Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, a fellow early bird ^_^ You even beat me to it today. I set off at 5am with the intention of doing a longish ride as this is meant to be the only really nice day this week before the wind and rain comes back :sad:

Did my longest ride so far. Just over 52 miles. Must have been that bit of birthday cake that I took with me that kept me going. :laugh:
Got to agree with Simon, I guess by the end of next week, and again over 14mph, with quite a climb in there, well done.

Did manage another 8 mile loop on the T3 avg 17.1. Stunning weather :sun: makes going to the night shift even harder.:cry:
Great avg Brian, I have never managed anything like that, I did manage a 30 mile run last year at 16'ish, though i did do a 17mph the other week but greatly wind assisted, about 9 miles.

simmi

Über Member
L
Ok, I got the old chainset back on new chain, (and tool) acera on the back 13/15/17/19/21/24/28 rear and 50 or 52/40/30 front
My low is a tad lower from 28.49" to 28.18" but I have lost 9" on high (this will make a difference downhill), though the step down from the 40th front to the 30th looks better than the 38th to 26th.
This might explain it better.
View attachment 22951
Gear for gear they are on the whole slightly lower, and shorter cranks 170mm opposed to 172.5mm, might mean i might be able to spin slightly higher, we will see.
Looks to give you a good number of unique gear combinations, and a 30/28 will get you up anything around here without too much trouble. I would think with your 7 speed triple as opposed to the 10 speed compact double most of us have you are at no real disadvantage other than you need to switch between 3 chainrings in order to find the right cadence.

L
Looks to give you a good number of unique gear combinations, and a 30/28 will get you up anything around here without too much trouble. I would think with your 7 speed triple as opposed to the 10 speed compact double most of us have you are at no real disadvantage other than you need to switch between 3 chainrings in order to find the right cadence.
I am losing out on top end, I hardly ever use the 28" anymore, even doing those cat 4's last week I think I was 35" but no lower than 32"
I will see how the acera gets on last time I used it it wasn't to great at shifting, I have give it good clean and oil.
If I find I never use the 28 I can always take that out and put the 11 back

simmi

Über Member
I am losing out on top end, I hardly ever use the 28" anymore, even doing those cat 4's last week I think I was 35" but no lower than 32"
I will see how the acera gets on last time I used it it wasn't to great at shifting, I have give it good clean and oil.
If I find I never use the 28 I can always take that out and put the 11 back
My top end combo is 11/50 which I spin out at about 40mph so with your 13/52 I wouldn't think you would spin out too often other than real steep drops which I always use for a little rest anyway. I like to get on the drops and get as low as I can.

My top end combo is 11/50 which I spin out at about 40mph so with your 13/52 I wouldn't think you would spin out too often other than real steep drops which I always use for a little rest anyway. I like to get on the drops and get as low as I can.
I know, I dont tend to go to fast down hill anyway (part the reason avg's are low), but I was using the 114" 48x11 I had sometimes, I will keep in eye out for an 8sp sora shifter on ebay that way i can get it back tough it will be 124"
he last one was about £30, I can get 9sp for about 50, but then need a new chain and cassette.

simmi

Über Member
cc1.jpg

This is me (far left) and a few of my fellow Cycle Supreme Cycling Club members sporting our new club kit.
We are just back from our 70 miler on Sunday and all looking a bit jaded.
I did 125 miles over the bank holiday weekend so was pleased but not surprised to see my weight is now down to 13st 10lb a total loss of 2 1/2 stone, not bad since my diet now has more or less stopped, I eat most of what I want now and control my weight with exercise, win, win^_^
My original goal was to loose 2 stone but now I am into club cycling I would like to get as low as I can,maybe even down to 12 stone:wacko: weight is OK on flat routes but where hills are involved I get left big time by the racing snakes.:thumbsdown:

cc1.jpg

This is me (far left) and a few of my fellow Cycle Supreme Cycling Club members sporting our new club kit.
I did 125 miles over the bank holiday weekend so was pleased but not surprised to see my weight is now down to 13st 10lb a total loss of 2 1/2 stone, not bad since my diet now has more or less stopped, I eat most of what I want now and control my weight with exercise, win, win^_^
My original goal was to loose 2 stone but now I am into club cycling I would like to get as low as I can,maybe even down to 12 stone:wacko: weight is OK on flat routes but where hills are involved I get left big time by the racing snakes.:thumbsdown:
I cant see why not I guess I must be about that, next time I am in Cas Market I will weigh myself.
I might as well turn round and go home as it would make no difference, I would be left behind by about the same pace as if I was going forwards :whistle:

LeeOsborne

cc1.jpg

That's a good weight loss. I only started riding back in January, didn't ride at all in March due to the weather, but have now lost 16lb so far. I did 63 miles on Sunday with a total ascent of 5556ft. I don't like hills :sad: Haven't had a weigh in yet but hoping to have shed a pound or two.

That's a good weight loss. I only started riding back in January, didn't ride at all in March due to the weather, but have now lost 16lb so far. I did 63 miles on Sunday with a total ascent of 5556ft. I don't like hills :sad: Haven't had a weigh in yet but hoping to have shed a pound or two.
I hardly ever get to 88ft/mile, only time I do it's short rides.

simmi

Über Member
Great work mate! 5556ft of climbing is huge not even got close to that in one ride.

MaxInc

Love the colour scheme, they seems to have been designed for my bike :smile: Well done on loosing the ballast so far, it is great indeed to reach a point where not to care what you eat anymore.

MaxInc

I am losing out on top end, I hardly ever use the 28" anymore, even doing those cat 4's last week I think I was 35" but no lower than 32".

You can always apply #5 to increase the uphill speed which will compensate for the "lack of top end". Or get a motorbike and smoke everyone :becool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom