Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think my Garmin robbed me of a couple of miles this evening. I looked down a few times and noticed the speed was registering 0 and miles were not accumulating, cadence and heart rate still appeared to be working ok. I let it go a while the first time I noticed it, thinking maybe it would correct itself. I had gone a pretty good ways before I thought about it again and it was still at the same mileage and a zero speed. I could turn the computer off and back on again and it would start showing speed and accumulating mileage again. It was very cloudy (and breezy :rolleyes:) I hope it was a combination of the clouds and the thick tall trees on each side of many of the roads I was riding on today that caused it. I have ridden them before and didn't notice any problems.

It was a slow dull ride with the breeze like it was. Nothing really fun or funny happened and my Garmin was acting up. One of those days. :dry:

Edit: According to map my ride, I got robbed 3.4 miles. It is strange because the route on Strava does not show any gaps. I think I might go to the Garmin help forums and have a little chat with someone. ;)
The magnet on the wheel hasn't been displaced by any chance.
The ride last night, I was pleased with, 32.1 miles in 2:05:02.4 15.38 mph and whilst not as fast (4 /1/2 ft/mile less than the midday ride), I kept a cadence of 80r.p.m on average.
I also managed to hold between 16.5 and 18mph for about 4 miles on the flat.
http://app.strava.com/activities/51973900?segment_created=true#934477411
and according to strava over 100,000ft climbing this year.
I have also adjusted the handle bars, I have tilted the bars down a little and move the levers up the bars a little, it more comfortable on the hoods and also on the drops, something I couldn't really do before, as it felt awkward.
Next thing is the front mech I think, and a chain this one must have done 5,000 miles.

Don't like the sound of that dose of Can'tbebothereditis!

Cold here too - just been for a walk around the village - newbie progress planned for this evening. Will be trying out my newly leveled saddle.

Looking forward to shaving maybe 0.1 seconds off my time.:laugh:
Mo will be back.

MaxInc

Managed to shave another 50seconds from my morning sprint, I need to find a longer route as this one is getting shorter each day. Half the routes is on a cycle lane on pavement uphill and I have 3 stops-starts for crossing adjacent roads which are eating all my momentum. I should try this on the road :sad: Quite please with being able to catch up and overtake a road bike commuter ... I'm sure he wasn't pushing at all but it felt really good :dance:

Best of all, my wife felt really good this morning :scratch:and she offered to finance me a new road bike :bicycle: I'm sure I'm gonna find out the reason as soon as I'll get it but I think it's time to visit my LBS ...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Managed to shave another 50seconds from my morning sprint, I need to find a longer route as this one is getting shorter each day. Half the routes is on a cycle lane on pavement uphill and I have 3 stops-starts for crossing adjacent roads which are eating all my momentum. I should try this on the road :sad: Quite please with being able to catch up and overtake a road bike commuter ... I'm sure he wasn't pushing at all but it felt really good :dance:

Best of all, my wife felt really good this morning :scratch:and she offered to finance me a new road bike :bicycle: I'm sure I'm gonna find out the reason as soon as I'll get it but I think it's time to visit my LBS ...

A scalp is a scalp

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I don't normally go out for morning rides but it was gloriously sunny this morning and not too windy (10mph). The forecast for this afternoon and tomorrow is cloudy and 16mph so I decided to go for a short ride on the triban. Ended up doing 30 miles as I was really enjoying it. Started off gently at first but then picked up the pace and ended up averaging 16.6mph which isn't much slower than I do on short rides on that bike.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You guys are putting me to shame this morning. As it turns out, it isn't actually too bad a morning. Must admit I enjoy an early morning walk/jog with the dog too. Since I am the typical menopausal woman at risk of osteoporosis I probably should do a bit more weight bearing exercise anyway. Kind of thinking along the lines of four days cycling and three days trying to include some jogging. Out with the dog anyway and she doesn't mind :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Don't think there will be any newbie progress today. Overcast, windy with rain forecast and a touch of can'tbebothereditis.

Just gone 6am and about to head out with the pooch instead. May try little jogs between the walks.

Don't blame you. When I watched the forecast this morning if it wasn't raining in Scotland it was forecast to snow.

MaxInc

The forecast for today was "Go out and ride!" And I'm glad I did, although at 6C in the morning wasn't much fun to begin with, it warmed up pretty quickly. Later I visited my LSB at Sidcup Cycle Centre which happened to have in stock a boxed 56cm Cannondale Synapse 5 105 :becool: .

Extremely friendly and helpful chap, measured me up and adjusted the bike, gave me a 3 year free service plan which includes one major strip-down and rebuild, and even thrown in a spare tube and set of pedals. As it turns out we also share a passion for motorbikes, him being a mechanic for 30 years :smile: He probably knows what he's doing.

He spent some time and showed me different types of clip-less pedals and explained how they work and such, how and why people fall off with them and how can it be prevented. Seemed pretty simple so I might give them a try but after I get used to the bike a little first.

It gets even better as they seem to have their own cycling club with road ride outs every Saturday and off-road every Sunday with different classes of riders ... he even classified me as an intermediate only because I ride a MTB ... but showed signs of doubt when I told him about my biggest ride so far ... hehe

Really anxious to see how faster / exiting new bike will be. All in all I burned 1,100kcal so far for not too many miles but feel more alive than ever. Even did a few PR's and reached 32mph down the trail which felt awesome :hyper:.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The forecast for today was "Go out and ride!" And I'm glad I did, although at 6C in the morning wasn't much fun to begin with, it warmed up pretty quickly. Later I visited my LSB at Sidcup Cycle Centre which happened to have in stock a boxed 56cm Cannondale Synapse 5 105 :becool: .

Extremely friendly and helpful chap, measured me up and adjusted the bike, gave me a 3 year free service plan which includes one major strip-down and rebuild, and even thrown in a spare tube and set of pedals. As it turns out we also share a passion for motorbikes, him being a mechanic for 30 years :smile: He probably knows what he's doing.

He spent some time and showed me different types of clip-less pedals and explained how they work and such, how and why people fall off with them and how can it be prevented. Seemed pretty simple so I might give them a try but after I get used to the bike a little first.

It gets even better as they seem to have their own cycling club with road ride outs every Saturday and off-road every Sunday with different classes of riders ... he even classified me as an intermediate only because I ride a MTB ... but showed signs of doubt when I told him about my biggest ride so far ... hehe

Really anxious to see how faster / exiting new bike will be. All in all I burned 1,100kcal so far for not too many miles but feel more alive than ever. Even did a few PR's and reached 32mph down the trail which felt awesome :hyper:.

Welcome to the Cannondale Synapse club!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Result!

You can always use SH56 cleats instead of the SH51's - all the benefits but no falling off!

I know your part of the world well - I lived in Dartford, Gravesend and then T.Wells before moving to Kendal in '97. My lovely wife was born in Orpington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom