Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another nice day for riding here. I took my phone to get a few pictures at a big local lake. This is one of my favorite roads. It has very low traffic and rolling hills with a smooth surface. You can stand or sit, coast, grind, spin, however you want to ride it. It is only about 4 or 5 miles long, but there are many others just beyond this area, in a big lake area, very similar to it, that I will be riding more as the year rolls along. These new roads I am riding are making things more interesting.

I didn't have my camera out when I ran up on two huge Turkey Vultures eating something in the roadxx(. A car had just overtaken me and I noticed the birds barely even flinched when it went by them. I start singing to try and scare them, they don't pay any attention. I yell, they don't even look up. I was getting closer now and a little nervous about them flying into me when I got beside them, these bird wingspan must have been about 6 feet. I finally came out of the saddle and started sprinting at them as hard as I could go, while I was doing my Klingon death scream. That did the trick,:hello: I am just glad nobody was around. Small children might have been emotionally scarred for years, adults too for that matter.
Oh, I am so jealous of your roads if they are all like that one. Sometimes I think I am sitting on a pneumatic drill instead of a bike they are so rough and potholed around here. It is getting to the stage that you can barely take your eyes off the road to look at the views or you are in danger of taking out a wheel if you hit a bad one.

Got out myself this morning and tried a new route. I knew the weather was to break down so was out the door at 5.40am and got nearly 2 hours in before the heavens opened so timed it not too badly.

Steady crew! Riding at that hour deserves respect. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Went out for a windy but warm 8 miles circuit blast, was surprised to do it in 29 mins again given the strong headwinds.:scratch:

Still can't make my mind up over new phone :headshake:

Anyone popping into Lidl's tomorrow for the cycling specials?

Just chilling out for tonight's night shift, last of the week.

SamC

I thought I hated the wind (for general hair-ruining and umbrella-destroying reasons), then I cycled 20 miles into the wind yesterday and realised I didn’t know what it was to hate the wind at all :laugh:.

Pleased with myself for going from a person who didn't think they could ride a bike at all to someone who can cycle 20 miles without too much trouble (apart from a sore bum) within a week though.

I thought I hated the wind (for general hair-ruining and umbrella-destroying reasons), then I cycled 20 miles into the wind yesterday and realised I didn’t know what it was to hate the wind at all :laugh:.

Pleased with myself for going from a person who didn't think they could ride a bike at all to someone who can cycle 20 miles without too much trouble (apart from a sore bum) within a week though.
:welcome:
I think any of us would be, 20 miles in a week is good in itself, but into the winds we have been having is a remarkable achievement.
Though in time you will find the headwind isn't so dangerous (just energy sapping) it's side winds that are a danger, though I guess you know this.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Another nice day for riding here. I took my phone to get a few pictures at a big local lake. This is one of my favorite roads. It has very low traffic and rolling hills with a smooth surface. You can stand or sit, coast, grind, spin, however you want to ride it. It is only about 4 or 5 miles long, but there are many others just beyond this area, in a big lake area, very similar to it, that I will be riding more as the year rolls along. These new roads I am riding are making things more interesting.

Love the story, particularly the Klingon death scream. :laugh: That's a beautiful stretch of road. Are the roads around you asphalt as opposed to concrete? I always imagined cycling on concrete roads would be pretty unpleasant but I'm not sure how many roads in America are concrete. I know the main highways are but I'm not sure about the smaller roads. If all the roads around you are smooth asphalt I may have to emigrate!

We British love a good moan and to run ourselves down but unfortunately transport is one thing is a real problem here, just as it is in another small overpopulated countries. And that volume of traffic just destroys the roads. Some of the roads are so bad here that if I am on my hardtail I unlock the suspension, so you can imagine how bad it is on a road bike! It doesn't help that with the recession local councils have been afraid to put up council tax, mine hasn't gone up even 1% since 2008/9. So something had to be cut from the budget I guess.

Today is the windiest day since I started cycling. Even by 6pm the wind will still be 23mph. So may stay in this evening I think.

SamC

:welcome:
I think any of us would be, 20 miles in a week is good in itself, but into the winds we have been having is a remarkable achievement.
Though in time you will find the headwind isn't so dangerous (just energy sapping) it's side winds that are a danger, though I guess you know this.

Thank you ^_^. I'm happy to have found something I seem to have decent stamina for as I've never been remotely athletic. The opposite in fact!

I wouldn't mind the wind, but why does it have to change direction so that I'm cycling into it on the way out and again on the way home? :sad: "I'll go this way so the wind is behind me"... wrong!

A sudden gust of wind from a side street got me yesterday. I may have shouted an expletive or two due to the surprise of almost being blown over :shy: !

Thank you ^_^. I'm happy to have found something I seem to have decent stamina for as I've never been remotely athletic. The opposite in fact!

I wouldn't mind the wind, but why does it have to change direction so that I'm cycling into it on the way out and again on the way home? :sad: "I'll go this way so the wind is behind me"... wrong!

A sudden gust of wind from a side street got me yesterday. I may have shouted an expletive or two due to the surprise of almost being blown over :shy: !
You will learn to cope with the wind better, I try and plan a route into the prevailing winds on the way out (other commitments aside), and whilst you dont always get a tailwind home, usually the wind isn't so fierce, though side winds from the rear are as dangerous IMHO as they are from the front or side.
As your fitness improves you will find the wind dosn't sap your energy so much, us a lower gear into the wind but try and maintain a steady cadence, accept the fact that the leg into the wind isn't going to break any records.

simmi

Über Member
I am starting to get a little tired of this wind! I wont be out for a few days so hope it will be gone by then.

The old garmin edge 500 let me down again, it restarted after about 5 miles then switched itself off, I had to enter my true course into garmin connect when I got back to find my real distance but obviously have no idea as to time or speed all I know was it was slow, 14mph at best.
63.61 miles in about 4:30:00

http://app.strava.com/activities/49244961

Good to see that most of you are still braving this wind, which is not the case for other road cyclists around here on an average ride I would see between 10 and 20 people on racers today I did not see one!

I am starting to get a little tired of this wind! I wont be out for a few days so hope it will be gone by then.

The old garmin edge 500 let me down again, it restarted after about 5 miles then switched itself off, I had to enter my true course into garmin connect when I got back to find my real distance but obviously have no idea as to time or speed all I know was it was slow, 14mph at best.
63.61 miles in about 4:30:00

http://app.strava.com/activities/49244961

Good to see that most of you are still braving this wind, which is not the case for other road cyclists around here on an average ride I would see between 10 and 20 people on racers today I did not see one!
Nice ride even though, wish I could do 14mph over a metric century, well done.
I have so far missed this bout of wind, hopefully wheels will be here tomorrow, you never know I might gain a little speed, not so much lighter wheels, I don't think 1/4 of Kg will make much difference, but hopefully they will roll better than the XR18's.

If all else fails with the Garmin do a factory reset.

I just double checked as the Torino is a 7sp the distance between the stays and it is 130mm, so it is good upto 10 sp conversion.

simmi

Über Member
Nice ride even though, wish I could do 14mph over a metric century, well done.
I have so far missed this bout of wind, hopefully wheels will be here tomorrow, you never know I might gain a little speed, not so much lighter wheels, I don't think 1/4 of Kg will make much difference, but hopefully they will roll better than the XR18's.

If all else fails with the Garmin do a factory reset.

I just double checked as the Torino is a 7sp the distance between the stays and it is 130mm, so it is good upto 10 sp conversion.
Although it's warmer the wind has made it quite unpleasant so all in all as good a time as any to be out of action.
I am sure your new wheels will be a revelation to you, with all the spokes you have replaced I would think they would not only be buckled but your hubs would almost certainly be off center too.
PB's a plenty are on the horizon!

Although it's warmer the wind has made it quite unpleasant so all in all as good a time as any to be out of action.
I am sure your new wheels will be a revelation to you, with all the spokes you have replaced I would think they would not only be buckled but your hubs would almost certainly be off center too.
PB's a plenty are on the horizon!
:smile: From what I have read these aren't usually too bad on spokes, the down side is the cost, ten times the price for one, I pay between 35-50p at Evans deepens who's on. I have tried looking after the hubs, they spin free enough, well the front did, but I couldn't tell if the back is off or not because it is so out of true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom