Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
Good luck I'm sure you will be fine Ian :thumbsup:.

I managed to get out and do a ride in this lovely weather. I want to try and improve my climbing in the coming weeks so I I headed for a few hills with some nice down hill descents.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50239471

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Just been out for 13 miles on the new bike. Still trying to build up gradually on it. The saddle is very unforgiving, as is the aggressive riding position and at first it hurt my back. I didn't have any pain on that ride though so I'll start to build up gradually more on it. Other than that it's a joy to ride, so much better at soaking up the road buzz than the Triban and so much quicker too.

May take the Triban out later for a gentle evening ride later. Got to make the most of this great weather, the forecast is rain all day Friday and Saturday and now they are saying some rain on Thursday too.

boybiker

Guru
Just been out for 13 miles on the new bike. Still trying to build up gradually on it. The saddle is very unforgiving, as is the aggressive riding position and at first it hurt my back. I didn't have any pain on that ride though so I'll start to build up gradually more on it. Other than that it's a joy to ride, so much better at soaking up the road buzz than the Triban and so much quicker too.

May take the Triban out later for a gentle evening ride later. Got to make the most of this great weather, the forecast is rain all day Friday and Saturday and now they are saying some rain on Thursday too.

What new bike have you got?

I hope this good weather keeps up I've got a 100KM sportive this Sunday!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

What new bike have you got?

I hope this good weather keeps up I've got a 100KM sportive this Sunday!

A Focus Cayo Evo 4.0. It's a very aggressive racy bike with a short head tube. I didn't think it would be such a shock to the system as it's not so different from the Triban as the Triban was from my old MTB! But if anything it's been even harder to adjust. My body is getting used to it though. I love the speed too, I just averaged 17mph without really pushing that hard whereas the other day I flogged myself on the Triban to get 16.6mph.

Forecast here for Sunday is that it's going back to being sunny again. Hopefully they are right!

RWright

Guru
My ass still gets sore some but it is a lot better than what it was. I was talking to a young man that is a mountain bike endurance racer. I am not sure of the exact format of the races but just from the description of the type riding, it sounds a little extreme for me.:blink: Anyway, I was talking with him and another very good road and mountain bike rider from the local bike shop in my town about saddles and my ass getting sore. My local guy told me that he gets people in complaining a lot early on and said it is a bicycle seat, not a sofa, you have to work up to being more comfortable and it will never be like laying on the sofa or riding in a large cushioned car seat. He was not being rude to me or talking bad about anyone else we were just having a normal conversation.

The other mountain bike endurance racing guy also worked at a bike shop but in the metro area north of me. We were discussing saddles and soreness as well and what he told me was that a lot of the discomfort comes from your ass muscles getting tired and not supporting you later in the ride like they do in the early part, they just lose strength and don't hold you off the saddle. With this in mind I started doing a lot more riding out of the saddle to try and build up my ass muscles more (I don't know the exact name of the muscles, sorry for the crude description of the muscles). I think it has helped me doing a lot more standing while I ride. It helps build the muscles and allows you to stretch your back and legs, as well as take pressure off your ass. I will get out of the saddle on the flats, going up small rises, hills, I will even get out of the saddle going down hills. Going up hills I often times shift to a higher gear now and stand and attack until I get tired. Be careful trying that at first, drivetrains don't really like that sometimes. I have bent my chain a little a couple of times doing that, I am now seeing the value of higher spec group sets. Hopefully I will get better at shifting too.

Another thing I noticed is the pro road racers, they cover a lot of miles and they spend a fair amount of time out of the saddle. I still get sore but nothing like I did before since working on strengthening my butt muscles and spending more time out of the saddle.

Well just tried the 5.3 mile route without the 7yr old, did it in 29 mins, few little climbs left me feeling dead, am home now and feel sick and now have a horrible migraine, that can't be normal??
Pretty much how I felt, apart from the migraine.

Good luck I'm sure you will be fine Ian :thumbsup:.

I managed to get out and do a ride in this lovely weather. I want to try and improve my climbing in the coming weeks so I I headed for a few hills with some nice down hill descents.

http://app.strava.com/activities/50239471
You call, almost getting blown off and learning in the wind 45degrees lovely, your mad.

give me some rain if its calmer, 15mph winds, with gusts must have been twice that, I will go out in the wind, but by golly gee it can be dangerous, it's not the riding bit or the effort thats ok these days, I just learnt to except to take it easier in the wind.
Still I managed 7 p.b's

http://app.strava.com/activities/50275244

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

My ass still gets sore some but it is a lot better than what it was. I was talking to a young man that is a mountain bike endurance racer. I am not sure of the exact format of the races but just from the description of the type riding, it sounds a little extreme for me.:blink: Anyway, I was talking with him and another very good road and mountain bike rider from the local bike shop in my town about saddles and my ass getting sore. My local guy told me that he gets people in complaining a lot early on and said it is a bicycle seat, not a sofa, you have to work up to being more comfortable and it will never be like laying on the sofa or riding in a large cushioned car seat. He was not being rude to me or talking bad about anyone else we were just having a normal conversation.

The other mountain bike endurance racing guy also worked at a bike shop but in the metro area north of me. We were discussing saddles and soreness as well and what he told me was that a lot of the discomfort comes from your ass muscles getting tired and not supporting you later in the ride like they do in the early part, they just lose strength and don't hold you off the saddle. With this in mind I started doing a lot more riding out of the saddle to try and build up my ass muscles more (I don't know the exact name of the muscles, sorry for the crude description of the muscles). I think it has helped me doing a lot more standing while I ride. It helps build the muscles and allows you to stretch your back. I will get out of the saddle on the flats, going up small rises, hills, I will even get out of the saddle going down hills. Going up hills I often times shift to a higher gear now and stand and attack until I get tired. Be careful trying that at first, drivetrains don't really like that sometimes. I have bent my chain a little a couple of times doing that, I am now seeing the value of higher spec group sets. Hopefully I will get better at shifting too.

Another thing I noticed is the pro road racers, they cover a lot of miles and they spend a fair amount of time out of the saddle. I still get sore but nothing like I did before since working on strengthening my butt muscles and spending more time out of the saddle.

Yeah I think there's a lot to be said for just getting used to the saddle. When I first got the Triban I was in a lot of pain for the first 3 weeks but eventually my body got used to it and it never hurts me now. When I got the Focus I was in pain and so bought a Charge Spoon and it was exactly the same. It's not the saddle, it's the more aggressive seating position. Leaning forward puts more pressure on......other areas. I'll get used to it eventually though, just gotta build up gradually.

It's interesting what you say about standing up and stretching your back. I only stand up to pedal on the very steepest of hills but I'll try and do it more, stretching my back should help prevent getting back pain on the Focus.

I've seen the Pros climb up 10km sections of mountain and they're out of the saddle the whole time. I've got a long way to go until I do something like that! I think the technical term for the muscles in your rear is glutes by the way!

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

give me some rain if its calmer, 15mph winds, with gusts must have been twice that, I will go out in the wind, but by golly gee it can be dangerous, it's not the riding bit or the effort thats ok these days, I just learnt to except to take it easier in the wind.
Still I managed 7 p.b's

http://app.strava.com/activities/50275244

As much as I hate the wind I think I still prefer it to rain. I just feel so miserable when I'm soaked to the skin. I wish it didn't have to be so windy when it's sunny though. I think what's most annoying of all are non-cyclists who say what a perfect day it is for cycling. They just don't appreciate how bad wind is when you're on a bike going at pace! Unless the wind is over 17-20mph, they don't really notice it I think. To be fair I didn't before I started cycling either.

As much as I hate the wind I think I still prefer it to rain. I just feel so miserable when I'm soaked to the skin. I wish it didn't have to be so windy when it's sunny though. I think what's most annoying of all are non-cyclists who say what a perfect day it is for cycling. They just don't appreciate how bad wind is when you're on a bike going at pace! Unless the wind is over 17-20mph, they don't really notice it I think. To be fair I didn't before I started cycling either.
Being a naturist I feel contacted to the planet (not because I am a naturist, it's just how I feel, and I think the two really go hand in hand, don't get me wrong I know others view naturism as something else).
I used to work on the shores collecting shell fish, mainly whelks, and I swear on a really calm day you could hear the tide turn, just a gentle swoosh over the sea.
I can feel any sort of wind, and does have an effect on performance, though like you James because of increased fitness, it's not quite the issue it was last year,

boybiker

Guru
A Focus Cayo Evo 4.0. It's a very aggressive racy bike with a short head tube. I didn't think it would be such a shock to the system as it's not so different from the Triban as the Triban was from my old MTB! But if anything it's been even harder to adjust. My body is getting used to it though. I love the speed too, I just averaged 17mph without really pushing that hard whereas the other day I flogged myself on the Triban to get 16.6mph.

Forecast here for Sunday is that it's going back to being sunny again. Hopefully they are right!

Yeah the bike certainly does make a difference.I had a VERY old and heavy road bike then I bought my Defy one so one end of the scale to the other!

Yeah the bike certainly does make a difference.I had a VERY old and heavy road bike then I bought my Defy one so one end of the scale to the other!
Wheels make a difference. Did I mention I got some new ones.^_^
The Challenge well with 7 days to go I have 382Km left to do just 53Km behind target really, but like Mo I am tired, I have to do 53Km a day for the next week. i am going to knock 10km off it shortly as I have to go out pick up some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom