Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
Just been out for 16.5 miles before it got dark. Took it easier than normal, whilst still not dordling. I actually enjoyed it a lot more and was only 0.5mph slower than normal on that route.

I'll have to learn to take it easy more often. :whistle: I'd probably be more inclined to get more miles in then too.

The strong winds we've been having for weeks are finally going to die down tomorrow so I'll be going for another ride tomorrow to finish April off. Roll on May! Loving these light nights :biggrin:

Well done on getting out and riding. After the100K sportive I "took it easy" on the ride back home, about 5 miles or so. I was very surprised when I got home to find out I got a pb on every segment bar one. I still cant get my head around that one!

Well done on getting out and riding. After the100K sportive I "took it easy" on the ride back home, about 5 miles or so. I was very surprised when I got home to find out I got a pb on every segment bar one. I still cant get my head around that one!
Yeah, why did you choke on that last segment?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Are you sure you didn't have the wind behind you? If not perhaps you were still "wound up" from the sportive.

Yeah, why did you choke on that last segment?

:laugh::laugh:

RWright

Guru
It was cloudy and the roads were starting to dry out so I took off, the sun came out roads dried, temperature was great and just a slight breeze that felt good. I was going to go ahead and knock out a 50 miler and get my 1000 miles for the month. Everything was perfect, then at mile 20 all hell broke loose. I was on one of my normal tracks and shifted up to the big front ring so I could stand and power up a small hill. The chain came off and was bent pretty bad this time. I decided to try and straighten in rather than replace it since I was only about 5 or 6 miles from home.

I got it straight enough to head towards home just keeping it on the small front ring and coasting down the small hills and spinning lightly up them. I got to a section were I cross over a median between two lanes of yet to be opened highway. I knew they had been working on it, doing some digging and putting in gravel and such, they had covered it with straw to keep the soil and grass seed from washing away when it rained. I have been over it several times already and thought nothing of it. What I didn't think about was that it would not drain like regular soil there. I started sinking very quickly. :eek: I impress myself with how fast I can unclip my pedals sometimes now. I unclip and my bike just stays there, standing upright, stuck in the mud.

I finally got back home, hands and gloves filthy from grease ( thankfully still using my old gloves, I have to do the 1000 miles before I let myself open the new ones :rolleyes: ), and my wheels and cleats looked like I had just finished a mountain bike race. I just so happened to get almost exactly half of what I need to get my 1000 miles by tomorrow...I think, I need to get Steve and Davey to do those KM to mile calculations for me, I may have finished last week. ;)

It was cloudy and the roads were starting to dry out so I took off, the sun came out roads dried, temperature was great and just a slight breeze that felt good. I was going to go ahead and knock out a 50 miler and get my 1000 miles for the month. Everything was perfect, then at mile 20 all hell broke loose. I was on one of my normal tracks and shifted up to the big front ring so I could stand and power up a small hill. The chain came off and was bent pretty bad this time. I decided to try and straighten in rather than replace it since I was only about 5 or 6 miles from home.

I got it straight enough to head towards home just keeping it on the small front ring and coasting down the small hills and spinning lightly up them. I got to a section were I cross over a median between two lanes of yet to be opened highway. I knew they had been working on it, doing some digging and putting in gravel and such, they had covered it with straw to keep the soil and grass seed from washing away when it rained. I have been over it several times already and thought nothing of it. What I didn't think about was that it would not drain like regular soil there. I started sinking very quickly. :eek: I impress myself with how fast I can unclip my pedals sometimes now. I unclip and my bike just stays there, standing upright, stuck in the mud.

I finally got back home, hands and gloves filthy from grease ( thankfully still using my old gloves, I have to do the 1000 miles before I let myself open the new ones :rolleyes: ), and my wheels and cleats looked like I had just finished a mountain bike race. I just so happened to get almost exactly half of what I need to get my 1000 miles by tomorrow...I think, I need to get Steve and Davey to do those KM to mile calculations for me, I may have finished last week. ;)

This made me spew beer at my laptop screen.

stevey

Guru
Not to laugh dude but bloody hell it did, at least ya ok :smile:

SWSteve

Guru

There are 6km in a mile...right:whistle:

That does sound pretty grim with all the mud/straw, but I was waiting for there to be some wild US style huge predator sitting there waiting for people to approach. I was disappointed with the lack of another animal attack story of yours if I'm completely honest, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom