Tea? (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've seen an 82 year old, out in the fields digging drains with pick & shovel. None of this new technology for him whilst he could do it himself.
My dad was a fencing & drainage contractor and did much of his work by hand. Paying for it now mind you with crippling arthritis. No post chapper machines back then. I used to watch him swinging the mell round in circles and hitting the post square on every time, never splitting the post. The straining posts were dug with a long handled spade and he got them into position by hand. Although he had a JCB for digging the drains, it was still the clay pipes back then so he was down in cold damp drains laying them by hand.

classic33

Leg End Member
My dad was a fencing & drainage contractor and did much of his work by hand. Paying for it now mind you with crippling arthritis. No post chapper machines back then. I used to watch him swinging the mell round in circles and hitting the post square on every time, never splitting the post. The straining posts were dug with a long handled spade and he got them into position by hand. Although he had a JCB for digging the drains, it was still the clay pipes back then so he was down in cold damp drains laying them by hand.
I'm only going back 10 -15 years.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
:eek: Lots of talk about broke backs, pulling, stuffing and smashing down the back doors on here today...

...if I had an imagination I might think you lot were being rude :angel: :whistle:

Mr Fu you certainly have a vivid imagination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom