Still looking for 650b wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Front is easier to tell you, rear looks more like a QR hub - photos might help.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Front is easier to tell you, rear looks more like a QR hub - photos might help.

Its not quick release,(turns out it is qr)its the old type with a nut….I can remove the wheel and take a pic of the fittings if that helps?

Last edited:

fossyant

Its not quick release, its the old type with a nut….I can remove the wheel and take a pic of the fittings if that helps?

OK, this is more complicated. If the rear is on by nuts, it will be possibly 130mm or 135mm axels (no mention of 126 these days please), older standard. It's weird it has a through axel too.

You will have an issue getting a 'pair' of matching wheels. Hmmmm......

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Ok, the gap between the dropouts is 135mm, do I need the width? If so which width? Of the actual fitting or the gap where the alxe goes?

Cheers guys, sorry for the idiots guide to wheel buying.

Attachments

• IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Sounds like a standard QR 135mm rear axel. I suspect you've got some semi security QR end caps on that need an allen key ?

Yeah an allen key, so its still a QR just with the actual leveler removed, that makes sense…its the rear I’m in desperate need of, I can just buy a rear for now.

Last edited:

fossyant

Yeah an allen key, so its still a QR just with the actual level removed, that makes sense…its the rear I’m in desperate need of, I can just buy a rear for now.

Looks like it..

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Sorry didn’t think you meant the hub, I’ve now measured the width of the dropout fitting its 9mm, so I need to look for a hub that is 9mm-135mm QR? Edit actually the driveside seems to 10mm non drive side 9mm?

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do you need new wheels or just new rims lacing onto existing hubs, or are the hubs farked, as the former is a pretty easy job for a local wheel builder?

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Do you need new wheels or just new rims lacing onto existing hubs, or are the hubs farked, as the former is a pretty easy job for a local wheel builder?

New rims…for the price of a rebuild and a new rim I might as well buy a new wheel as the wheel I have now came standard with the bike so doubt its worth rebuilding.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
New rims…for the price of a rebuild and a new rim I might as well buy a new wheel as the wheel I have now came standard with the bike so doubt its worth rebuilding.

Just take the bike to the most reputable proper bike shop in your area which actually does things like wheel building etc and ask them what's available and to give you some prices? You don't have to commit to anything. Ask for off the shelf and home built.
I had a two pairs of wheels built and they were both over £200 for the cheapest and that was some years ago.

Top Bottom