Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

Didn't quite get out at early o' clock but then it is my last day off today :smile: got out late morning and I think I caught the best part of the day, from a cooling mist as I started to climb into Malvern to a nice few sunny spells latter in the ride...no noticable wind at all. Slowed by traffic through Upton (all very curtious, but the town center has a very narrow road) and then latter near Castlemorton...but this time by sheep and their lambs straying into the road, which added to the long overdue 'Spring' feeling. Really pleased with my climbing efforts on which I did not stop on any of the grades...rewarded with some stunning views of The Malvern Hills from all angles and legs that must be getting stronger...

@ Nigel Hope your bike gets sorted swifty

fingers crossed...
Didn't quite get out at early o' clock but then it is my last day off today :smile: got out late morning and I think I caught the best part of the day, from a cooling mist as I started to climb into Malvern to a nice few sunny spells latter in the ride...no noticable wind at all. Slowed by traffic through Upton (all very curtious, but the town center has a very narrow road) and then latter near Castlemorton...but this time by sheep and their lambs straying into the road, which added to the long overdue 'Spring' feeling. Really pleased with my climbing efforts on which I did not stop on any of the grades...rewarded with some stunning views of The Malvern Hills from all angles and legs that must be getting stronger...

@ Nigel Hope your bike gets sorted swifty
Cheers, seems ok, no rear mud guard at the mo, rear wheel still as straight as a donkeys hind leg mind.
I think it's the wheels/hubs that might be slowing me down, a little.
More importantly I am only 2 miles from 1800 for the year.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
16.02m / 1:09:23 / 13.83 Av'.

Very happy with this ride - my average speed is slowly increasing without me making any deliberate effort.

I have noticed that some of the "hills" when I started and struggled up in 36/28 are now "slopes" that I go up in 46/21 which is 16 gear inches difference.

Surprised at how quickly you improve.

Aiming for my first 100 mile plus month for April (done 59.4 so far) - pathetic for some but good progress for me.:smile:

Hope you all had/have good rides today.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Very happy with this ride - my average speed is slowly increasing without me making any deliberate effort.

I have noticed that some of the "hills" when I started and struggled up in 36/28 are now "slopes" that I go up in 46/21 which is 16 gear inches difference.

Surprised at how quickly you improve.

Aiming for my first 100 mile plus month for April (done 59.4 so far) - pathetic for some but good progress for me.:smile:

Hope you all had/have good rides today.

It's all relative, as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter whether you do 100 miles or a 1000 miles, at least you are out doing it.

Reece

Veteran
Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out cycling this weekend. Doing some repairs to my car tomorrow ready for the mot then tidying the garden and Sunday I'm going paintballing and go karting as a thank you from work for getting all the new cars prepped for sale in march.

Already thinking how I can get some sort of ride in though lol!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out cycling this weekend. Doing some repairs to my car tomorrow ready for the mot then tidying the garden and Sunday I'm going paintballing and go karting as a thank you from work for getting all the new cars prepped for sale in march.

Already thinking how I can get some sort of ride in though lol!
Slap your Garmin in your pocket when you are on the karts

RWright

Guru
It's all relative, as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter whether you do 100 miles or a 1000 miles, at least you are out doing it.

agree 100%, just stick with it.

It is raining here today, washing off all this green blanket of pollen. :thumbsup: I probably will not get any miles in unless it is tonight after the rain. I may just do a quick 15 miles or so to stretch the legs. I have been putting in more miles recently and everything seems to be ok for now except for getting a hotspot on the bottom of my right foot. I am feeling it walking around barefoot today. :sad: I will work on cleat adjustment for that and hopefully can get it worked out without having to have new shoes or do any major work to my current ones.

Nigel, I hope you can get your bike sorted out. I started working on my old Raleigh rain bikes and found the one I have had for a while needed steering tube service, it was sort of crunchy feeling when I turned the bars. I knew it had ball bearings and was careful but they still about all ended up on the floor. My more recent one needs some wheel bearing service and I don't want to ride it like it is, so now I have no rain bike for a little while until I can get it all sorted. The brakes on both of those bikes are weak, even with new pads and I have to be very careful going from a light drop bar bike that stops on a dime to an old tank that never really actually stops until you put your feet down. :smile: I know good brake pads are sort of pricey but might be a worthwhile investment. I don't mean the stupid high price ones but maybe more the upper mid range ones. There are a lot of suggestions in the accessories area. I am still on the pads that came with my drop bar bikes and they are fine so far. I don't know the brand. I am lucky that I don't have to get on the brakes very often but when I do, I sometimes get on them hard and violently, they have been working very well after I got the pull adjusted the way I like.

AndyPeace

Cheers, seems ok, no rear mud guard at the mo, rear wheel still as straight as a donkeys hind leg mind.
I think it's the wheels/hubs that might be slowing me down, a little.
More importantly I am only 2 miles from 1800 for the year.

With today's rides I'm on 1806 miles :smile: but tbf you've gained 10,000ft more elevation than me:eek: ...though that may be comparable to the 8 extra miles I've ridden:P

RWright

Guru
As soon as I had typed my last post the sun came out, the wind dried the roads quickly. I went out to address the hot spot issue from my shoes, I think I almost totally resolved it by just taking the sole cushion from an old pair of Footjoy golf shoes and putting them in the riding shoes. I am not playing golf anymore anyway. :smile: It was a nice ride but windy. I found a telescoping magnet at the curb store (don't have one of those till now) and spotted a nice looking laundry basket. I have been sort of wanting an extra laundry basket.I couldn't figure out a good way to carry it home except over my head, since it was windy I decided I will go back and pick it up in my truck, if it is still there. ^_^
http://app.strava.com/activities/48470272

As soon as I had typed my last post the sun came out, the wind dried the roads quickly. I went out to address the hot spot issue from my shoes, I think I almost totally resolved it by just taking the sole cushion from an old pair of Footjoy golf shoes and putting them in the riding shoes. I am not playing golf anymore anyway. :smile: It was a nice ride but windy. I found a telescoping magnet at the curb store (don't have one of those till now) and spotted a nice looking laundry basket. I have been sort of wanting an extra laundry basket.I couldn't figure out a good way to carry it home except over my head, since it was windy I decided I will go back and pick it up in my truck, if it is still there. ^_^
http://app.strava.com/activities/48470272
Your putting the miles in Rocky.
Well I think I sorted the wheel, at least it ran quite on the quick 16 mile test, must put the mud guard back on though.
Just these of note edging closer to the sub min for this.
http://app.strava.com/activities/48472187#849505434
and I must have been heading into a wind on this one last time or I stopped (which is likely)
as I was 7'49" quicker over 2.9 miles.
http://app.strava.com/activities/48472187#849505419
I have complete 1,800 miles this year and just 1.68mile short of my longest distance in a week (Sun to Sat) I have done 433.6 miles in the last 14 days

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member

I have noticed that some of the "hills" when I started and struggled up in 36/28 are now "slopes" that I go up

Isn't it great to remember how we used to struggle up places we can now get up there? I'm awake early for some reason and I think I may just have been inspired to get out and join the birds and maybe even go and tackle one of my own hill routes (few and far between in Sleaford)

Have a great weekend folks :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom