Tea? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Getting close then.

When I went to Mexico for an academic conference, we went and returned via Schipol. Going out was all exciting, but coming it back, it was very annoying to virtually fly over home in order to get to Amsterdam to catch a flight back!

That was a 747. I was so new to flying (still am really), I just revelled in the experience. I still find it hard to understand how a thing that big flies! I mean, I know how it does it, but a little part of my brain just refuses to comprehend it.

I remember on the way out, we went via the Arctic Circle, and down over Canada (hours of forest), and then the US (more hours of huge square beige fields). Coming back, we came straight across the Atlantic (hours and hours of sea), before landfall over Ireland. It was so wonderful to see all those higgledy piggledy tiny green fields again. Until then, I hadn't realised how homesick I was!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
And, coming up on your left on the coast Rockaay is Ystad, where, if you are lucky, you might just see Wallander!! :laugh:

And, coming up on your right very soon will be Malmo, currently recovering from last night's Eurovision Song Contest. If you look carefully, you might just see the presenter's MAHOOSIVE frock!

And then, across the water, also on your right, there is Copenhagen. Look carefully and you might see one of Sarah Lund's jumpers!!

....I'll get me coat.

Lullabelle

Banana
Getting close then.

When I went to Mexico for an academic conference, we went and returned via Schipol. Going out was all exciting, but coming it back, it was very annoying to virtually fly over home in order to get to Amsterdam to catch a flight back!

That was a 747. I was so new to flying (still am really), I just revelled in the experience. I still find it hard to understand how a thing that big flies! I mean, I know how it does it, but a little part of my brain just refuses to comprehend it.

I remember on the way out, we went via the Arctic Circle, and down over Canada (hours of forest), and then the US (more hours of huge square beige fields). Coming back, we came straight across the Atlantic (hours and hours of sea), before landfall over Ireland. It was so wonderful to see all those higgledy piggledy tiny green fields again. Until then, I hadn't realised how homesick I was!

I was really nervous about my first flight but a wise lady told me that once we were above the clouds I would be fine, she was right- it was like looking at a huge fluffy duvet. Not good with heights so I never sit by the window. Flying doesn't bother me quite so much now but it is a huge relief to land. I have to resist the urge to 'do a pope' and kiss the tarmac.

Lullabelle

Banana
And, coming up on your left on the coast Rockaay is Ystad, where, if you are lucky, you might just see Wallander!! :laugh:

And, coming up on your right very soon will be Malmo, currently recovering from last night's Eurovision Song Contest. If you look carefully, you might just see the presenter's MAHOOSIVE frock!

And then, across the water, also on your right, there is Copenhagen. Look carefully and you might see one of Sarah Lund's jumpers!!

....I'll get me coat.

Did we loose then :unsure: maybe if there is a Eurovision OAP Concert we might be in with a chance.

Lullabelle

Banana
Just a bit, yes (Denmark won).

Given our current attempts, I doubt even that would help us!

Why does it have to be dreary ballads these days, whatever happened to fun and upbeat songs, ok Abba and Bucks Fizz are dated now but at least they were a bit of fun.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The longest flight I have done was from Vancouver to Heathrow, about nine hours I think. The flight left Vancouver at 8pm and we were flying eastwards, so into the daylight. The man next to me insisted on having the window blind up! The Air Hostesses tried and failed to persuade him to close it, he refused cos he was reading. :wacko: I think I landed at Heathrow at about 8am and then had a five hour journey back here. I think this means I lasted about 36 hours without any sleep. Good practice admittedly in case I ever want to do a Fnrttc, but not enjoyable, not at all.

On the way across Canada by train, four days going from Toronto to Vancouver, there were days with two changes of times, from Eastern, to Central etc. This did not affect me at all really, as I kept to "tummy time" with regards to meals on the train. It was very civilised as passengers in the sleeping cars could make reservations for meal times.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I love flying and hate to miss a single second of it - and I'm afraid that means keeping the blind open. Worst flight ever (including trans-Atlantic in storms) was London-Tel Aviv when I was in the middle seat of the middle row. :surrender:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom