Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep, Maurice was that man.....
The thing was Mallory when found had all sorts in his pockets, bills, receipts etc but NO photo of his wife to whom he had promised that he would leave at the summit, that sways it for me..Odell saw them at the top of the Second Step before the weather came in, I think they perished on the descent, Irvine was said to have a camera but he was never (or so they say) found, there is a side story to that which could be probable..
worth trying to hunt it down.....google Sandy Irvine Chinese..
Mallory was found 2,000 ft down and would have fallen and moved downwards over the preceding years..
The thing about those days, you had to be establishment to be accepted, yer man Wilson was not of that ilk and would have been dismissed because of his standing, middle class doesn't cut it..
Interesting book(audio) so far building up to the Everest attempt and another claimed by the great mountain..
worth a gander....

Not unusual for me, you should see some of my email replies, it could be days:laugh:
We Yorkshire folk get everywhere, even today.
Mallory's body could have fallen and or forced down the mountain in an avalanche as they returned from the summit. Which might also explain why his climbing partner Irvine was never found. The Chinese twist is a new one on me though.

Nowt new about not being accepted, more his novel way of getting closer to the summit before "strolling to the top". Why walk if you could fly there.
What's the title of the book?

Similar here for e-mails, but that post were a little odd.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
We Yorkshire folk get everywhere, even today.
Mallory's body could have fallen and or forced down the mountain in an avalanche as they returned from the summit. Which might also explain why his climbing partner Irvine was never found. The Chinese twist is a new one on me though.

Nowt new about not being accepted, more his novel way of getting closer to the summit before "strolling to the top". Why walk if you could fly there.
What's the title of the book?

Similar here for e-mails, but that post were a little odd.

The Moth and the Mountain..
by a bloke E Caesar..
I got a library ticket as soon as i moved through but covid put the boot in....
I recently got recommended the app Libby..
so organised access to that and have listened to a couple of audiobooks now, the one I'm listening to as name at the start and Bob Mortimers one, sort of autobiography..
I was going to just listen to some music when out earlier but the book came on and thought,
why not...
access to magazines etc etc and for reason I have to use another app for that....
I've found out that I prefer earphones but as with any book, 20 mins is the most I can listen....
think I get 21 days to return it..
lots of novels but I'm not in to that genre.
Factual stuff, spy stuff, biographies etc etc..
I see the Glasgow born 'Illya Kuryakin' passed the other day.
I remember getting a man from uncle spy set as a yunc ^_^
we 'd a spy hideout in a crane in the nearby dock...oh what fun..
nowadays it would be all played out on a games console.. not the same.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Moth and the Mountain..
by a bloke E Caesar..
I got a library ticket as soon as i moved through but covid put the boot in....
I recently got recommended the app Libby..
so organised access to that and have listened to a couple of audiobooks now, the one I'm listening to as name at the start and Bob Mortimers one, sort of autobiography..
I was going to just listen to some music when out earlier but the book came on and thought,
why not...
access to magazines etc etc and for reason I have to use another app for that....
I've found out that I prefer earphones but as with any book, 20 mins is the most I can listen....
think I get 21 days to return it..
lots of novels but I'm not in to that genre.
Factual stuff, spy stuff, biographies etc etc..
I see the Glasgow born 'Illya Kuryakin' passed the other day.
I remember getting a man from uncle spy set as a yunc ^_^
we 'd a spy hideout in a crane in the nearby dock...oh what fun..
nowadays it would be all played out on a games console.. not the same.
Thanks for that. I'll try tracking it down. Local libraries don't use Libby.
Just checked, I'm at the local library, and I now have it on order, in printed form.
That's the problem with kids these days. If it ain't on computer they don't want to play it.
Built a den years ago, next to what was a bowling green, when they were building the park. To date there's been no collapse, so I'll assume it's still there. Just need a metal detector to pinpoint it, then work out where the entrance is.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Thanks for that. I'll try tracking it down. Local libraries don't use Libby.
Just checked, I'm at the local library, and I now have it on order, in printed form.
That's the problem with kids these days. If it ain't on computer they don't want to play it.
Built a den years ago, next to what was a bowling green, when they were building the park. To date there's been no collapse, so I'll assume it's still there. Just need a metal detector to pinpoint it, then work out where the entrance is.

My crane hideout, still there in 1974.
The right hand one..
hut.jpg

They hadn't been moved or used in years, mid 60s gang hut..
they got serviced and moved slightly twice a year, boats couldn't dock there as too shallow..
Molasses tanks at the back

classic33

Leg End Member
My crane hideout, still there in 1974.
The right hand one..
View attachment 707911
They hadn't been moved or used in years, mid 60s gang hut..
they got serviced and moved slightly twice a year, boats couldn't dock there as too shallow..
Molasses tanks at the back
Decent hideout. Easy to access, good views all round.
Still there today?
If not, you must have had mixed feelings when it were removed.
Boats outgrown the dockside by then?
Did you ever try the molasses?
Your den was up in the air, mine was underground.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Still there today?

Good morning campers...

looks like you better get your tent packed away and find a bus shelter or pub, now that's a better idea until Aggie blows over us...

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Still there today?

We tried an underground one but area was infested with big cat sized rodents.....
plus we'd dug it ourselves.. not a good idea..

The boss will be home soon....
I'll be back under the yoke of tyranny....
meanwhile out with daughter and Toodles....
might even cram a brekkie in :cuppa:
an extra quay space but never really needed, the docks were my playground and I could never remember a boat being there, rocks showed at low tide so not much use.
great place to dig 'hairy worms' or ragworm as they are known....
the main dock had regular sugar boats, palm oils etc and in season banana boats..

Better go and get bin in etc..
empty cans crushed..
all in order for afternoon, inspection, ma'am (Bob salutes)..

I reckon if I've been good, I'll get my rock :laugh:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning campers...

looks like you better get your tent packed away and find a bus shelter or pub, now that's a better idea until Aggie blows over us...
Owdo

What time is she due to hit now?
She's running two days late by earlier forecasts.

classic33

Leg End Member
We tried an underground one but area was infested with big cat sized rodents.....
plus we'd dug it ourselves.. not a good idea..

The boss will be home soon....
I'll be back under the yoke of tyranny....
meanwhile out with daughter and Toodles....
might even cram a brekkie in :cuppa:
an extra quay space but never really needed, the docks were my playground and I could never remember a boat being there, rocks showed at low tide so not much use.
great place to dig 'hairy worms' or ragworm as they are known....
the main dock had regular sugar boats, palm oils etc and in season banana boats..

Better go and get bin in etc..
empty cans crushed..
all in order for afternoon, inspection, ma'am (Bob salutes)..

I reckon if I've been good, I'll get my rock :laugh:
The rats kicked you out then, after you'd finished building their den. Can't understand why you didn't trust your own work.
No rat issues round here back then. Yours came with excellent all round views though.
Enjoy the few hours of freedom left and your last breakfast.
Seems an odd place to put two such cranes if it were that shallow. Not much time for unloading and loading.
Banana King Bob, surveying his kingdom from his lofty castle.

You'll have the red carpet ready to roll out as she pulls into the drive.
Suppose she couldn't get any?

Bobby Mhor

Guru
The rats kicked you out then, after you'd finished building their den. Can't understand why you didn't trust your own work.
No rat issues round here back then. Yours came with excellent all round views though.
Enjoy the few hours of freedom left and your last breakfast.
Seems an odd place to put two such cranes if it were that shallow. Not much time for unloading and loading.
Banana King Bob, surveying his kingdom from his lofty castle.

You'll have the red carpet ready to roll out as she pulls into the drive.
Suppose she couldn't get any?

The area there was called the Great Harbour and was separate from the main dock. Lots of semi-naval stuff going on.
Had to go through security if needing access to the 'Perch'.
the Dock marina is thinking of expanding now to there as its not used much and is ideal for this purpose with easy access to the estuary.
We sometimes would get access to fish off it depending what was moored up *some shady stuff*

They have just landed so be a while yet..
too wet for any carpet..
I have some dirty pots and pans as a welcome home.....
I got sent a photo of the so called airport duty free..
dearer than our supermarkets :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
The area there was called the Great Harbour and was separate from the main dock. Lots of semi-naval stuff going on.
Had to go through security if needing access to the 'Perch'.
the Dock marina is thinking of expanding now to there as its not used much and is ideal for this purpose with easy access to the estuary.
We sometimes would get access to fish off it depending what was moored up *some shady stuff*

They have just landed so be a while yet..
too wet for any carpet..
I have some dirty pots and pans as a welcome home.....
I got sent a photo of the so called airport duty free..
dearer than our supermarkets :laugh:
You had your own security pass, printed at home and the ink still drying?
Surprised they let you through.
What sort of *shady stuff*, and did you ever get aerial photographs of any of it?

She'll be back just in time for Agnes to greet her.
She'll love that sort of welcome home. Especially if you were sat asleep in front of the telly.
What'd you order from the photo you were sent.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
You had your own security pass, printed at home and the ink still drying?
Surprised they let you through.
What sort of *shady stuff*, and did you ever get aerial photographs of any of it?

She'll be back just in time for Agnes to greet her.
She'll love that sort of welcome home. Especially if you were sat asleep in front of the telly.
What'd you order from the photo you were sent.

RNAS (Royal Naval Auxiliary Service) ships based in that harbour area, Faslane, Coulport, the old torpedo range are within an hours sail..
figure what and where the boats operated.. The Clyde has easy access to the North Atlantic and has the nearest deep water harbour(s) to North America, easy access to the waters around Iceland etc etc.
There are photos available online but all look copyright covered..
See HERE
The crane (next to the hideout) shows in one photo..

A litre of Japanese gin....
no rock but my usual coaster...(not the ship type)

Talking about cameras,
I found a Kodak Brownie camera and took it to plod and got it back 6 month later..
I used that well....
but not then....
I was about 8 (?) at the time...

classic33

Leg End Member
RNAS (Royal Naval Auxiliary Service) ships based in that harbour area, Faslane, Coulport, the old torpedo range are within an hours sail..
figure what and where the boats operated.. The Clyde has easy access to the North Atlantic and has the nearest deep water harbour(s) to North America, easy access to the waters around Iceland etc etc.
There are photos available online but all look copyright covered..
See HERE
The crane (next to the hideout) shows in one photo..

A litre of Japanese gin....
no rock but my usual coaster...(not the ship type)

Talking about cameras,
I found a Kodak Brownie camera and took it to plod and got it back 6 month later..
I used that well....
but not then....
I was about 8 (?) at the time...
Ever sneak aboard any of the vessels, visit the torpedo range...? Get caught!!
In the brig had to be a good excuse for missing school, and it'd have been Classified so you'd not have been able to tell anyone why.
The Scottish ports were well known for easy access to the North Atlantic, and safe harbour.
Weren't the British Home Fleet stationed in Scottish waters. Engineer W R Kinipple', they really knew how to pick their engineers back then.

On holiday in Japan for a week. Two days travelling either way. Hope the gin worth the travelling she did to get it.
No rock, how will you manage.

You still got the Brownie?

Top Bottom