Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

It is quite a mix, but we're a good bunch. I'm sure the posts speak for themselves and it's fair to say everyone recognises personal achievement here, whether it's your first mile or your first 100 miler.

Well said Andy. We all started out as beginners and so we know how hard it is just to get the first few miles in and congratulate anyone who's at that stage. This thread has become a nice sort of sub-forum. The same group of people have been here since the start but new people are always coming and joining in which is great, and they get just as much encouragement as the people who have been posting in here for the last 8 months. And we should all be proud it is that way and hasn't become a clique, which so often happens on forums.

Brian - Well done on the continued weight loss and cracking 17mph average! Your story about your hybrid made me smile. When I first started on my old wreck of a MTB I was averaging about the same and it killed me to do 3 miles at that speed because of the incline in Bricklehampton, which felt like a mountain at the time but is in fact only 60 feet of climbing in total. :laugh:

Chris - 1000 miles and only the 24th of the month. :ohmy: That's amazing, I wish I had your motivation.

MaxInc

Me neither, I'm using a watch ATM for HRM but it would be nice to log the fitness level and monitor progress in time. I use Runmeter which I think is the same app as cyclemeter but everyone around here seem to be connected on Strava and I'm wondering if It may be the better option.

Does Strava provide support for Heart rate monitors connected via iPhone?
If it's recorded in the gps file which strava recognizes h.r. and cadence data will be shown (or should be, I dont know all file formats, but tcx files contain h.r. and cadence, I dont think gpx does).

Just back from 7.9 circuit and I can't believe I have knocked another minute off, now down to 26 mins 55 secs giving and avg 17.2. :highfive:

The only thing different I did was to attack the hills by standing up and going for it.
First time I have broke the 17mph average (I know it's only a short run though).
Just weighed in and I am below 18 stone for the first time in erm..............:shy:
Well done, and especially on the weight front it's a great achievement, and your still quicker than me.
Well said Andy. We all started out as beginners and so we know how hard it is just to get the first few miles in and congratulate anyone who's at that stage. This thread has become a nice sort of sub-forum. The same group of people have been here since the start but new people are always coming and joining in which is great, and they get just as much encouragement as the people who have been posting in here for the last 8 months. And we should all be proud it is that way and hasn't become a clique, which so often happens on forums.
:thumbsup:
Just to echo Andy's statement, I don't think there's has ever been a criticism of anyone or their equipment (cycling) in this thread.

I have just attained my fastest speed to date (well since June) of 35.6mph, and I might even manage the challenge after all, less than 200miles to do.
I am a bit chuffed this was an improvement as it's a bit of slog being so straight and exposed, Fox & Hounds to A1 A639
http://app.strava.com/activities/50427541

Mo1959

Legendary Member
If it's recorded in the gps file which strava recognizes h.r. and cadence data will be shown (or should be, I dont know all file formats, but tcx files contain h.r. and cadence, I dont think gpx does).

Well done, and especially on the weight front it's a great achievement, and your still quicker than me.

:thumbsup:
Just to echo Andy's statement, I don't think there's has ever been a criticism of anyone or their equipment (cycling) in this thread.

I have just attained my fastest speed to date (well since June) of 35.6mph, and I might even manage the challenge after all, less than 200miles to do.
I am a bit chuffed this was an improvement as it's a bit of slog being so straight and exposed, Fox & Hounds to A1 A639
http://app.strava.com/activities/50427541
Nice one Nigel and I think you probably will complete the challenge. I had a nice downhill section this morning too and it is a segment with some fast times but I chickened out on going too fast as it is twisty and my cornering at speed isn't great. Plus, can't hear cars coming for the noise of the wind whistling past your ears. ^_^

Nice one Nigel and I think you probably will complete the challenge. I had a nice downhill section this morning too and it is a segment with some fast times but I chickened out on going too fast as it is twisty and my cornering at speed isn't great. Plus, can't hear cars coming for the noise of the wind whistling past your ears. ^_^
Thanks Mo, it's been difficult catching up, at this moment I am still 35 miles behind target, but I hope to get out later to clock another few and that will put me on my greatest distance in any one calender month since I started, and has it happens in the same number of days.Though on a rolling 30 history I have done more in the last 30 days (24 ridden) than any other, 765.3miles, though I have ridden higher averages
30day history.JPG

monthhist.JPG

The saddle was better today, but that might be because I am not quite so sore.

The surface on the one I was on, isn't that great, and a really nasty rough bend toward the bottom.
Rocky should get there tonight.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Just back from 7.9 circuit and I can't believe I have knocked another minute off, now down to 26 mins 55 secs giving and avg 17.2. :highfive:

The only thing different I did was to attack the hills by standing up and going for it.
First time I have broke the 17mph average (I know it's only a short run though).
Just weighed in and I am below 18 stone for the first time in erm..............:shy:
Very well done. Seems like things are working out for you.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

That's quick! I can only dream of speeds like that - good on you and well done re the sub 18 stone achievement too. 17 stone next!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mine isn't either Mo, the new wheels, and tyres have helped, and I think this is where some of my increased speed has come from.
Also today might have been i forgot to put my saddle bag on.:blush:

RWright

Guru
I think I am going to do an early ride today and one later. I want to be out of town and the lights at precisely 8:54 pm my time to watch the International Space Station. It is supposed to be more visible here this week and I have never seen it. I know which direction to look, now I just have to find some pictures of what to look for. (I just youtubed and think I know now) ;)

Cycling with binoculars around my neck might be interesting. :ohmy:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Another great ride this afternoon. It was a flat ride where I focused on keeping my cadence high. Over a 65 minute ride I did 15.4 miles, averaged 14.1 mph for speed and 81 rpm for cadence. This is the first time I've averaged over 14 and 80. My average heart rate seems to to be dropping as well :smile:

I'm also on course to do my first 100 mile week. I've ridden 86 miles since Saturday. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom