Still looking for 650b wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

Über Member
Still need some 650b wheels for my commuter, was going to go hand made but the recommendation I received didn’t bother replying to my enquiry, so now looking for a factory set, not happy paying £300 for a set of wheels when no response and the reviews are not great either, same issue, no response or a rude dismissive response when they do get a reply. Would prefer to just buy factory.

Not many choices about, thought I foud a decent set but seems they are only good for tubless, I have 4 spare tyes which aren’t tubless so that counts them out they were mavic allroad 650b, am I correct in thinking they are tubless or need tubless compatible tyres if going with an inner tube?

Any other suggestions greatly welcomed as I’m using my brompton atm for longer runs when I could be using my Whyte Portobello.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Still need some 650b wheels for my commuter, was going to go hand made but the recommendation I received didn’t bother replying to my enquiry, so now looking for a factory set, not happy paying £300 for a set of wheels when no response and the reviews are not great either, same issue, no response or a rude dismissive response when they do get a reply. Would prefer to just buy factory.

Not many choices about, thought I foud a decent set but seems they are only good for tubless, I have 4 spare tyes which aren’t tubless so that counts them out they were mavic allroad 650b, am I correct in thinking they are tubless or need tubless compatible tyres if going with an inner tube?

Any other suggestions greatly welcomed as I’m using my brompton atm for longer runs when I could be using my Whyte Portobello.

I would be surprised if you could not fit a tube and normal tyre on those rims. Why would you not be able to? The problem is the other way around, some non tubeless ready rims do not work well as tubeless.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
I would be surprised if you could not fit a tube and normal tyre on those rims. Why would you not be able to? The problem is the other way around, some non tubeless ready rims do not work well as tubeless.

I’m no expert but the allroad are grippless rims and you are only meant to use tubless tyres on grippless rims?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You really need to be specific. 650b is a rim size, but you also need to know the rim width you want, and also both the front hub and rear hub dimensions and whether QR, or through axel, axel width (and there are many). If you know these, just get off the peg. The issue is there are too many specifications at the moment and it's a pain.

There is no simple answer now unless you know all these bits for a quote.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
Pick up the phone to Spacycles and speak to them, they have always been helpful for me. Don’t email for initial enquiry (although in my experience they will reply but not necessarily quickly).

I think you can use tubes and clinchers with tubeless ready wheels (or just sell the tyres).

Otherwise, these for example can be run tubed or tubeless
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vel/23-GRL-Alloy-Gravel-Disc-650b-Wheelset/TW53?

Continental state on their site that the only tyre they sell suitable for grippless rims is their GP5000 but it only comes in 700c

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Über Member
You really need to be specific. 650b is a rim size, but you also need to know the rim width you want, and also both the front hub and rear hub dimensions and whether QR, or through axel, axel width (and there are many). If you know these, just get off the peg. The issue is there are too many specifications at the moment and it's a pain.

There is no simple answer now unless you know all these bits for a quote.

Exactly! Its not an easy task.

The bike came with 47c tyres, width 25mm, front hub is thru axle and back is fixed nut but even knowing all that its not enough I know lol

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you based?
Perhaps someone can suggest an LBS that can help you figure out what you need (better still a Whyte dealer!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are missing a load of info. It's a blooming nightmare now. You need to get the full specs of the wheels - hub type, axel width etc etc before you can get a rim - the rim is easy, it's the hub as there are way too many options now and they all don't fit. Madness isn't it.

Top Bottom