Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
img1815nc.jpg

Those pedals are too small and nowhere near black enough. :becool:

I should add something I learnt while on my ride today. While holding a mule bar when riding, it is best for a firmer grip than merely two fingers, as an unseen and highly erratic section of tarmac may jolt you so as to send the uneaten mule bar flying thru the air and landing somewhere in the vicinity of the rear tyre.

Fortunately spares were at hand!

You got a puncture from a mule bar?

MaxInc

Adding on previous post, what saddle bag is that, looks roomy enough for my needs.

Did my first 10mile without stopping (except for a small traffic light), quite windy but managed 15.3mph. Was busy at work and totally misread the forecast with rains apparently for tomorrow and not today as I was wrongly expecting.

I have tightened a couple of spokes on the front wheel but I'm getting some cracking sounds coming from the front wheel. It is similar to spokes rubbing on each other except the spokes on the RS10 front are radial and don't overlap. Could these be the nipples under tension rubbing against the rim? Shall I try some WD40 on them?

Love the black wrapping on your Synapse. The white ones look nice only new / clean in the showroom :sad:

SWSteve

Guru
Went out after an early shift (4.30am till 13.00pm) @ 15.00pm to try and make up some mileage lost yesterday with the winds as it looked fairly sedate in Morden, only to find myself surroundered by 19 mph winds 10 miles in. Also hit the 4pm London to Surrey Friday 4x4 and People Carrier procession which, along with a poorly planned route leading to some shocking cycle paths, some back tracking and one diversion, meant that leading up to Box Hill I had an average speed of 12mph.

Managed to get back on track by the end of the route, back up to 13.4 (Strava) 13.7 (Garmin), and got a PR on the Box Hill Segment I use, still 3x slower than the leaders but a minute and 20 seconds shaved off my previous best, (overall time a snailike 12 minutes 24 seconds still!)

http://app.strava.com/activities/53461909#967284487

Didn't feel brilliant at the end, bit of neck ache which haven't had before, also felt like the first half of the journey was more trouble than it was worth, the second half felt good though, even got another full lycra clad cyclist who drafted me on the Surbiton to Kingston road for about 2 miles, and even thanked me for the draught when we hit Kingston! Usually these guys just fly past me. :smile:

High winds are scary though, I'll take the 1 degree riding weather over high winds any day.

http://app.strava.com/activities/53461909

(And no clipless moments!)

img1814lp.jpg

Must have been nice to be above a trig point, they're normally the highest things around

RWright

Guru
Adding on previous post, what saddle bag is that, looks roomy enough for my needs.

Did my first 10mile without stopping (except for a small traffic light), quite windy but managed 15.3mph. Was busy at work and totally misread the forecast with rains apparently for tomorrow and not today as I was wrongly expecting.

I have tightened a couple of spokes on the front wheel but I'm getting some cracking sounds coming from the front wheel. It is similar to spokes rubbing on each other except the spokes on the RS10 front are radial and don't overlap. Could these be the nipples under tension rubbing against the rim? Shall I try some WD40 on them?

Love the black wrapping on your Synapse. The white ones look nice only new / clean in the showroom :sad:

I wish I could help you out with the cracking sound but I have a very slight ping sound that I can not figure out too. I don't even know if it is coming from the front wheel or front mech. I guess tonight will be a bike on the work stand trouble shooting night. I am glad you mentioned spokes, I need to check mine. I want to get my bikes ready for the Strava Battaglia in Montagna challenge. It looks like it could be a little tough. An average of 36 or so miles a day for two weeks :ohmy:.

Black bar tape is a must for me. If my chain comes off or something similar, I am going to reach down and put it back on without putting on rubber gloves. When on the road I am pretty much going to do any repairs without taking time to put on rubber gloves, even though I carry a pair in my saddle bag. Anything other than black bar tape just won't work for me.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

If you referring to my pic, its a Topeak Aero Wedge - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-with-straps-ec008139

please note there is a quickclip version which has a part which attaches to the underside of the saddle and you can much more quickly remove the bag, otherwise it is the same bag - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-quick-clip-saddle-bag-ec033780#answers

Good size though, have 2x inner tubes, Hexus II multi-tool, Proflate Elite inflator, 1 extra spare C02 canister, skullcap, buff, long fingered gloves, 2x missing link still in packet, yellow tinted lens for glasses, and some latex gloves for onsite maintenance and I still hadn't unzipped the central zipper for more space.

img1816qx.jpg

I would go with the quickclip one though if I was repurchasing.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
If the suns out theres no better place :smile:

I was back in Swansea this morning. Took a photo of the apple just for you.

It was wet and very windy this morning though. I must be getting fitter as I really enjoyed the ride despite the weather. I've ridden over 130 miles in the last 7 days. I need 29 miles tomorrow for my first 100 mile Strava week.

There was a charity ride from Cardiff to Tenby involving about 1,000 riders. I spoke to a couple. They were riding 100 miles into a 20+ mph westerly

image.jpg

Not been out yet :cry:,
I have changed the bottom 3 gears from 11/13/15 to 12/14/16, these should give me a better ratio from the 16 to 18 rather than the 15-18, might even get to spin a bit quicker.
This current set almost matches the previous set up I had 1 & 2 on the 30th with a 28 and 24 is almost identical to the 26 with 24 and 21 and like wise on the 52 ring the 12/14/16 almost the same as 48 & 11/13/15. The 40th ring is now slightly lower than the 38th was set up, so again should be easier to spin.
The only problem is the bottom three are from a cheaper cassette if this works well there is an HG50 with the same ratios.

I was back in Swansea this morning. Took a photo of the apple just for you.

It was wet and very windy this morning though. I must be getting fitter as I really enjoyed the ride despite the weather. I've ridden over 130 miles in the last 7 days. I need 29 miles tomorrow for my first 100 mile Strava week.

There was a charity ride from Cardiff to Tenby involving about 1,000 riders. I spoke to a couple. They were riding 100 miles into a 20+ mph westerly

View attachment 23125
You can do it Phil, and well done on the distance so far, the fitness does sort of creep up on you.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
If you referring to my pic, its a Topeak Aero Wedge - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-with-straps-ec008139

please note there is a quickclip version which has a part which attaches to the underside of the saddle and you can much more quickly remove the bag, otherwise it is the same bag - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-quick-clip-saddle-bag-ec033780#answers

Good size though, have 2x inner tubes, Hexus II multi-tool, Proflate Elite inflator, 1 extra spare C02 canister, skullcap, buff, long fingered gloves, 2x missing link still in packet, yellow tinted lens for glasses, and some latex gloves for onsite maintenance and I still hadn't unzipped the central zipper for more space.

I would go with the quickclip one though if I was repurchasing.
You must pack yours better than me :laugh: I can't seem to fit all that in. Is yours the large or medium? I really like them as well.

...........along with the tiredness ^_^ Tomorrow morning still looks reasonable so might just do a short easy ride then really must have a couple of days off I think. Monday and Tuesday are looking wet and windy anyway so that will coincide nicely!
Not sure if your ticker has been updated from your ride this morning, if it has, I look forward to passing your yearly target.^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom