not flat! But once I’d slogged my way up the climb it largely descended towards sea level and flattened off as I reached Cleethorpes.

105 miles today- 104 of which was gorgeous weather wise and the last mile was bloody biblical with the rainfall! I was not expecting that!! As luck had it, there happened to be a pub right next to the train station and so to kill time I had a pint or two in there. Great ride out.

105 in 6:22.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterday’s ride was an adventure in Warwickshire with a friend. Despite him living there he had never cycled on the roads there, so first time using Komoot to plan a route. It worked quite well and took us through some pretty villages, the long straight road into the wind on the way back wasn’t so much fun!!
The roads in Warwickshire are much better than the ones in Shropshire, hardly any potholes but the drivers were awful, I will never complain about Shropshire drivers again 😂

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Didn't write about my ride yesterday. We were visiting in-laws in Lincolnshire. The plan originally was for me to cycle back, 100 mile, to Birmingham. But prevailing winds were from the South-west and I didn't fancy a 7 hour solo effort into the wind and rain.

So instead I used Strava to plan me a 50km route from Folkingham (with a bit of tweaking). Seems that I found the elusive flat roads in Lincolnshire that escaped @Noodle Legs ! Did managed to route myself through a ford (though there was a footpath). First hour of the ride was done at 30 km/h - not a speed I have ever sustained over the period of an hour. Had a tailwind.

Was a bit rainy and windy, and slightly more hilly on the way back but did the 51.21 km route in 1hr 47min. Had my HR monitor on and was trying to keep my rate at the top end of zone 2. Didn't look at power data until afterwards (though I also think that my power meter went a bit wonky and over estimated - either that or I was having an exceptional day). Don't think I will ever average that speed again, as most of the places I cycle are lumpy.

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

Yesterday’s ride was an adventure in Warwickshire with a friend. Despite him living there he had never cycled on the roads there, so first time using Komoot to plan a route. It worked quite well and took us through some pretty villages, the long straight road into the wind on the way back wasn’t so much fun!!
The roads in Warwickshire are much better than the ones in Shropshire, hardly any potholes but the drivers were awful, I will never complain about Shropshire drivers again 😂

Shropshire roads can be shocking. Have found similar with Herefordshire. Warwickshire and Worcestershire are definitely better. Scenery is stunning in Shropshire though!

C R

Guru
Shropshire roads can be shocking. Have found similar with Herefordshire. Warwickshire and Worcestershire are definitely better. Scenery is stunning in Shropshire though!

Yeah, Herefordshire has some horrendous sections. The descent from Hollybush towards Ledbury goes from pristine tarmac to horrendous cratered mess without warning, which in a road bike can be a bit dicey.

UphillSlowly

Yeah, Herefordshire has some horrendous sections. The descent from Hollybush towards Ledbury goes from pristine tarmac to horrendous cratered mess without warning, which in a road bike can be a bit dicey.

Also noticed that one side of Malvern is significantly worse than the other. At least it was a few years ago

UphillSlowly

I wanted to event an app/device where you could press a button on your handlebars when you came across bad potholes in the road. Wanted to call it "Spothole", but the name and idea have already been trademarked when I looked it up.

C R

Guru
I wanted to event an app/device where you could press a button on your handlebars when you came across bad potholes in the road. Wanted to call it "Spothole", but the name and idea have already been trademarked when I looked it up.

And have they actually done anything or are they squatting on the name/idea waiting for someone to do the hard work and then leech on it?

FrothNinja

Veteran

I ride in Shropshire from time to time & the roads are like silk compared to those in the Lancs/Yorks marches. Plus I don't ride them as often so they have a novelty factor. The old A5 past Attingham can be a bit poop inducing at times when there is a lot of traffic, but it leads to some stunning rides - almost as good as home!

Domus

Guru
Such a nice calm day yesterday but life got in the way, out this morning into a stiff breeze which only stiffened. Seemed to be cross /head wind whichever way I turned. A bit sketchy on the fast (56KPH) descent from Deerplay to Bacup with the gusty cross winds. Seemed to catch lots of roadworks and temporary lights, I suspect the road surfaces will not improve.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Time for a monthly round up and last weekend warning , We have 20 riders fully posted up for August ,leaving 7 riders with a July ride in so a gentle nudge for @Spinney ,@ColinJ ,@kapelmuur ,@slow scot ,@Chap sur le velo ,@Gibbo9 and @Spartak .
Apologies for any errors as I have taken my eye of the ball a bit this month due to me being in the middle of a house move which is proving a bit stressful

Top Bottom