Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been looking at that, the only thing i dont like is the triple chain ring like the granny ring on my MTB it never gets used anymore but for the price could be a starter
You have to view gears as what they are, I have a triple on my Viking.
When I started I had a 30th inner ring and a 34th rear making 1:086 ratio or 23.2 gear inch.
I currently have a 26 front and a 24 rear 1:1.06 ratio or 28.5" low and 48x11 1:4.25 or 114.8"
The original was 30x26 ratio 1:1.12or 30.3" low and 52x13 1:3.90 or 105.2"
As you will see I have a better range then the original gears but having a triple allows you to have a closer rear ratio cassette, yet still retain a low range, this has been negated somewhat with 9 and 10 sp with up at leat a 30/32 rear possible with a 34 front 34x30 would give you 1:1.10 or 29.9" not much higher than my 26x24, which I dont use very much these days, but there are still time I am in it briefly..

Anyway seems my challenge is over yet again, having tried to make up so much lost time. There is a creaking from the head bearings, I am going to have a look but I fear, once i take the steerer tube out it may collapse, if not i will grease it and see, I dont see me getting a replacement before Monday as I need to know which to order.
As you will probably gather not a route I do often, a reasonable pace for me, I did a relatively easy route for the miles, because i hate riding primarily flat routes.
Some p.b's early on as these a segments i dont do often, in some not since last Aug/Sep.
http://app.strava.com/activities/50619570

Thanks Ian, for liking the fact the challenge maybe over.;)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Let it creak. :bicycle:

GT85 is the answer and then carry on riding

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Anyway seems my challenge is over yet again, having tried to make up so much lost time. There is a creaking from the head bearings, I am going to have a look but I fear, once i take the steerer tube out it may collapse, if not i will grease it and see, I dont see me getting a replacement before Monday as I need to know which to order.
As you will probably gather not a route I do often, a reasonable pace for me, I did a relatively easy route for the miles, because i hate riding primarily flat routes.
Some p.b's early on as these a segments i dont do often, in some not since last Aug/Sep.
http://app.strava.com/activities/50619570
Oh no, you seem to be hitting a run of bad luck with the bike just now :sad: Hope when you open it up you find it is just needing a good grease and tightened down and you manage to get going again.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I avoided the chance of getting to 100 miles for the week and went for a hill climb session instead. I've still done 96 miles since Saturday but I can't get out tomorrow so will need to get the 100 miles next week.

I rode the same route as Tuesday and beat 4 Strava personal bests. I took over 2 minutes off the 3 mile, 700 ft climb. I still took over 27 minutes but I'm sure that will come down over the next few weeks.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50640768

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I avoided the chance of getting to 100 miles for the week and went for a hill climb session instead. I've still done 96 miles since Saturday but I can't get out tomorrow so will need to get the 100 miles next week.

I rode the same route as Tuesday and beat 4 Strava personal bests. I took over 2 minutes off the 3 mile, 700 ft climb. I still took over 27 minutes but I'm sure that will come down over the next few weeks.

At least you have a target for next week, nice ride

nip out now, 4 miles come on Phil. Sure you can do it,
I am off out to test the re-greased headset Chris.
Oh no, you seem to be hitting a run of bad luck with the bike just now :sad: Hope when you open it up you find it is just needing a good grease and tightened down and you manage to get going again.
The bearings look shot to me, and quiet a bit of rusty stuff on the tube, might still get that headset at some point soon, but I was looking to upgrade it to at least an 8 sp, with a new front mech as I know the one I have is a little out of true.
I think I need a new bike, so I can strip and rebuild this one. It might not be the bee's knee's but we have done some miles together.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
nip out now, 4 miles come on Phil. Sure you can do it,
I am off out to test the re-greased

I may find some time tomorrow, I'll put it down to a recovery ride. Planning a long ride Saturday morning so I rather be ready for that so may not ride tomorrow and have a goal to aim for next week. I'll see how I feel after work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom