Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

The inevitable just happened. Decided to take the plunge and join a club run this morning. Took all the precautions, eaten lots of pasta the day before (not really planned but I have taken it into account), charged the phone, got all tools and money, put the wife on standby and got the car ready just in case I need to be recovered.

What a pleasant surprised I had as I comfortably managed 52km at at 13.2mph and it felt so easy and natural. The social experience was incredible, riding together with other people was so uplifting and everything felt perfect. Incredible views, great people, some nice challenging hills, coffee and cake at the finish line. I'm only sad that it ended to soon, I would have loved to be out there for another hour at least. The strange and unexpected part was a PR on a stupid hill which always gave me trouble on my way back but this time climbed it without even realising. Wow ... I think I'm officially addicted now, can't wait for the next one.

Well again photography wins, been working on images I took yesterday.
IMG_2821-Edit-Edit.jpg IMG_2822-Edit-Edit.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2829-Edit.jpg
    IMG_2829-Edit.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 33

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well done. That sounds like it is going to be a great club. I'm sure you will have many more great runs with them.

Just as well I am quite happy on my own because the nearest club to me in Perth is very competitive. Fast club runs, time trials, hill climbs, etc. You are lucky finding one that caters for more modest standards. :thumbsup:

Well done. That sounds like it is going to be a great club. I'm sure you will have many more great runs with them.

Just as well I am quite happy on my own because the nearest club to me in Perth is very competitive. Fast club runs, time trials, hill climbs, etc. You are lucky finding one that caters for more modest standards. :thumbsup:
I am happy to ride on my own as well Mo.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well again photography wins, been working on images I took yesterday.
View attachment 23403 View attachment 23404
Are the guitars your own Nigel or have you done this for someone else? Very nice. It is now extremely dismal and chucking it down here and I would certainly not be cycling in it but going to have to take the dog out before much longer. Thank God for decent waterproof gear these days.

MaxInc

It's actually the LBS that organise these runs and they seem quite popular. They do on the road every Saturday and off road every Sunday and have different groups. This was the social and least experienced group but still pretty nice, there is an intermediate group and a fast group as well.

Some good rides posted and Nigel, them photo's are awesome.

I managed a 11miler last night and 10miler today. Purchased my self some new wheels too, Mavic Ksyrium Elite's. Bargain too off a friend. They've only been used a couple of times and virtually brand new.
View attachment 23407
Chears Reece, I was always a better photographer than a cyclist.
Are the guitars your own Nigel or have you done this for someone else? Very nice. It is now extremely dismal and chucking it down here and I would certainly not be cycling in it but going to have to take the dog out before much longer. Thank God for decent waterproof gear these days.
A friend wanted some pics of his speaker and amp for ebay, and some of the guitar which he is keeping.
Yeah, I was out for an hour this morning before I even saw a vehicle. Peace and quiet, deer occasionally crossing the road, a buzzard sitting on a fence post within a few feet, etc. Just love it. I think someone yapping in my lug would annoy me! :laugh:
It was like the other night when I took the pics of those trees, I am sure i followed an Owl for the best part of 1/2 a mile while it was on the wing, it fly parallel to the road, however it never came above the horizon for me to get a better view, and I am not the best bird spotter.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I'm waiting for a new rear wheel for my Roubaix. I wasn't looking forward to getting the mountain bike out but I really enjoyed it. It's been 8 months since I've ridden it and thought it would feel heavy and unresponsive but it was great fun.

I climbed for an hour into the Brecon Beacons and got this view.

image.jpg

My cafe stop was at Brecon Mountain Railway

I'll be back out on it tomorrow and will need to get it out more often even when my road bike is fixed.
http://app.strava.com/activities/54847127

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 47

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That looks like it would have been fun. As they say, a change is as good as a rest. Must start using the hybrid a bit more too. It is heavier and more upright so feels slower. However, it is also comfortable for pottering around enjoying the scenery. The Specialized Nimbus tyres that are currently on it feel very wooden and don't roll very well. When funds allow I might put a set of Durano Plus on it since they have done so well on the road bike.

I think mixing things up a bit keeps you from getting a bit stale at times.

Reece

Veteran
Well that was weird. Just got a strava notification saying I'd lost my KOM on GCW Glenparva sprint. Didn't realise I even had the KOM on it after i lost it before. Plus I'm sure my best time on that was 52 secs but is now 42 secs.

Have you noticed your time change Chris?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Very nice wheels Reece! I've read a lot about wheels and they are the best for under £500 from what I've read. Should be a big upgrade on the stock giant wheels.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well I just went out on the Focus and even though I felt like crap for some reason I got the bit between my teeth and just went for it. Achieved my first 18mph average, 18.6 in fact.

For the first time since I got my garmin in January I forgot to wear my heart rate monitor though. :rolleyes: The one time I'd really like to see my data as well!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well that was weird. Just got a strava notification saying I'd lost my KOM on GCW Glenparva sprint. Didn't realise I even had the KOM on it after i lost it before. Plus I'm sure my best time on that was 52 secs but is now 42 secs.

Have you noticed your time change Chris?

Yours still says 52 seconds, there may be more than one?

http://app.strava.com/activities/54712655#995757367

Yep, there are two, here is the second one

http://app.strava.com/activities/54712655#995757387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom