Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Well first 2 miles of the N.Y. and 3 p.b.'s

http://app.strava.com/activities/35034865#573884262 ,
http://app.strava.com/activities/35034865#573884271
and
http://app.strava.com/activities/35034865#573884269
ok the ride was on fresh legs and very short only 2 miles, but it was 5 mins past midnight.

Happy New Year all, and have safe rides.

Sorry Nigel but this seems a little obsessive. I thought I was pushing it planning a ride around Swansea bay in the morning.

Sorry Nigel but this seems a little obsessive. I thought I was pushing it planning a ride around Swansea bay in the morning.
Just a laugh, it wasn't a serious ride, I just happened to get 3 p.b.'s but it's not difficult on fresh legs and no traffic on the estate, Happy New Year .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I suspect you wont be that high come the end of the day. Well done getting out

I know, I expect to be around the 80-90 mark by end of the year.

Was a good ride though, furthest I have done in a single trip, proper country lanes and hardly any cars. Got a bit of a stitch at around 27 miles, but rode through it.

I know, I expect to be around the 80-90 mark by end of the year.

Was a good ride though, furthest I have done in a single trip, proper country lanes and hardly any cars. Got a bit of a stitch at around 27 miles, but rode through it.
I did about 3,100 from the end of June to basically mid Dec I ended the year about 87 I think it was, and generally not as fast you do, though i did manage 14mph + (just) in Aug and Sept.
The last few rides I have been doing some short but more intense rides on the short but steeper hills we have, like 200-400 yards climbing something like 60-80 ft, which are quite a climb for me, or put another way, i can do 25-35 on a normal ride and not feel it, these rides have been from 4-10 miles and i have felt it the following day. and my lungs have really had to work.
You also have to bear in mind I am 49 next month, up to 2 years ago I was drinking up to 60 units a day, the next one is smoking.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I did about 3,100 from the end of June to basically mid Dec I ended the year about 87 I think it was, and generally not as fast you do, though i did manage 14mph + (just) in Aug and Sept.
The last few rides I have been doing some short but more intense rides on the short but steeper hills we have, like 200-400 yards climbing something like 60-80 ft, which are quite a climb for me, or put another way, i can do 25-35 on a normal ride and not feel it, these rides have been from 4-10 miles and i have felt it the following day. and my lungs have really had to work.
You also have to bear in mind I am 49 next month, up to 2 years ago I was drinking up to 60 units a day, the next one is smoking.

Speed isn't everything, I like to aim for 15mph purely because it is easy to work out roughly how long a ride will take me and how long I have left on a ride.

As soon as I come to a slight incline my speed drops dramatically, I hate climbing. I make the average up by combining my weight and gravity on the down hills.

In fact I would rather bike a few miles around a climb (not that there are any in Leicester) than go over it.

Speed isn't everything, I like to aim for 15mph purely because it is easy to work out roughly how long a ride will take me and how long I have left on a ride.

As soon as I come to a slight incline my speed drops dramatically, I hate climbing. I make the average up by combining my weight and gravity on the down hills.

In fact I would rather bike a few miles around a climb (not that there are any in Leicester) than go over it.
i don't know about no hills in Leicester, there are certainly some in Leicestershire I went up and down them on my way back from London.

MattHB

Proud Daddy

I used to be exactly like this, then my power to weight ratio got usable and I now attack everything. Best advice is do the bits you hate the most, the bits you find easiest the least. Eventually they'll oddly swap over.

Leescfc79

Über Member
Not managed to get out over the Xmas period due to being away from home, only managed put my turbo together yesterday for a quick blast, also put my new pedals on but won't have chance to get out until the weekend.

I foolishly signed up for the wiggle IOW sportive this morning which take place in July with a mate, he convinced me to do the 95 mile epic, lots of training ahead for me!

Reece

Veteran

You want to get over markfield, ulverscroft and copt oak area. Some lovely hills there to train on. Was up their earlier practicing. Our club use polly bott lane for the yearly hill challenge.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You want to get over markfield, ulverscroft and copt oak area. Some lovely hills there to train on. Was up their earlier practicing. Our club use polly bott lane for the yearly hill challenge.

I struggle to drive up that hill at Copt Oak, I'll be buggered if I am going to try and bike up it! Just had a look at your Strava, you probably did more climbing on one climb than I did over 30 miles this morning. I went out Huncote / Thurlaston way this morning, nice and flattish.

Reece

Veteran
I struggle to drive up that hill at Copt Oak, I'll be buggered if I am going to try and bike up it! Just had a look at your Strava, you probably did more climbing on one climb than I did over 30 miles this morning. I went out Huncote / Thurlaston way this morning, nice and flattish.
I need the training. The 127mile sportive in June has 9 category climbs.

We go out thurlaston Huncote way every other weekend on the Sunday early ride and is a lovely flat route.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I need the training. The 127mile sportive in June has 9 category climbs.

We go out thurlaston Huncote way every other weekend on the Sunday early ride and is a lovely flat route.

That was what inspired me, I was looking at the website and picked up on the fact it looked flat that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom