Still looking for 650b wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
New rims…for the price of a rebuild and a new rim I might as well buy a new wheel as the wheel I have now came standard with the bike so doubt its worth rebuilding.

possibly - doesnt look like anything special from spec and photo!
However its an odd off the shelf combo being front TA and rear QR, which is why hand built is probably the way forward.

just because one shop didn't respond doesn't mean there are a number of decent wheel builders near you

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
£300 will be about right for a pair of average handbuilt wheels.
It may be cheaper just to get a good used second-hand hybrid. You could get something really decent for £300ish.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Indeed so neither electric nor off road per the quoted statement :whistle:

They are indeed the replacement range for the R7 models…for one of which the Op is trying to buy a wheel ;)

There are a bunch of Whyte dealers jn the NW
https://whytebikes.com/pages/retailer-locator

The Rheo 2 and Rheo 3 are electric, the Rheo 1 is not electric.
Odd naming from Whyte as Rheo has electrical connotations so why they have a non electric version in that range is a bit confusing.

vickster

Legendary Member
They have a gravel range too which isn’t a purely off road offer.
Think you can still find some of the older R7 flatbars new for now

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
£300 will be about right for a pair of average handbuilt wheels.
It may be cheaper just to get a good used second-hand hybrid. You could get something really decent for £300ish.

Thought this worth an answer as it does seem a reasonable idea but I have spares already bought for this bike, tyres, chains and cassettes, plus it may come as a shock to those that have read my threads but I have fixed most issues on this bike and I don’t fancy going through that learning curve with another bike, from gears, breaks, bottom bracket and crankset etc…and now I know what wheels it needs, don't think you guys want to go through another thread like this with a new bike :laugh:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Just ordered the rear for now as the front has just been trued so not too bad, the rear was £157 with delivery.

For relevant (As such) interest: I’ve been using my Sons (I didn’t realise - quite highly reviewed) Carrera Subway as my ‘beater’ bike for the last 6 months.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ike-2020---grey---s-m-l-xl-frames-346126.html

It had sat in the shed unused for some years (?) and I swapped a few bits because they were rusty, a few bits because I jazzed it up a bit - and then after getting into using it regularly - a few bits as they stared to clearly be nearing the end of their working life. All of that only cost “£20 here and there”.

Then the wheel-issues came.

Spokes were pitted. Especially at crossover point of the lacing. Some wouldn’t hold tension as the threads from spoke to nipple were going. I then had issues with nipples breaking - and finally a noise in the rear hub I cannot diagnose or get rid of - despite 3 trips to the local bike shop / strip-downs etc.

As this bike had been with us for 10+ years; had just had a few other components renewed - and rode so well / was much loved - I was very keen to keep it going.

…….until it became obvious the cheapest set of replacement wheels known to man were £130. Something semi decent were approaching £300.
And then Halfords had their current sale on bringing the new, improved, re-vamped Carrera Subway complete bike down to just ££286 built. I picked it up this Tuesday. And to be fair to Halfords the build they did was really good. Everything lubed, correct torque etc. Gears and brakes adjusted perfectly. I was surprised and impressed equally. And it’s all ridiculously solid quality for such silly little money.

BUT - what a throwaway World when I can buy a better, newer brand-new model…..than replace just the wheels of the older model.

Mad, throwaway World we live in……..😳

Top Bottom