Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Progress 1:

Ok - my bike is now indexed and ready to roll ONCE THE BLOOMING WEATHER SORTS ITSELF OUT AND STOPS RAINING!!!!!!!

The indexing went fine apart from the fact that on the FD I tried to set the 0-0.5mm outer plate clearance before performing the trim action! Dopey Boy!

How do you measure 0.5mm without a feeler gauge? I just shone a torch up from below and did it as the tiniest sliver of light showing through. Just the odd photon or so at a rough guess!

Progress 2:

I deleted my Mycyclinglog a/c - despite having done over 400 miles this year (Wow!) my little green strip resolutely stuck at an even more embarrassing 160 - and that's despite doing the tap the computer screen thingy with a pencil. Anyway kicked that into touch.

So I enlisted the services of Mrs SpokeyDokey who is known at work as the Queen of Excel and she has created me a wonderful spreadsheet that is exactly what I need. I've got a nice data entry form, it calculates everything that I need it to and it graphs it all in (albeit slightly girly colours but I'm not moaning) glorious technicolour. I'm ok with Excel but Mrs SD is a real whizz and does all sorts of things in the, too me, Third Realm of VBA. It is festooned with conditional statements and fancy date calculations plus even opens up in the right cell on the right worksheet even though I can save/close the thing down in any cell on any worksheet. She has protected large chunks of it too as I will "mess it up"! All beyond me really. She said it was a piece of cake but demanded wine as payment - I obliged of course.

Hope you are all having a whale of a time in drier locales. Stay safe everyone - there's loonies out there!.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Great weather again here and my Day off.

I need to move down there! Here it is a uniform dark-ish grey. It is drizzling heavily. I can't even see the sheep or the three new horses that have appeared in the field down the other end of the village. It's that murky.

Still, Kendal is the second best place to live in the country according to a recent survey. :laugh:

Progress 1:

Ok - my bike is now indexed and ready to roll ONCE THE BLOOMING WEATHER SORTS ITSELF OUT AND STOPS RAINING!!!!!!!

The indexing went fine apart from the fact that on the FD I tried to set the 0-0.5mm outer plate clearance before performing the trim action! Dopey Boy!

How do you measure 0.5mm without a feeler gauge? I just shone a torch up from below and did it as the tiniest sliver of light showing through. Just the odd photon or so at a rough guess!

Progress 2:

I deleted my Mycyclinglog a/c - despite having done over 400 miles this year (Wow!) my little green strip resolutely stuck at an even more embarrassing 160 - and that's despite doing the tap the computer screen thingy with a pencil. Anyway kicked that into touch.

So I enlisted the services of Mrs SpokeyDokey who is known at work as the Queen of Excel and she has created me a wonderful spreadsheet that is exactly what I need. I've got a nice data entry form, it calculates everything that I need it to and it graphs it all in (albeit slightly girly colours but I'm not moaning) glorious technicolour. I'm ok with Excel but Mrs SD is a real whizz and does all sorts of things in the, too me, Third Realm of VBA. It is festooned with conditional statements and fancy date calculations plus even opens up in the right cell on the right worksheet even though I can save/close the thing down in any cell on any worksheet. She has protected large chunks of it too as I will "mess it up"! All beyond me really. She said it was a piece of cake but demanded wine as payment - I obliged of course.

Hope you are all having a whale of a time in drier locales. Stay safe everyone - there's loonies out there!.
She can finish mine off, then. It works well enough, but the daily update routine is a bit naff.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I also use excel to log my mileage only and to forecast where my mileage will be on a monthly basis. Though I do have a dump of all my mycyclinglog data in it, so I could get a bit more techy if I wanted to.

Started following some of you guys on strava hope ya dont mind, and regards bike the more i hear of this triban 3 the more i like (not having a great budget and the like) :smile:
If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with A T3. Get the red one while you can.

IanA

Started following some of you guys on strava hope ya dont mind, and regards bike the more i hear of this triban 3 the more i like (not having a great budget and the like) :smile:

The only issues I have with the Triban is chain ring selector.....from 30 coming upto 39 is temperamental. And, the wheel bearings are cheap. I took to stripping the bike of everything I didn't need the day before the race, ie, bags, bottle , even bottle holder. Then took the wheels out for cleaning of chain and rear cogs etc....

I ended up going with the front wheel back to Decathlon as the bearings on the front wheel felt shot ! I've an engineering background so stripped it prior to returning it and found the shells of the bearing worn and pitted....

However, even a NEW BTwin front wheel felt rough !

But for £300 is a good buy. What I did see there, is a white version, and cheaper...not sure of the weight, but it has " micro shift " selectors....Vekta who are a local cycles/race prep shop commented the other day that the make is good. One advantage with the microshift make is that you can reach the shift up and down from the drops..which is not possible on the Triban3 unless you have alien length thumbs !

IanA

How fast are you when racing? 21 mph is very quick to me.

Nice pic' of your Dad btw - they rode bikes bigger back then!

I had no bag for the iPhone so couldn't run Strava. The average for the race was 19.1

There are a couple of gentle climbs with a dragged out and higher climb mid section over a marshalling yard near Crewe which you climb going out then later on the return, but on the flat I tried to hold between 20 and 22 mph and 30 on the gentle descents. the final 1.3 mile is the killer, only 40' climb but by that stage I had next to nothing left in the legs.

As for the bike and my dad, he was small compared to the majority of racers, just powerful legs with high cadence that they called twiddling back in the 50's

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The only issues I have with the Triban is chain ring selector.....from 30 coming upto 39 is temperamental. And, the wheel bearings are cheap. I took to stripping the bike of everything I didn't need the day before the race, ie, bags, bottle , even bottle holder. Then took the wheels out for cleaning of chain and rear cogs etc....

I ended up going with the front wheel back to Decathlon as the bearings on the front wheel felt shot ! I've an engineering background so stripped it prior to returning it and found the shells of the bearing worn and pitted....

However, even a NEW BTwin front wheel felt rough !

But for £300 is a good buy. What I did see there, is a white version, and cheaper...not sure of the weight, but it has " micro shift " selectors....Vekta who are a local cycles/race prep shop commented the other day that the make is good. One advantage with the microshift make is that you can reach the shift up and down from the drops..which is not possible on the Triban3 unless you have alien length thumbs !

I think the white one might be the 3A, it doesn't come with carbon forks if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom