Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's interesting what you say about standing up and stretching your back. I only stand up to pedal on the very steepest of hills but I'll try and do it more, stretching my back should help prevent getting back pain on the Focus.
I am trying to spin more up the hills, but if I have a small incline, I will try and power up it, on longer inclines I will alternate as i damaged my right leg in a fall some years ago (compression injury up from the foot), and my right thigh aches much sooner than my left, and it not the cleats as this happened with clips.

Saddles, I got one from Evans about 6 weeks ago and wasn't happy with so I tried the original for a while and it seemed ok, I tried the new again tonight and it seems better. Specialized Riva Road Saddle it was on offer at £15.
There is a young lad at work who has owned a bike now for nearly a week and has a 100km ride this weekend, he says he'll be fit enough coz of all the football and running. I can only imagine how sore he is going to feel in the saddle department :eek:

well done to all you guys I really am looking forward to a half day tomorrow and getting out for a couple of hours
I got my viking Monday Aft, and set of to London Monday Evening, mind I was only 45. It is possible he will do it ok, I was doing 50 miles a day with panniers.
Yes, I'm not very mechanically minded either and had a similar rattle and it was the headset. I think when I fitted a new stem, I got things back to front and tightened the clamp bolts before the top one which tightens everything down. Once I realised and watched a you tube clip I slackened everything off again and tightened down the top bolt first then retightened the stem bolts. All quiet now.
You seem to be doing ok with stuff Mo.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Glad to see all the progress being made.

None made here since the 15th due to:

1) Thyroid problem has worsened - apparently my blocking treatment for over-activity was too high and I have gone 'under'. I am now 100% knackered and am adjusting to the new dose. Whilst tired I am now insomniac!

2) My business has seasonal peaks and I am working flat out.

3) We are having stuff done in the house - it is a mess plus I like to keep an eye on how things are progressing. Sucks up time.

4) Our gardener has disappeared - this is painful. Trying to find another one. Garden is big-ish and is hard to keep on top of. Hate it!

5) There was a cabling issue on my bike causing a kink and subsequent sticky-ness of the rear brake. First class LBS has re-routed housings (3 on top tube). I would not have figured out how to do it! Not as easy as it would seem. Did not have time to wait for him to cable and index and did not want to leave bike and return later so I said I would install new cables etc. This takes a while esp' threading the buggers through the Brifters - fiddly. Run out of time so bike is fully braked but gear-less at the moment. I find the tinkering relaxing though.

Excuses, excuses!

MaxInc

One's definition for beginner varies a lot on this thread, however I'm very glad with my progress so far. Managed to accumulate 40km in my debut week but my legs are awakening every day. I mapped a 4mile route which I'm racing against this week. I'm alternating one trip a day with 2 trips a day every other day to give enough time to my muscles to recover. So far I'm gaining about 1 minute every day so that's good progress in my book. Perhaps the most important aspect is that I compensate in determination where I lack in performance. Can't wait to get back on the saddle :smile:

stevey

Guru
Just to add i try and get out as much as poss lately what i have found is i am trying to incorporate as many hills as poss and although i am slightly out of breath my recovery usually only takes a couple of minutes then I am fine again. And this is dragging my 2007 mtb around so all in all quite pleased with progress. Cannot wait for a new bike though but at the moment funds saying not just yet.....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You will need to change your ticker too, well Chris.

Ticker is staying as it is!

I have a new target but I am keeping it to myself. Back in December when I set the 4,000 target I honestly thought it would be a challenge but achievable, I have really surprised myself, getting on the scales every month and seeing another 3 or 4lb has disappeared is really keeping me motivated.

boybiker

Guru
One's definition for beginner varies a lot on this thread, however I'm very glad with my progress so far. Managed to accumulate 40km in my debut week but my legs are awakening every day. I mapped a 4mile route which I'm racing against this week. I'm alternating one trip a day with 2 trips a day every other day to give enough time to my muscles to recover. So far I'm gaining about 1 minute every day so that's good progress in my book. Perhaps the most important aspect is that I compensate in determination where I lack in performance. Can't wait to get back on the saddle :smile:

Well done on the progress. You will be surprised how quickly you can start doing longer / faster rides. Use strava to track your progress and see yourself getting better.

Broke the 1,000 miles for the month for the second month running with this ride. Think I might have to stop calling myself a beginner soon, might go for enthusiastic amateur instead.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50401343

You are now officially banned from this thread :laugh: :tongue:

Ticker is staying as it is!

I have a new target but I am keeping it to myself. Back in December when I set the 4,000 target I honestly thought it would be a challenge but achievable, I have really surprised myself, getting on the scales every month and seeing another 3 or 4lb has disappeared is really keeping me motivated.
I think I might have managed 1,000 miles this month (just) bar the wheels.

On another note, people are kind sometimes, I was given a couple of shirts by a friend from the photo group I attend. One is really nice three pockets which are nice and deep, deep enough for my mini pump.

Just finished putting the old hybrid back together after a wheel bearing rebuild amongst other things. Felt very strange riding it for the first time in ages. Seems very slow and heavy, but it's just right for family rides with my two boys so she will be staying.
When I cleared the computer I smiled as I saw my avg speed for the last ride I had done was 9mph! (About 6 months ago) yesterday's was 16 .6 mph. :biggrin: :biggrin:

AndyPeace

It is quite a mix, but we're a good bunch. I'm sure the posts speak for themselves and it's fair to say everyone recognises personal achievement here, whether it's your first mile or your first 100 miler.

Just back from 7.9 circuit and I can't believe I have knocked another minute off, now down to 26 mins 55 secs giving and avg 17.2. :highfive:

The only thing different I did was to attack the hills by standing up and going for it.
First time I have broke the 17mph average (I know it's only a short run though).
Just weighed in and I am below 18 stone for the first time in erm..............:shy:

Ciar

Veteran
Does Strava provide support for Heart rate monitors connected via iPhone?
I still have not bought myself one, I really want to buy not sure what's good or bad out there, i know cyclemeter you can use monitors, just checked the Strava app and it shows you can use ANT+ with bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom