Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We went out into the new forest and took a newbie mate out. He did awesomely although he bonked at 40m despite having 2 gels in his pocket!!! But we dragged him to the tea room and filled him up with flap jack!

I was chuffed set a PB on a mad little (17seconds) climb. Still was tired tho despite the (for us) moderately sedate pace. Still recovering from all these damn viruses.
Dont matter whether I have a cold or not, I still am no quicker on average. :sad:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Dont matter whether I have a cold or not, I still am no quicker on average. :sad:

When I got to about 15mph I stayed there for ages, I then joined a club, then suddenly I could hold 16.5 for long rides, then 17 now I can hold 18.5 average for 75 miles with hills on the front of the group nearly all the way! It comes.. For me that was only 6 months ago. Now I'm front of pack getting shouted at to ease up!

Forget about improving speed, work on endurance and strength. It's climbs and recovery time after hard effort that brings your average speed up more than flat speeds. Miles in your legs will sort that lot out and maybe some intervals.

The key for me was joining a club, only then did I get pushed far enough out of my comfort zone for my body to adapt, before that I was destined to plateau because, even if you think you're pushing, you never push as hard as a mate can push you.

When I got to about 15mph I stayed there for ages, I then joined a club, then suddenly I could hold 16.5 for long rides, then 17 now I can hold 18.5 average for 75 miles with hills on the front of the group nearly all the way! It comes.. For me that was only 6 months ago. Now I'm front of pack getting shouted at to ease up!

Forget about improving speed, work on endurance and strength. It's climbs and recovery time after hard effort that brings your average speed up more than flat speeds. Miles in your legs will sort that lot out and maybe some intervals.

The key for me was joining a club, only then did I get pushed far enough out of my comfort zone for my body to adapt, before that I was destined to plateau because, even if you think you're pushing, you never push as hard as a mate can push you.
I understand what you mean, I have tried to work on hills and distance this last month or so, and I do find them easier,I am not wanting 17 or 18+ just an happy 14-16 will do me, I know I must be getting better otherwise I wouldn't keep getting p.b's, the last one I do is the stretch from Darrington home its about a mile, I havent set any good speeds on it for a while, but thats probably because the rides are longer and more effort into them.
I have no problem riding 30-40 miles on almost any road, though I havent been pushed on any really serious climbs as there arn't to many around here.
Clubs ect, I tend to have a problem with getting close to people even on a day today basis.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I understand what you mean, I have tried to work on hills and distance this last month or so, and I do find them easier,I am not wanting 17 or 18+ just an happy 14-16 will do me, I know I must be getting better otherwise I wouldn't keep getting p.b's, the last one I do is the stretch from Darrington home its about a mile, I havent set any good speeds on it for a while, but thats probably because the rides are longer and more effort into them.
Clubs ect, I tend to have a problem with getting close to people even on a day today basis.

Exactly :smile: and any weight loss you can make will also drastically effect the energy needed. It's unbelievable how much energy is saved by just a handful of lb's.

power to weight is everything.

Exactly :smile: and any weight loss you can make will also drastically effect the energy needed. It's unbelievable how much energy is saved by just a handful of lb's.

power to weight is everything.
I guess the bikes not the lightest, but I do also carry a bit, I dont have call a friend option, so I need to get the bike home. I weighed myself last week for the first time and I was 12st 13lb dressed with walking boots, so I guess I have lost a stone + down from a 36" waist to 34", and thats since June, my diet is not much different, I have always tended eat healthily, though with the over indulgence sometimes.
The bike has mudguards and a rack, the idea was to carry my camera, which in itself weighs upto 5kg with other kit. (never got round to it yet however)

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I guess the bikes not the lightest, but I do also carry a bit, I dont have call a friend option, so I need to get the bike home. I weighed myself last week for the first time and I was 12st 13lb dressed with walking boots, so I guess I have lost a stone + down from a 36" waist to 34", and thats since June, my diet is not much different, I have always tended eat healthily, though with the over indulgence sometimes.
The bike has mudguards and a rack, the idea was to carry my camera, which in itself weighs upto 5kg with other kit. (never got round to it yet however)

I think you just need to keep riding and try to focus on speed less. Especially in the winter when roads are muddy/wet/icy. Sounds like you don't have much body weight left which is an awesome effort :smile:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Great ride today. 30.3 miles in 2hrs 10 mins. First 30 miler over 14mph average.

It was a fairly flat ride in Swansea bay but being over 20 st I'm pleased with my progress.

Lost another lb this week so now 20 st 11 lb

Great ride today. 30.3 miles in 2hrs 10 mins. First 30 miler over 14mph average.

It was a fairly flat ride in Swansea bay but being over 20 st I'm pleased with my progress.

Lost another lb this week so now 20 st 11 lb
Nice one Phil, I cant remember the last time I averaged over 14mph. Though to be fair I was over 14 avg yesterday for most of the ride, just tired a little or was it the dark at the end.

DaveyM

Über Member
I also have made no progress today, I have been outside working for hours and was too frozen to even consider it.
I have managed to purchase a set of bib tights today so hope that they will help with the cold lower back although I look like a 80's wrestler in them :laugh:

Good effort those who made it out

weebag

Regular
No ride for me today. Legs feeling yesterdays ride still. Did manage a load of beer and a curry last night, reward for my longest ever cycle!

Today walked the dogs 4 miles and hesitant shook off the hangover....

RWright

Guru
Looks like a slow weekend around here! I will join the crowd. I did not get in much riding at all. I got in about 5 miles Sat night and 10 miles this evening. I can't blame it on the weather as it was very mild for this time of year. I just had a lot of things I needed to get done around the house and was spending time trying to learn how to use my new Garmin 500 and Strava. :smile: The Black Friday sales broke me down and made me buy the Garmin, along with a lot of other bike things that I may or may not need. :huh:

I was trying to figure out the Garmin/Strava thing for the first time and only did six miles because I was stopping and trying to see what was going on. Not a fun ride, at night on a road that had more traffic than I anticipated and me spending WAY too much time not watching the road. I knew it was an accident waiting to happen so I went back early but still managed to figure out how to get the data and even get it onto strava.

Today was more Garmin/Strava experimenting. I was on my cruiser/comfort bike rather than my drop bar bike. (cost less if I have a get off while playing with my new Garmin) I was testing on one of my quick, flat, out and back routes, one that i use when I want to put in less than an hour and/or get off the road before sunset. I think Strava is going to help me monitor my progress better with hopefully less effort on my part. I did have to use the adjust elevation feature of Strava as I didn't have my Garmin set up properly for elevation yet. I knew I had not climbed close to 800 feet. :headshake: I still have the cateye computer on my bike as well and it and the Garmin gave pretty close results for being mechanical vs. GPS readings. Here is my ride today: http://app.strava.com/activities/30666419

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom