Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Day off for me today. Feeling the 100km from Sunday in my legs. Wind and rain for the next few days. I nearly took the mudguards off yesterday. Glad I didn't.

simmi

Über Member
After riding 125 miles over the bank holiday weekend I decided to mix it up with a run this evening.
I was only going to do a few miles but felt quite good so turned out to be my longest run to date.
9 miles in a very steady 1:28:40 http://app.strava.com/activities/52930113
I felt a bit dehydrated by the end I need to find a way of taking some fluid with me now the weather is warming up.

After riding 125 miles over the bank holiday weekend I decided to mix it up with a run this evening.
I was only going to do a few miles but felt quite good so turned out to be my longest run to date.
9 miles in a very steady 1:28:40 http://app.strava.com/activities/52930113
I felt a bit dehydrated by the end I need to find a way of taking some fluid with me now the weather is warming up.
http://www.amazon.com/The-BeerBelly-200-001-80-Ounce-Belly/dp/B001RB2CXY?

Well I had an interesting weekend! Having planned to do a metric Ton Sunday I was informed that the eldest was coming home and he wanted to go for a ride, which was nice but sadly he's not had the chance to do much riding so we did a 16 mile loop but at an average of 16.4 which was really good for him. Oddly none of my electronics worked so had to manually input onto Strava. I thought that on Monday I would go out on my own and do a 35 or so but some mates wanted a ride but didn't want to go that far as they are training for a sportive next week and needed a short one. We started out and 2 miles in one of them broke his chain, that was sorted and I snapped a cleat, enough said, I limped back 5 miles and binned it. Today (yes there's more) I was in London and brought some new cleats, I thought I'd got Keo's but the guy put Delta's in the bag, no good. Anyhoo, I took the Carrera TDF out for a spin as it was lovely here this evening, OMG, what a difference from the Defy 1. Nigel, I pushed as had as I could to try to see what the difference was in ave speed and I got it up to 15.7 over a flat 14 miles where I'm averaging about 18 on the Defy, if you want to up your speed, change your bike! To be fair, the TDF isn't set up for me, has clipped pedals and is heavier but geeze it felt it, bloomin hard work.
So moral of the story, murphy's law gets you in the end and generally you get what you pay for in life and If you don't check then sometimes you get given what didn't want and it costs you anyway!!!
Great work out there everyone and a belated happy BD MO. :smile:

I'm new to all this road bike stuff so I'm guessing this is a good figure over 60+ miles? I did find it hard at times and I have to say that the last 15 miles were done on a couple of High 5 energy gels, seems good stuff!
I would say very good, the most I have done recently is 63.63ft/mile over the course which was 2723ft over 42.8 miles @ 13.60mph, but it did include a cat4 climb.

Well I had an interesting weekend! Having planned to do a metric Ton Sunday I was informed that the eldest was coming home and he wanted to go for a ride, which was nice but sadly he's not had the chance to do much riding so we did a 16 mile loop but at an average of 16.4 which was really good for him. Oddly none of my electronics worked so had to manually input onto Strava. I thought that on Monday I would go out on my own and do a 35 or so but some mates wanted a ride but didn't want to go that far as they are training for a sportive next week and needed a short one. We started out and 2 miles in one of them broke his chain, that was sorted and I snapped a cleat, enough said, I limped back 5 miles and binned it. Today (yes there's more) I was in London and brought some new cleats, I thought I'd got Keo's but the guy put Delta's in the bag, no good. Anyhoo, I took the Carrera TDF out for a spin as it was lovely here this evening, OMG, what a difference from the Defy 1. Nigel, I pushed as had as I could to try to see what the difference was in ave speed and I got it up to 15.7 over a flat 14 miles where I'm averaging about 18 on the Defy, if you want to up your speed, change your bike! To be fair, the TDF isn't set up for me, has clipped pedals and is heavier but geeze it felt it, bloomin hard work.
So moral of the story, murphy's law gets you in the end and generally you get what you pay for in life and If you don't check then sometimes you get given what didn't want and it costs you anyway!!!
Great work out there everyone and a belated happy BD MO. :smile:
I can manage 17-18 over flat ground for that sort of distance, the routes I do aren't flat, there not hilly by any means, but flat there not. If you can show me away of getting any sort a decent bike on £25 a week, I will snap your hand off.
Besides I started with the aim of getting to about 15mph, so I can take my camera kit, which I can now do, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom