Specialized...you may want to rethink this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How can they claim Roubaix as a trade mark? It is the name of a French town as we all know. I think the town of Roubaix should claim against Specialized for using it.

[QUOTE 2811322, member: 45"]I still love both of my Spesh bikes and would buy another.[/quote]
There's always one..

Howard

Does it suck? Yes. Is it ALL the fault of Specialized? No. A huge part of it is the flawed way in which IP law works- especially around Trademark.

Maybe they shouldn't have tried to have trademarked the name of a French region that was already used in cycling and cycling products.

70pc their fault for trying, 30pc for some pen pusher not doing their research and granting it to them.

snailracer

Über Member
The TM wouldn't have been granted if they felt that was the case, Spesh will have explained why it should have been TM'd
The granting of a trademark doesn't mean that it is forever valid - but is up to applicants (typically someone accused of infringement) to make the case to invalidate it. A trademark that is not sufficiently unique to the trademark holder (such as, IMO, a place name!) is one of a number of grounds for invalidation.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Surely you cant trademark a word already in general use? A quick google of the word produced a number of places & organisations using the word in their names etc. Pity because I ride their bikes although I havent bought anything lately, dont think I will now either cant stand corporate money grabbers.
that was what the Australians defence was based on in the Ugg case and they won.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
It covers the name Roubaix though!

Specialized's trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office registers the "Roubaix" covers both bicycles and bicycles components.
As clothing is not covered by the trademark Specialized have no reason or obligation to be suing Nike and all the other companies who sell Roubaix tights in Canada as there has been no infringement.

400bhp

Guru
Specialized's trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office registers the "Roubaix" covers both bicycles and bicycles components.
As clothing is not covered by the trademark Specialized have no reason or obligation to be suing Nike and all the other companies who sell Roubaix tights in Canada as there has been no infringement.

So, not bike shops then.

Top Bottom