Specialized...you may want to rethink this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Says who? I can't find anything in the original article that says any such thing. The closest is: "Richter says his lawyer thinks they have a good case to make", which (a) isn't quite the same thing, and (b) comes from, er, let me see now...'his lawyer' - ie, the guy who stands to make craploads of money 'making a case', win or lose.

IP law exists for two basic reasons, both in my view perfectly valid.

One, if I've invested the time, effort and money - both by investing in the name and by working my balls off to ensure that goods sold under that name are the dog's bollocks - to make 'Bobo's' a name people trust and will pay a premium for - why should you be able to capitalise on that investment by selling your goods as 'Bobo's'? Earn your own goodwill, don't parasite on mine.

Two: what if your Bobo's aren't much cop, and stories start going around (and Lord knows, stories can 'get around' these days) about how 'these Bobo's aren't all they're cracked up to be'?

In short, why should you be able to cash in on my investment, and what gives you the right to put that investment at risk?

And that applies whether 'you' are another corporation, a mom & pop store or an ex-vet. Them's the rules, and they're there for very good reasons. If you don't like 'em, don't play the game.

PS And that, being my position as clearly as I think I can state it, is where I withdraw from the fray. Disagree by all means; I'm outta here.

You are correct, but in this case it seems to be that a giant corporation are bullying some small fish in a big pond over a name that clearly belongs to France not exactly theirs to say who can use the name.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
You are correct, but in this case it seems to be that a giant corporation are bullying some small fish in a big pond over a name that clearly belongs to France not exactly theirs to say who can use the name.
Exactly.

thom

____
This just confirms what I already felt, that Specialized are soulless, uncool and naff.
I cannot imagine purchasing one of their bikes unless perhaps I'd been lobotomised.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If I were buying new, I do not think I would buy Specialized anyway. I do not favor the brand, it seldom comes in my favorite color or size in my area, and the sizable cost and labor involved would be an offense to my sizable awareness of my meager wallet. Fulfillment of my cycling needs does not necessarily require deep pockets, as seems to be the opinion of our local dealer. Have a good day, Y'all!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would be interested to know if Dan Richter of 'cafe roubaix' would take legal action if someone started using the name 'roubaix cafe' both of which are generic terms based upon his complaint.
Would he not be concerned about products entering the market under a name/description which may be confused with his own?

Mr Haematocrit

I'm also curious to know, why Dan Richter never looked at trademarks when deciding upon branding. Specialized's trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office registers the "Roubaix" covers both bicycles and bicycles components.

From my less than legal understanding, the issue is not with the shops name itself, but the cycle products named 'roubaix'

thom

____
I would be interested to know if Dan Richter of 'cafe roubaix' would take legal action if someone started using the name 'roubaix cafe' both of which are generic terms based upon his complaint.
Would he not be concerned about products entering the market under a name/description which may be confused with his own?
What a bizarre comparison ?!
Perhaps if he had protected the term "Cafe Roubaix" then he might consider it. You don't know, so you can't tell and your hypothetical question is rendered absurd in my humble, humble opinion.

The connotations of the word Roubaix are not to Specialized's Roubaix bike, they are to the Paris-Roubaix race. Which is why Specialized chose that name as well - exactly the same reason.
As well as these items :
Endura Roubaix gloves, jackets
Tifosi Roubaix glasses
Castelli Roubaix gloves
Fuji Roubaix bike
Challenge Roubaix tire
Veloflex Roubaix tire
Capo- whole line of Roubaix clothes
DeMarchi Roubaix clothes
MEC Roubaix tights
VCC Roubaix knee warmers…

thom

____
I'm also curious to know, why Dan Richter never looked at trademarks when deciding upon branding. Specialized's trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office registers the "Roubaix" covers both bicycles and bicycles components.

From my less than legal understanding, the issue is not with the shops name itself, but the cycle products named 'roubaix'
You don't need to defend these guys you know - people do make mistakes, even your heroes...

Mr Haematocrit

What a bizarre comparison ?!
Perhaps if he had protected the term "Cafe Roubaix" then he might consider it. You don't know, so you can't tell and your hypothetical question is rendered absurd in my humble, humble opinion.

The connotations of the word Roubaix are not to Specialized's Roubaix bike, they are to the Paris-Roubaix race. Which is why Specialized chose that name as well - exactly the same reason.
As well as these items :
Endura Roubaix gloves, jackets
Tifosi Roubaix glasses
Castelli Roubaix gloves
Fuji Roubaix bike
Challenge Roubaix tire
Veloflex Roubaix tire
Capo- whole line of Roubaix clothes
DeMarchi Roubaix clothes
MEC Roubaix tights
VCC Roubaix knee warmers…

The trademarks covers both bicycles and bicycles components. Fuji use the name under licence from Specialized and the other items listed are clothing which are not covered by the trademark.

thom

____
The trademarks covers both bicycles and bicycles components. Fuji use the name under licence from Specialized and the other items listed are clothing which are not covered by the trademark.
And what of coffee shops come bike shops ?

It is absurd and whatever the legal rights or wrongs, it is a PR disaster for Specialized !

No matter what we all think and we do all have freedom of speech, its Specialized trying to bully a small business and that's all, the name Roubaix is French and shouldn't even be allowed to be owned/copyrighted by an American company who sue anyone for looking at one of their products the wrong way..........Specialized are the bad boys in this, not a small business running a tiny bike shop.

Top Bottom