Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Where are you off to shim?

<Tommy>

Yeah the rest are about 80km 2000+m, was gonna hire a bike but now ive decided to take my own...
Feel free anyone to talk me round to hiring due to horror stories transporting bikes.

I’ve been fine taking my bike in a box in the past (bike box Alan). There’s definitely pros and cons. I’ve never been to Majorca. And maybe Gran Canaria is the same bracket. A place like Majorca I’d be tempted to hire a bike just because you could hire a really nice bike and it might be nice to try something different. Plus less faff taking the bike through the airport etc. Having said that it’s also nice having your own bike which you know inside and out. I really like my bike. I have a gear set up that’s perfect for climbing etc. The bike box Alan is really sturdy which is also a factor. I can pack lots of clothes in the box too so it kills to birds with one stone. And I’m used to doing it so it probably takes less than 30mins unpack and put the bike together.

shimceltic

Veteran
I’ve been fine taking my bike in a box in the past (bike box Alan). There’s definitely pros and cons. I’ve never been to Majorca. And maybe Gran Canaria is the same bracket. A place like Majorca I’d be tempted to hire a bike just because you could hire a really nice bike and it might be nice to try something different. Plus less faff taking the bike through the airport etc. Having said that it’s also nice having your own bike which you know inside and out. I really like my bike. I have a gear set up that’s perfect for climbing etc. The bike box Alan is really sturdy which is also a factor. I can pack lots of clothes in the box too so it kills to birds with one stone. And I’m used to doing it so it probably takes less than 30mins unpack and put the bike together.

Ita going to be £200 roughly to hite bike box and plane fees. £300 to hire a lesser spec bike. Also my garmin uses the duotrap sensors in my bile and i havent got the old garmin ones so thats another £50

I like taking my own bike. I use a B and W with the soft side top. Never had any damage in about 5 or 6 trips. What did you do when you won the Bkool trip?

<Tommy>

If you live or don’t mind traveling to London you can borrow my bike box. Although I think it’s only compatible with rim brake bikes. But if you have a rim brake bike you’re welcome to borrow it.

We did raid Pyreneese last summer. And maybe 50% of the group hired bikes from the tour operator. They were decent enough bike. Titanium with ultegra. But I think a lot of those guys were missing their own bikes. If you’ve got your bike just the way you like then I think for me personally if I were going to hire a bike I’d want to be hiring something pretty special to make it worth it. Dunno…

On a side note if you do take your own bike maybe think about taking a spare rear mech hanger. I think it’s the one thing it’s hard to source if you need one out there.

shimceltic

Veteran
If you live or don’t mind traveling to London you can borrow my bike box. Although I think it’s only compatible with rim brake bikes. But if you have a rim brake bike you’re welcome to borrow it.

We did raid Pyreneese last summer. And maybe 50% of the group hired bikes from the tour operator. They were decent enough bike. Titanium with ultegra. But I think a lot of those guys were missing their own bikes. If you’ve got your bike just the way you like then I think for me personally if I were going to hire a bike I’d want to be hiring something pretty special to make it worth it. Dunno…

On a side note if you do take your own bike maybe think about taking a spare rear mech hanger. I think it’s the one thing it’s hard to source if you need one out there.

Thanks for the offer, very generous.
Im down Oxford for work once a week but ive found somewhere local that have one tbat will work for me.

Top Bottom