Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have to admit, I'm not keen on the heat. Already starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.
Just think, four months ago it were the cold that were problem.

Slightly fresher here, slight breeze as well.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use the Scots expression just to keep it alive..
no Englishsizing some stuff, old chap..
me? Greenpeace would turn up and try and drag me back into deep water..

Plants and veg all fed and fed....
catching up on early morning rounders....
amongst other things....

23.5c just now, jeez..
and it hasn't bathed the back garden totally yet.. gonna be a warm one..
plenty fluids available....

Day off from babysitting/childminding......
off to catch up with things....
We've a similar one in these parts, that means something else entirely. Nowt wrong with keeping the local lingo alive.
Why would Greenpeace want to drag you into deeper water, you could drown!

I assume you're "fed and fed" as well before attempting any catching up on anything!

Low 20's at present, round these parts. You're in danger of sweating away to nowt if this heat carries on. Yer 70% water after all.

He'll be back, unannounced this evening, just when you thought it were safe...
Don't tire yerssen out catching up...

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Just think, four months ago it were the cold that were problem.

Slightly fresher here, slight breeze as well.
Cold is never a problem with Bob..
We've a similar one in these parts, that means something else entirely. Nowt wrong with keeping the local lingo alive.
Why would Greenpeace want to drag you into deeper water, you could drown!

I assume you're "fed and fed" as well before attempting any catching up on anything!

Low 20's at present, round these parts. You're in danger of sweating away to nowt if this heat carries on. Yer 70% water after all.

He'll be back, unannounced this evening, just when you thought it were safe...
Don't tire yerssen out catching up...

Bob the whale....
24.6c now....
Spent some time removing original parts out of an old tower..
new motherboard now has new processor and fan fitted, memory in place , I've ordered a new drive that fits on the m/board, oh and better power supply fitted..
inheriting another graphics card, fitting the board once I suss the points needed but power cables and sockets could be fun TBH...
oldest Mhor can assist and check I'm doing it correctly..
brain is stressed with what I did earlier....

classic33

Leg End Member
Cold is never a problem with Bob..

Bob the whale....
24.6c now....
Spent some time removing original parts out of an old tower..
new motherboard now has new processor and fan fitted, memory in place , I've ordered a new drive that fits on the m/board, oh and better power supply fitted..
inheriting another graphics card, fitting the board once I suss the points needed but power cables and sockets could be fun TBH...
oldest Mhor can assist and check I'm doing it correctly..
brain is stressed with what I did earlier....
Just going out when it's wet and cold?

Protected species!
Pushing twenty here, Yer just showing off now you have warmer weather than here.
When you say power cables, what sort might you need?
Still think you'd have been better starting afresh.
Can't the Young Un give it the once over, tech questions should be directed to the youngest these days. Or so I'm informed.
Wothado?

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Scotland is a similar distance timewise here.
I could walk to The Wailing Wall or Solomon's Temple in less time though
We even have a Moscow oop 'ere....
sadly no surfing in nearby California...
Just going out when it's wet and cold?

Protected species!
Pushing twenty here, Yer just showing off now you have warmer weather than here.
When you say power cables, what sort might you need?
Still think you'd have been better starting afresh.
Can't the Young Un give it the once over, tech questions should be directed to the youngest these days. Or so I'm informed.
Wothado?
20.3c at 20.56..
our back is a sun trap though.
power cables?
One radio has a EMC filter box built in and that is the one going wonky.
I'm looking to buy a supply which can power two radios, separate connectors....

Young 'uns dad did the last one but I'm almost there with this one, think I have the power cables sussed but I could just disconnect the other tower and copy as it is the same m/board and processor but first new drive comes tomorrow. I might even buy one for this computer. I'm using the hobby computer as the other is busy working UHF radio.
I have to say Beag is only 4 1/2 but has a very sharp sense of humour and knows how to be sarcastic LOL

classic33

Leg End Member
We even have a Moscow oop 'ere....
sadly no surfing in nearby California...

20.3c at 20.56..
our back is a sun trap though.
power cables?
One radio has a EMC filter box built in and that is the one going wonky.
I'm looking to buy a supply which can power two radios, separate connectors....

Young 'uns dad did the last one but I'm almost there with this one, think I have the power cables sussed but I could just disconnect the other tower and copy as it is the same m/board and processor but first new drive comes tomorrow. I might even buy one for this computer. I'm using the hobby computer as the other is busy working UHF radio.
I have to say Beag is only 4 1/2 but has a very sharp sense of humour and knows how to be sarcastic LOL
We have Egypt nearby, nothing from Russia though.
Weak/no signal?

Last time I checked, about half four it were 24.5 here.

On the lead front, don't think I've anything that'd match your requirements. Ive kept a fair share of internal leads when I've stripped old computers, having taken the parts I wanted.

You sat there and watched, possibly taking notes as he did. Hope you don't get any shorts when you turn it on.
What price were the new hard drive?
Any idea where he might have picked those up?

classic33

Leg End Member
Question?
Old valve radio, not tried turning it on yet, or even plugging it in, any advice or ideas on if it'd be worth fixing?
Fixing depends on being able to get hold of the correct valves, if needed/required.
Old ex military SW radio.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
We have Egypt nearby, nothing from Russia though.
Weak/no signal?

Last time I checked, about half four it were 24.5 here.

On the lead front, don't think I've anything that'd match your requirements. Ive kept a fair share of internal leads when I've stripped old computers, having taken the parts I wanted.

You sat there and watched, possibly taking notes as he did. Hope you don't get any shorts when you turn it on.
What price were the new hard drive?
Any idea where he might have picked those up?
Very cheap considering, 40 GB quids, MVNe stick..dunno, if use it for main drive or back up..
Its a fresh install that panics me :laugh:
Question?
Old valve radio, not tried turning it on yet, or even plugging it in, any advice or ideas on if it'd be worth fixing?
Fixing depends on being able to get hold of the correct valves, if needed/required.
Old ex military SW radio.

For sentimentality reasons..
plug it in and see, valves are still available but could be a money pit.
There is a market of restoring enthusiasts for this stuff out there.

If listening is what you want...
SDR is the way to go..
from a dongle to a dedicated 'black box' ....
just as sensitive as my radios..
free software available to use with..
plug and play with some of the black boxes (installation of some stuff required'

classic33

Leg End Member
Very cheap considering, 40 GB quids, MVNe stick..dunno, if use it for main drive or back up..
Its a fresh install that panics me :laugh:

For sentimentality reasons..
plug it in and see, valves are still available but could be a money pit.
There is a market of restoring enthusiasts for this stuff out there.

If listening is what you want...
SDR is the way to go..
from a dongle to a dedicated 'black box' ....
just as sensitive as my radios..
free software available to use with..
plug and play with some of the black boxes (installation of some stuff required'
Not bad, a touch on the small side these days but if does what you need it to.
Isn't a fresh install the easier option, as there's less chance of "Hardware Not Recognised" appearing?

Bought on a whim, and memories of listening to the less well listened to broadcasts at night.
The valves being shot has already gone through my head, as did replacement price.
Not that into it now, but around the turn of the century, we'd a lot of Ultra Short Wave signals that could be picked up. Often no more than what sounded like Morse code.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Not bad, a touch on the small side these days but if does what you need it to.
Isn't a fresh install the easier option, as there's less chance of "Hardware Not Recognised" appearing?

Bought on a whim, and memories of listening to the less well listened to broadcasts at night.
The valves being shot has already gone through my head, as did replacement price.
Not that into it now, but around the turn of the century, we'd a lot of Ultra Short Wave signals that could be picked up. Often no more than what sounded like Morse code.

Lots of stuff out there can be decoded, faves of mine is GMDSS or HFDL..
Some programs for it are free..
YaDD for GMDSS or YaND for Navtex...
I use a Youloop HERE, I actually have two but only one is up as I am using the coax for my CubeSat stuff..
I have a desktop contraption which covers quite a bit of spectrum HERE bigger and better are available same place

My SDRPlay has two (three antenna ports) , SDRplay rs1a (basic but superb model has one)..
a much cheaper dongle covers high HF to 1.2 Gig (?) SDRPlays cover 0 - 2 gig..
YouTube is yer mate..
Have a look....

I pointed a couple of pals in that direction..
one borrowed my RSP1A and within an hour of setting it up, purchase made....
as I said the Toob is the place to see them in action.

Top Bottom